Quickbooks Online Apps - Accounting Software & Discussion - Contractor Talk

Quickbooks Online Apps

Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 653

Quickbooks Online Apps

Can anyone recommend an app for quickbooks on line for progress invoicing and job costing?

In the uk they have phased out quickbooks desktop but the online version lacks the features I need

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Contributor

Trade: Vendor
Rewards Points: 114

Re: Quickbooks Online Apps

There are a couple of ways that you can do job costing in QBO. One of the ways is to use classes. This is very simple to set up if you have QBO Plus and have classes turned on. Or you can set up sub-customers within QBO and select to bill with parent. QBO is currently in Beta for progress invoicing but it has not been released to the general public yet.

Here is a link to a guide for job costing and progress invoicing in QBO:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UOC..._TY9IR436/view

It is a PDF file and this shows you how to do job costing as sub-customers.

I have heard good things about the Knowify app but have not used it myself.

I hope this helps.

Advertisement

814-688-0405-Cell or 615-930-5097-Office
The Following User Says Thank You to tcollins For This Useful Post:
carpenter uk (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for that, I was hoping quickbooks was on the case but ive been checking in for the last couple of years since it was announced they were phasing out desktop, I cannot understand why they did not make online the same as desktop but what do I know?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: division twelve
Rewards Points: 1,088

Try using the Project option for job costing. It is a somewhat recent QBO addition here in the USA.

Knowify really does work well for AIA job invoicing. Your needs may differ.

For what itís worth you may want to look for a local QBO consultant. They can offer most apps at a sizable discount. You would also have someone to call/visit for support if necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to r a s For This Useful Post:
carpenter uk (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Pro

I have been looking at knowify but it seems very slow with being a web app, i had a 1200 line estimate to import from excel which took a while but then the page was difficult to scroll, i suspect due to the size.

It seems like it does all the job costing and tracking and qbo just handles the accounts?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 570

Project in QuickBooks still does not job cost. It will show materials purchased for a job, but it does not attribute labor to a project. Kind of worthless still.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
carpenter uk (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 880

Last edited by AustinDB; 01-14-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDB View Post
They have not officially said that it will be but they have already discontinued Quickbooks for MAC. As a proadvisor I believe as apps continue to be created for QBO to allow for the same features and functionality of Desktop you will see Intuit gradually phase out desktop. However, it will not be for several years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Pro

I have spend a lot of time trying knowify the last couple of days and im struggling with it, its not knowifys fault but our estimates and budgets can run into 2000 items as we do large sites with 100's of houses on them
The problem is as its a web app it just cannot work fast enough and takes ages to load anything
If the future is web apps I'm going to struggle!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: division twelve
Rewards Points: 1,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk View Post
I have spend a lot of time trying knowify the last couple of days and im struggling with it, its not knowifys fault but our estimates and budgets can run into 2000 items as we do large sites with 100's of houses on them
The problem is as its a web app it just cannot work fast enough and takes ages to load anything
If the future is web apps I'm going to struggle!
I definitely believe your projects are larger than Knowify's target audience and you may have outgrown QB/QBO if your projects are that large.

Our projects are much simpler and we're typically bidding one or two CSI divisions, not all of them.

Best wishes.
The Following User Says Thank You to r a s For This Useful Post:
carpenter uk (01-15-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:06 AM   #11

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 34

It is possible to do job costing in QuickBooks online, but it hasn't been easy for us. Doing things like dealing with refunds, deposit and vendor credits is awkward. Also, the inability to partially pay a purchase order, and track commitments has been a problem. But if you do want to use QuickBooks Online as a general ledger, here's how we did it:

1. Each cost item was setup as a product/service, and the expense side of each product/service item was mapped to a WIP (Work in Progress account - this is an asset account on the QBO GL), and the sales side was mapped to a general sales account.
2. Each job was setup as a customer
3. To run a job cost report, you will setup custom reports. To setup the report you go to Reports > All Reports > Purchases by Product/Service Detail, then you can filter by Customer/Sub-Customer (i.e. Job), and voila, you have a job cost report.

QBO is a general accounting system, and probably something like Corecon, Knowify, BuilderTrend or Co-Construct could really help with supplementing the features. The thing that really will slow you down with the QBO + Supplemental third party add on approach, is that you will need to sync changes between systems. Sometimes the sync process is only one way (i.e. from QBO to 3rd Party app, or 3rd party app to QBO). In this way you run into the problem that if you process a transaction in Quickbooks, it will not necessarily be picked up by the third party app.

If you have a lot of invoices and bills to process you may also want an app to handle payables. QBO has the ability to attach PDFs to a bill or expense, but there isn't an inbox function, and no way to route an item for approval. Also, if you have multiple accounting users, you will notice that there is very limited granularity in defining a user role. It can be either full, or limited A/P, or limited Sales. So, it does have it's limitations.

