Why Would I Want A Blog? - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Why Would I Want A Blog?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Internet Marketing Agency

Trade: Internet Marketing Agency
Rewards Points: 250

Why Would I Want A Blog?

I have seen a bit of talk lately about blogs. Interesting things blogs are…some of us use a blog to add content to our sites while others use the blog for their site. Blogs have become more than just a place for those who like to write to post their musings. Take the Wordpress platform…it’s more a content management system (CMS) than a place to blog. (Though you can certainly use it for that)

I would like to show you how we use blogs. Most of you reading this know something about SEO, keyword research and so on. So…I’m going to use a blog of one of them members her as an example.

http://magicpoolservices.com

If you look at this site you will know that they are targeting pool cleaning services in the Orlando area. One of the main keyword phrases (I assume) is “pool cleaning Orlando”. This would mean that his main page is targeting people in Orlando who need their pool cleaned. He has probably built some backlinks targeting that phrase (costing either time or money) because he knows his efforts will bring customers.

Pretty straight forward

Here is a page from his blog. If you look at it you’ll see that he talks about finding pool leaks.

http://magicpoolservices.com/blog/20...k-in-the-pool/

How many other people out there service pools have something like that on their site? Not many I’m thinking. But I’ll bet there are some people out there have pools that leak.

If this were my site I would now build a couple dozen links back to this post. Now when someone in Orlando or the surrounding area wants to find out about a leaking pool this page pops up.

Will you get a lot of traffic from?....nope may 10 or 15 people a year. ( I know…not many ) but imagine that you did this once a week every week for 2 years.

So what else can we do….how about once the blog post is indexed submitting the same article to 15 – 20 articles sites…will you get a lot of traffic for those sites? Nope but you will get quality backlinks.

Ok…one more page before I shutup…let’s look one more post

http://magicpoolservices.com/blog/20...pool-cleaning/

I love videos…now we have a video on our site that people can watch (and if it’s a how to video even better). But better than that we now have a video that we can post on 10 or 15 video sites like youtube.

Will you get a lot of visitors from those videos? Nope…but you will get some very good backlinks (and a few visitors)

My point is this…if you think you can throw a blog up and post 5 or 10 post and people are going to start flooding your site you’re fooling yourself and wasting your time.

Put some effort into it for a year or two and you will see huge benefits. Unfortunately this requires a lot of work without a lot of visible results early on.

If it were easy....we would all be rich

My thoughts on blogging
j
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JV Marketing For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (12-08-2010), cbscreative (12-06-2010), Ed the Roofer (12-03-2010), gideond (12-04-2010), jmiller (12-08-2010), kcremodeling (12-07-2010), MagicPoolSvcs (12-09-2010), Mike's Plumbing (12-03-2010), Sir Mixalot (12-09-2010), Sportioli (12-03-2010), Vision Custom (12-09-2010), wncbuilder (12-07-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Why Would I Want A Blog?

Another great post by JV Marketing. Thanks man!

Mike

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Design + Remodeling

Trade: Interior Design and Remodeling

Great advice and info!

San Antonio Remodeling | Interior Design San Antonio | Facebook | Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Lately, I have been trying to put more time into my blog. This is a great post, thanks for the advice. Just had a couple of question.

If I write an article, would it be beneficial to publish it on my website and my blog. What about on a second related website? Other than submitting my articles to directories, what are some other ways to gain backlinks to a particular article or blog?

Here is my blog...

http://blog.kcremodeling.com

Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcremodeling View Post
Lately, I have been trying to put more time into my blog. This is a great post, thanks for the advice. Just had a couple of question.

If I write an article, would it be beneficial to publish it on my website and my blog. What about on a second related website? Other than submitting my articles to directories, what are some other ways to gain backlinks to a particular article or blog?

Here is my blog...

Thanks
Why not just incorporate your blog into the website?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Design + Remodeling

Trade: Interior Design and Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Plumbing View Post
Exactly! Blog on your website would be the best solution.

San Antonio Remodeling | Interior Design San Antonio | Facebook | Twitter
Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

My blog has a completely different background than my site. Plus, the backlinks that I am creating would be coming from inside my site. Would this method be just as effective? I wouldn't think
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
My blog has a completely different background than my site. Plus, the backlinks that I am creating would be coming from inside my site. Would this method be just as effective? I wouldn't think
The goal is to bring people to the site where you make your money. You're a contractor, not a blogger (not for pay anyway).
Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
I'd be careful with that one. I'm not saying one way or the other for kc without knowing more info, but generally speaking it's not a good idea.

When someone lands on your business site, it should be for business. What often happens when you attach a blog to your site is people either bookmark just the blog or they "bounce" from the site to the blog. You easily sacrifice site traffic to your blog instead of keeping them on your site longer.

From everything I've seen, traffic from a blog to your site will be minimal, but the blog does help with credibility and provide a few visits here and there. It will also help boost ranking for your site.

As a general rule, it's better to host your blog on its own domain and link to your site. Since one way links are stronger than reciprocal ones, my usual advice is to not link the site to the blog. Which way would you prefer your traffic to flow?
kcremodeling (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
I'd be careful with that one. I'm not saying one way or the other for kc without knowing more info, but generally speaking it's not a good idea.

When someone lands on your business site, it should be for business. What often happens when you attach a blog to your site is people either bookmark just the blog or they "bounce" from the site to the blog. You easily sacrifice site traffic to your blog instead of keeping them on your site longer.

From everything I've seen, traffic from a blog to your site will be minimal, but the blog does help with credibility and provide a few visits here and there. It will also help boost ranking for your site.

