$1000 For Asbestos Test In Greenwood Village? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

$1000 For Asbestos Test In Greenwood Village?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

$1000 For Asbestos Test In Greenwood Village?

Okey Dokey.

Greenwood Village has their new asbestos testing requirement (tax) on any house built prior to 1986. Went down to the building dept to apply for our permits and get the info on the test. Counter person gives me the paperwork and says it's about a $50.00 test.

Contact the testor and he is figuring about $1000.00.

So any Colorado guys have any other testers they use? Is $1000.00 the going rate?

I find this absolutely absurd. Homeowners in Greenwood village should be going down to their building dept with pitch forks and torches.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Re: $1000 For Asbestos Test In Greenwood Village?

Mike,

Was the $1,000 quoted to you by an environmental consulting company? Did they quote you on performing a survey and report of findings for the entire house?

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJNowak View Post
Mike,

Was the $1,000 quoted to you by an environmental consulting company? Did they quote you on performing a survey and report of findings for the entire house?
It's a verbal estimate based on the verbal description I gave him of the remodel of 3 bathrooms in the house.

From what I could understand they are planning on taking core sample of every material that will be demoed, except for glass or mirrors or anything metal.

So I suppose if you are removing a vanity, they are going to core the vanity wood, the counter top and the sink.

This stuff is so out of hand it isn't even funny.

The way the building dept made it sound, the testor would go in there and scratch a few things for samples in about 2 mintues and send it to a lab and you're done. The way the testing company makes it sound is they are going to crawl up the houses ass with a microscope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
parkers5150 (03-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 6,838

Is this Greenwood Village some kind of known contaminated development or something?
I have a rental property that I needed to do asbestos test on the popcorn ceiling. The testing company told me to scrape about a 1" square into a ziplock bag and bring it in. It was somethig like $35 and they gave me the results in 5days. If I wanted them sooner they had a progressive scale for charges but the max was next day for like $150.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

"Honey,the workers are here to install the new vanity".

bmcquin (03-02-2010), camaroman2125 (03-02-2010), ChrWright (03-01-2010), FowlOne (03-02-2010), kevjob (03-01-2010), Static Design (03-02-2010), Tom M (03-02-2010), Tom R (03-01-2010)
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Is this Greenwood Village some kind of known contaminated development or something?
I have a rental property that I needed to do asbestos test on the popcorn ceiling. The testing company told me to scrape about a 1" square into a ziplock bag and bring it in. It was somethig like $35 and they gave me the results in 5days. If I wanted them sooner they had a progressive scale for charges but the max was next day for like $150.
That's about how it works around here. When it comes back positive you usually have to pay the consultant again for the test to come up with a plan to do the abatement. When you the Abatement Crew shows up it just $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #7

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Mike,

In my previous life I worked as an environmental consultant as well as in the environmental department at Sears headquarters in Chicago. Average prices for asbestos services are as follows:

Inspector - $50-$70/hour
Lab Fees - $10-20/sample (standard turn around time)
Report of Findings - $200

Worst case scenario it should not take an inspector longer than 3 hours to complete a survey of 3 residential bathrooms. At most there might be 15-20 samples taken. As far as the core samples go, most consultants only use them for sampling softer materials such as pipe insulation.

From what I could understand they are planning on taking core sample of every material that will be demoed, except for glass or mirrors or anything metal. So I suppose if you are removing a vanity, they are going to core the vanity wood, the counter top and the sink

Wood, plastic laminate, porcelain, are stone not considered "suspect" materials and should not need to be sampled.

Environmental consultants have a tendency to over complicate things. Find one that will do only what is needed for your project.
Also, a lot of these companies prefer not to do residential work, and you may have gotten a number that reflects this. Call around and get pricing from other companies.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Okey Dokey.

Greenwood Village has their new asbestos testing requirement (tax) on any house built prior to 1986. Went down to the building dept to apply for our permits and get the info on the test. Counter person gives me the paperwork and says it's about a $50.00 test.

Contact the testor and he is figuring about $1000.00.

So any Colorado guys have any other testers they use? Is $1000.00 the going rate?

I find this absolutely absurd. Homeowners in Greenwood village should be going down to their building dept with pitch forks and torches.
Here's everything I've got:

https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/re...-coming-69662/

The following was posted on our website and we directed all our customers to the article.

http://davinciremodeling.net/Greenwo...sAsbestos.aspx

We (me and a customer with some clout) have spoken to a couple of city councilmen to no avail - "State Law" is what their hiding behind. It appears Greenwood Village and Vail are the only two jurisdictions following state law.

The going rate is $750 - $1000 for a single room (bath, kitchen, etc.) and $1500 - $3000 entire house (I contacted half-a-dozen inspectors).

We had a project back-out in January due to this. Can't blame them! The inspector said he would not allow an asbestos test to be conducted in his own home.

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 520

Mike I do not know if it will help but a company called Colorado Hazard Control put on my rrp class and they also work with with asbestos, they are in federal Heights.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Commercial construction

Trade: Commercial construction
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
...Homeowners in Greenwood village should be going down to their building dept with pitch forks and torches...
Here is a link to the ANSI site where you will find the standards for the grading of ash and hickory wood handles for hand tools (only $112.00), general requirements for claw hammers, machinist's hammers, and screwdrivers (written in Portugese), and many other very useful publications (some written in Chinese).

http://webstore.ansi.org/FindStandar...%7cnull%7cnull

I'm sorry that I didn't run a search on ANSI standards for torches for you, but one should probably check it out before one starts one's revolution.

One wouldn't want to see anyone get injured by a faulty pitchfork or torch you know...

Best regards,
Michael

Advertisement

Last edited by wasdifferent; 03-02-2010 at 02:21 PM.