QuickBooks Online is a good piece of software, and it's trying to be all things to all kinds of small businesses, all while keeping it simple enough to use for a business owner without an accounting background. When you start to get into job costing, and having multiple accounting users in the system, things started getting dicey for us, and now were in the process of implementing a construction industry specific accounting/ERP system.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Project in QuickBooks still does not job cost. It will show materials purchased for a job, but it does not attribute labor to a project. Kind of worthless still.
Job costing for labor can be accomplished using TSheets which integrates flawlessly with QBO and makes payroll so easy. Your worker can log into it right at the job site, "punch in" and select which job it is. When he is done, he can "punch out" right from the app. www.tsheets.com

Old 02-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
Job costing for labor can be accomplished using TSheets which integrates flawlessly with QBO and makes payroll so easy. Your worker can log into it right at the job site, "punch in" and select which job it is. When he is done, he can "punch out" right from the app. www.tsheets.com

I use tsheets already, but I have not found the job costing info. Does it attribute materials and payroll taxes to the project or does it just add up wages towards the project?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #14
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I use tsheets already, but I have not found the job costing info. Does it attribute materials and payroll taxes to the project or does it just add up wages towards the project?
Basically you import the information from QBO by clicking the Quickbooks arrow in Tsheets, click import. It will pull the information in. Then you have your employee find the job which is listed righr within their time card screen in Tsheet and they click clock in by that job. It will not attribute the material you will have to do that within QBO or if you use knowify within that.

The Following User Says Thank You to tcollins For This Useful Post:
DeanV (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,494

UGH...QBO has definitely got some issues, though I'm so invested in it at this point I'm unable to quit using it I think! Payroll taxes are problem 1, but nevermind that!

Job Costing is frustrating with QBO...Projects seems to have 'helped' the problem, but by no means is ready for the big leagues. I can't seem to figure out how on earth they implemented it without some features...yes, you can track employee hours & billable hours, and you can easily assign costs to the project through bills/expenses/etc. The problem is that they want to tell you the "profit" on the project, but they don't include actual employee costs, so just say I have a simple project...say...storm door install. I can purchase the door, assign a project to the expense. I can add "Employee1" had 3 hours billable to it. To create an invoice, I'd enter the "billable rate" and it would create an invoice which would include 2 line items, "Storm Door $200" & "Employee1 3 x $40hr" for a total of $320. Profit just seems to not take into account labor in any way...or if it does I'm completely in the dark!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
UGH...QBO has definitely got some issues, though I'm so invested in it at this point I'm unable to quit using it I think! Payroll taxes are problem 1, but nevermind that!

Job Costing is frustrating with QBO...Projects seems to have 'helped' the problem, but by no means is ready for the big leagues. I can't seem to figure out how on earth they implemented it without some features...yes, you can track employee hours & billable hours, and you can easily assign costs to the project through bills/expenses/etc. The problem is that they want to tell you the "profit" on the project, but they don't include actual employee costs, so just say I have a simple project...say...storm door install. I can purchase the door, assign a project to the expense. I can add "Employee1" had 3 hours billable to it. To create an invoice, I'd enter the "billable rate" and it would create an invoice which would include 2 line items, "Storm Door $200" & "Employee1 3 x $40hr" for a total of $320. Profit just seems to not take into account labor in any way...or if it does I'm completely in the dark!!!
If you pull a income by customer summary report it will list each customer and the income and expenses. Then find the customer you want more detail on and click on their net income and you will get a more detailed look. This will include your labor.

Tracy

Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
If you pull a income by customer summary report it will list each customer and the income and expenses. Then find the customer you want more detail on and click on their net income and you will get a more detailed look. This will include your labor.

Tracy

I must be doing something wrong then, because I still see nothing at all about labor in the report...even clicking on the net income (which reflects the invoice paid minus material expenses, nothing regarding labor costs)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #18
Contributor

Quote:
I must be doing something wrong then, because I still see nothing at all about labor in the report...even clicking on the net income (which reflects the invoice paid minus material expenses, nothing regarding labor costs)
I'm sorry, I can't answer that without looking at it.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
Contributor

Quote:
You are right, my bad. I was thinking along the lines of subcontractors. There is a workaround but requires setup and using purchase orders.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
Pro

Qb online needs to stop expecting customers to sign up for third party services to get the functionality they advertised and desktop users are used to having.

They keep doing the "wait longer and see" thing. Then they unleash the much anticipated and hyped Projects update which does absolutely nothing to fix any of the problems with reporting. It just gives up more fields to enter data in, but that information does absolutely nothing.

It would be EASY for them to have job costing in the exact some manner as the desktop service. I know this because the historical desktop date within QB online DOES run proper job costing reports within QB online. But, any data enter in QB online does NOT do proper job costing reports.

I think it is safe to say this could be fixed easily if they wanted to. It makes zero sense that I can job cost all of my 10 years of desktop data and none of my new data since I started QB online.

Advertisement