Access To Real Estate Listings....thoughts - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Access To Real Estate Listings....thoughts

Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Access To Real Estate Listings....thoughts

As a Home Improvement contractor, do you think having access to current R/E listings would be beneficial in any way, shape or form?
My thought is along these lines.
You can look through current listings and see how long a listing has been on the market and with that data, market your services directly to the home owner, via cold calling (which I know most people hate) or direct mailing. And with that target marketing, you can tailor services that may be beneficial to someone looking to sell their property. I would not let on that you know the property is for sale, but work that into the presentation (playing dumb)
I know one can search various websites for listed props. but they are not always up to date, may not give the address of, contact phone # and or sellers name.
Thanks,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Access To Real Estate Listings....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram View Post
...with that target marketing, you can tailor services that may be beneficial to someone looking to sell their property...
Or you could just answer some ads from craigslist that say: Looking for a REASONABLY priced painter. Must be experienced and have own tools and Ins. $12 hr.

Advertisement

I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I think that's a really drilled down, highly targeted marketing idea. Careful with the cold calling, the do not call list is for real and it has teeth.

I can tell you from experience that most houses that have been sitting on the market usually don't have owners who are willing to dump money into them but haven't just because they haven't been randomly approached to do it. There is always a seller behind every listing and not saying you won't find someone to bite but most sellers will lower the price before spending money out of their pocket.

There is a twist to this and it hasn't been brought up in a long time, but there is a business model where you approach these people and offer to fix it up, you front all the money for the fix up and get paid when it sells and take your profit from the increased sales price. That's a legitimate business model and can work, there is a pretty successful company in Denver doing exactly that, but I know they have a very, very low volume because only a very small percentage of these potential homes will actually make money by doing this. They have 2 or 3 full time people rooting out these potential candidates and I believe each one closes on a house about every 3 months or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: kitchen cabinet maker and installer
Rewards Points: 500

A couple of years ago when business was slow I considered doing this, but some research and test marketing showed that, by and large, when a homeowner decided to sell they do not want to spend a single penny on the property.

Also, because they are usually over-reaching on the property that they are hoping to buy, they are both short of money and asking too much for the house they are trying to sell

We find that a lot of our sales come from people who have recently moved. If I was direct mailing ( I couldn't bring myself to cold-call because I hate it when it is does to me) I would target people who have recently moved in. If any age information was available I would target people of retirement age

John
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Mike and John have given you some excellent info.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

I'm doing one of those jobs right now. Basically finishing or fixing everything that never got done for the last few years. Strictly T & M. The bill will probably be around $2000. I think they will definately recoup that amount and perhaps a few grand more in the re-sale.

I think $2000 on the high end of what people will spend to sell there house, and you certainly won't be doing any new kitchens or baths.

I do agree with the others though. I don't think there are that many people who are willing to spend the money on a place they're leaving.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
my own boss

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

my general will occasionally buy/remod/sell, which might be your best bet and getting your brokers license will increase your profit. heck, just by getting your realtor license and having a broker hold them gives you access to your state mls listings not to mention what kind of business relationship you could foster with your broker.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I've been going after the buyers for years. Here all of the info is published in the paper every Sun. Buyers/sellers name, addy, price, sq. ft. and taxes. Pick your price range and send them a decent congrats card with your business card inside. Hand address the envelope and inside the card write something like 'We would like to congratulate you on the purchase your new home. If we may be of any assistance, please call us.'

A lot of high-end buyers walk in the door with a punchlist and have set aside the money to make it "their" home. You just have to get to them first.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #9

Trade: Cabinetry, carpentry.
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt View Post
I've been going after the buyers for years. Here all of the info is published in the paper every Sun. Buyers/sellers name, addy, price, sq. ft. and taxes. Pick your price range and send them a decent congrats card with your business card inside. Hand address the envelope and inside the card write something like 'We would like to congratulate you on the purchase your new home. If we may be of any assistance, please call us.'

A lot of high-end buyers walk in the door with a punchlist and have set aside the money to make it "their" home. You just have to get to them first.
shhh... don't tell everyone!

I've been doing very well with almost the same program. There are literally dozens of cracker box track home developments within 10 miles of my shop. I have a kid come in every two weeks, see who's closed on a house, and send them off a nice package detailing the advantages of having us do their built-ins (if they were smart enough NOT to pay the builder to do it). Hit on probably better than 1 out of every 10 we send, an excellent retrun rate. And if you can get in early enough... the word of mouth among the neighbors is incredible (and FREE!!!) advertising.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

El, I posted this years ago, it's nothing new. And your right, I'm stacked up until this lull is over and my advertizing budget for this year is 0.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #11
Flooring? What's that?

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 150

Due to My father in law being real estate savy and showing me the ropes on purchasing a home recently ... I have found that through a simple search on the county recorders office website you can find out the owners name and address if it differs from the property that is up for sale ... So it seems that even if they have moved or own multiple properties you can try this on a smaller scale by simply going to some of these properties and looking through the windows like any prospective buyer would ... see if your trade could possibly help with the sale of the home. Through our search for a home, I've found plenty of properties that could use some new flooring ... My idea will be to contact the owner about the property and possibly offer a discount to him to do the work or extend that offer to any of his perspective buyers as a selling tool ... that way you not only have informed the seller of your services and offered them to him with a discount, any time a buyer is looking at the home and brings up that (this and that needs done) the seller can promote your offer to those buyers ... this will only increase your name recognition and closing of sales ... gl to all that try this ... as I'm going to be testing this theory for the next few months ... and predict that as we get into the march madness season for flooring ... it will not only increase my sales but my closing rate too.

Advertisement