Is 4wd Necessary? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Is 4wd Necessary?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Is 4wd Necessary?

I have a guy who we've recently hired that states he NEEDS a 4wd....for safety reasons. This guy lives in VT. We supply the vehicle and it is up to me to budget company vehicles. I said that it would be practical to have it, but you don't NEED 4wd to do what we do.

If the roads aren't passable, they aren't passable. The customers' driveways have to be cleared for our appointment or we can't come in, plain and simple. I have a hard time understanding why this guy lives in VT and he can't drive in snow unless he has a 4wd. I was looking at a front wheel drive.

My argument was that I drive all day long in VT and I don't see that every single person uses 4wd. Car lots are full of that.....cars.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Is 4wd Necessary?

4wd just gets most people in trouble.
AWD might be a help, but if it's that bad stay off the road....
someone else'll take you out anyway

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,036

I don't buy cars, and I won't own a truck that isn't 4WD, but it has a lot more to do with what I use my truck for away from work than when working. Tell the guy he gets what he gets or he can provide his own vehicle.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Helpful in deep sand. Or far off-road. 2wheel drive is fine in up to 14-20" of snow. It's all I ever used in Germany or the States in deep snow. Maybe he just can't drive and wants one.

BTW Every time it snows or ices up here, the State PD issues advisories for all those 4wd owners to stay OFF the roads. They honestly aren't suitable for wintry conditions beyond a standing start in deep snow.
I've driven everything from VW's to Semi's in the snow.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

An age-old management trick is to nod your head and promptly forget all about his request. Chances are he will forget all about it and find something else to whine about. If it does come back up, repeat step one.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

My 2 wheel drive Nissan Titan handles the snow fine.....parked in my warehouse. I generally drive my Caravan during the winter, the front wheel drive works fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Safety reasons?
Sorry, that's bullcrap
There's no "safety" benefits to 4wd...not to get to work anyway
Front wheel drive sedans are much better in the snow
Lets face it, you can count the 4wd SUVs on the side of the road every time it snows dumped by idiots that think 4wd and ABS makes a truck stick and stop in ice/slush/snow
It's still a truck, and ABS can increase stopping distances in the snow
Technically if you are into a slide in snow, and know how to use 4wd, it might help you straighten out
But mostly it creates a false sense of security and makes driver stupider

If he needs a vehicle for safety reasons, get him a nice little low profile front drive sedan
(there are more deaths-from rollovers-in trucks/SUVs than any other vehicles -by a huge margin...not a percentage, but 10 - 40 times depending on which reports you are looking at- you're much safer in a sedan)
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
turning houses into homes

Trade: Wallcovering Installation

As much as I understand that many people REALLY want what they don't need, and that too many abuse the benefits of 4WD (God knows, I did as a youngster with my parents' Jeep Wagoneer), I gotta say that when I was driving my Subaru, I really understood the need and the safety of all wheel drive.

On rain slick highways, the Sube tracks very straight and true without fear of 18 wheelers blowing you off the road.

I have gotten into and out of customers' driveways that no 2WD could manage.

Once I was at a light that was on a snowy/icy incline. The Jeep in feront of me was spinning it's wheels (not in 4WD). I passed it easily and went on my merry way.

On one of the first jobs I was at after buying my front wheel drive mini-van, I parked on a SLIGHT incline with one tire on mud. I could NOT move (someone else parked behind me).

Yes, 4WD and AWD does allow one to get places 2WD vehicles can not. HOWEVER, in the wrong hands they can be dangerous. People think they can can faster in snow and ice. They may have four wheel GO, but they do NOT have four wheel STOP !!

If the guy is mature and responsible who will NOT misuse the advantages, I would advise that you seriously consider it.

If you are talking about a truck, I would probably think not, because they are heavy enough to get through snow. If he needs a small station wagon or passenger car, I would say consider a Subaru, but NOT a turbo charged WRX - that's a HOT car. An Outback would be just fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor

I have 18 vehicles on the road ranging from Pick-up Trucks to Vans to Dump Chassis to Box Trucks...none of which are 4WD & never have my guys even had a fender bender even in the worst of conditions. It is called common sense, take your time & if it is that bad, PULL OFF THE ROAD.

I issue deserving employees a company vehicle to take home, they don't have a choice in what they get. They either get what is on the lot OR everyone jumps into the next newer truck according to seniority, with the newly issued employee getting the oldest one. I have not done that in a long time though, mainly because guys get thier **** situated in there and it is just to much commotion & downtime to do that.

I have only ever taken one employee to pick his company truck, which was my PM who has worked for me since before I went in business..and he was more than deserving of it.

I am getting off topic..Bottom Line...

Be grateful your getting a company truck at all, so take what I have/offer or drive yourself.

Last edited by Mud Master; 12-16-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,632

I won't buy a vehicle without 4wd, but that's because of the steep icy roads that I regularly drive- it's possible to get up them in 2wd, but it isn't easy, and you tend to tear up the road a bit more, making it harder to climb. I don't use 4wd unless it is necessary to continue moving forward. 4wd doesn't help with anything other than forward acceleration. Quite simply 4wd or not isn't a safety issue unless you find yourself in a situation where not being able to move forward puts you in danger.
I've had people tell me that I could drive faster on the icy roads than they could because their 4wd wasn't working. Then I tell them that I never use 4wd on road.

The thing that gives you an advantage on icy roads isn't 4wd. It's the nut behind the wheel. Good tires help too.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: paint contractor since 1974
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty Truck View Post
An age-old management trick is to nod your head and promptly forget all about his request. Chances are he will forget all about it and find something else to whine about. If it does come back up, repeat step one.
I had a boss that took tha one step further. He would write down your complaint and say good sugestion. As soon as you walk out into the trash goes the note.

Jim
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I would take a front wheel drive honda accord any day of the week. Things are SWEET in the snow. I know I delivered pizza in them 5 nights a week for 3.5 years. In the snow I would take the runs that other people could not do. Even the 4WD suvs couldnt take some of the runs I took.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
I would take a front wheel drive honda accord any day of the week. Things are SWEET in the snow. I know I delivered pizza in them 5 nights a week for 3.5 years. In the snow I would take the runs that other people could not do. Even the 4WD suvs couldnt take some of the runs I took.
It won't pull an 18 foot aluminum boat and trailer out of the water up a 30 degree slope on a dirt and sand boat launch though.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

A4-wheel-drive vehicle in the right hands is an asset, and hands of most people it's going to be a definite liability. Around here, when the roads get bad most of the vehicles you see down in a ditch and upside down are four-wheel-drive vehicles.

I shake my head every time I see these clowns in their HPV's (High Profit Vehicles as a local automotive engineers call them) like the Escalades or Navigators going down the highway 50 or 60 miles an hour when all the intelligent drivers are doing 35 or 40 because a road is icy.

I don't feel a bit sorry for them when you see them upside down in a ditch. We got some guys around here that are out locking in the hubs when there is a heavy frost.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
It won't pull an 18 foot aluminum boat and trailer out of the water up a 30 degree slope on a dirt and sand boat launch though.
No it wont... Maybe that is why the guys NEEDS 4WD.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

YES...An SUV or Pick Up Truck works much better in 4 wheel drive than not. HOWEVER they are not better than a front wheel drive car properly equiped with snow or snow and ice tires.

All Wheel Drive is a great invention, especially for the gas companies since they really burn up fuel, but even ALL WHEEL DRIVE Cars and Trucks, only use one wheel at a time! It just keeps sending thr power to the wheel NOT slipping. 4 wheel drive? Look closer. more like two or three wheel drive as very few, unless in Low Lock use more than two drive wheels. Most 4 wheel drive vehicles just supply power to the two front wheels and maybve one rear wheel.

Biggest problem with All or 4 Wheel Drive....IT ONLY HELPS YOU TO START! Does NOTHING to help you STOP.

There are THREE reasons you don't want to get him a 4WD or AWD.
1) GAS! Both are VERY Poor on Gas Mileage.
2) Both are MORE expensive to insure and finally
3) BOTH are more expensive to maintain
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

tell him to use his 4wd and give him some gas money.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

all i know is after today ill never buy another 2wd truck i have 2 4wd trucks in my drive way but i decided to take a 2wd dually and 16' trailer today and got stuck every were i went i wasnt even able to back up my drive way...we got 8 inches over night were i live and the snow plows are still working on the side roads

but you need to tell that guy to go fist himself and stop whining
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Builder, Additions, large remodels...Lately also s
Rewards Points: 504

Dude just wants to take your company rig off roading and stump jumpin.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
tell him to use his 4wd and give him some gas money.
I have a deal close to this.

I provide my own truck, I receive a company gas card for fuel, the content insurance is paid by the company, and I get $25.00 a day for using my own truck.

Advertisement