As a general rule, it's better to host your blog on its own domain and link to your site. Since one way links are stronger than reciprocal ones, my usual advice is to not link the site to the blog. Which way would you prefer your traffic to flow?
Thanks Steve!

What would the customer rather have? When I go to a site myself I like it to be all in one so I don't have to click back and fourth. I'm not saying one way is better than the next just wondering.

The trend I see are blogs incorporated with the website.

Mike
Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Thanks Steve!

What would the customer rather have? When I go to a site myself I like it to be all in one so I don't have to click back and fourth. I'm not saying one way is better than the next just wondering.

The trend I see are blogs incorporated with the website.

Mike
I bet it seems like a trend because you can see the blog on the site but it's not so apparent when the blog and the company site have different URLs.

I think CBSCreative is spot on.

You can build authority on a blog really fast and send the link juice to your main site. I'll bet a marginal blog would be the strongest link in most contractors link graphs.
cbscreative (12-08-2010), jmiller (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Non-conformist

Mike, as long as the web site answers your questions and serves all your needs for being there, do you really care if the blog is on the same domain? Personally, I don't care if they even have a blog or not. But the site better be helpful or I will find one that is.

In addition, as Vince mostly pointed out, you can develop authority with a blog. I can't point you to any data on this, but everything I've observed demonstrates that the authority is stronger and more easily gained when it's a dedicated domain rather than an add-on to a commercial site.
jmiller (12-08-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Personally, I don't care if they even have a blog or not. But the site better be helpful or I will find one that is.
I agree that being a helpful site will gain a lot of credibility with the visitor, but what are some ways a contractor's site can be helpful without a blog?

Since we're already picking on MPS, I found their blog to be awkwardly implemented. The link to the blog is nearly hidden, and the only way to get back to the site from the blog are text links. They're not gaining any "link juice" by having a separate domain, yet from an accessibility standpoint they may as well be.

If they are going to keep the entities linked I would at least make the logo atop the blog a clickable route back to the site, so customers can see some before/afters or testimonials and make the final decision to call the more helpful company.

It would be interesting to see some ranking data along with user interaction habits on two identical sites other than the placement of the blog, but since it probably doesn't exist I do appreciate your real world observations.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller View Post
I agree that being a helpful site will gain a lot of credibility with the visitor, but what are some ways a contractor's site can be helpful without a blog?
Wow, that question is a lot to take on, but I'll see what I can do to outline some decent answers. Since the answers will actually be different for everyone, I'll deal mostly with principles.

Probably the most important principle is to think like your customer. What will they be looking for? What questions and concerns do they have? How can you make things easier for them? What problem can your solve? This probably will require asking questions of HO's, doing surveys, and/or seeking out market research. Sometimes looking at search terms can provide clues, or finding relevant online communities and paying attention to discussions.

With some effort, you can get into their minds. Just making the attempt often separates you significantly from your competitors. I've looked at a LOT of contractor sites and most all sound about the same. They are full of we this and we that, and so focused on the service that they miss the mark on being customer focused.

This is all kind of abstract, so I need to illustrate with some kind of example. I'll pick roofing just because it's your trade. I as a HO am not likely to go up on my roof (speaking for myself, I definitely am not going up there). If I land on your site and consider calling you, I need to trust you above the other roofers.

What if you took a camcorder or digital camera on my roof? How many roofers do that? You could show me exactly what my problems are and explain how you will solve the problem. I need to know why the cheap shingles from HD will end up costing me more and how worthless the warranty is when it won't cover the water damage. If you had a customer testimonial about how they thought they needed a new roof, yet you recommended a low pressure wash that saved them thousands, that would make me more likely to call you.

Take away my fears, set me at ease, identify with my problems, make the site about me, and the pain from your bruised ego will be lightened with cash. You don't necessarily need a blog for that. In fact, your site needs to serve that role.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

Thanks for the positive write up.

Rome was not built overnight, neither is my plan to conquer the pool market in Central Florida
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPoolSvcs View Post
Thanks for the positive write up.

Rome was not built overnight, neither is my plan to conquer the pool market in Central Florida
Sweet, world domination of the pool industry....I like the way you think.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Mike, as long as the web site answers your questions and serves all your needs for being there, do you really care if the blog is on the same domain? Personally, I don't care if they even have a blog or not. But the site better be helpful or I will find one that is.

In addition, as Vince mostly pointed out, you can develop authority with a blog. I can't point you to any data on this, but everything I've observed demonstrates that the authority is stronger and more easily gained when it's a dedicated domain rather than an add-on to a commercial site.
I understand what your saying...thanks.

I'm just trying to wrap my hands around this still. For example, I want more than to just have a customer find me. I see websites as a tool much beyond that, I want it to be a resource for them.....something that I can send links to from an email. What I'm working on SHOULD (I hope so) eliminate some phone calls and make me more efficient.

I don't think their is a right or wrong way actually, it depends on the type of company and all sorts of things.

When it's all said and done SEO is at the bottom of the list for me but it's still important. An all in one blog/site just makes sense from a customer perspective but I can see why others don't think so.

Interesting topic

Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Probably the most important principle is to think like your customer.
Before I knew how to roof a roofer told me just think like a drop of water. I think you may be onto something.

Quote:
What will they be looking for? What questions and concerns do they have? How can you make things easier for them? What problem can your solve?
Thanks. I guess I was thinking of being helpful as a DIY tip etc., whereas you reminded me that just answering the questions they will have re: the company and our process is in itself helpful, reassuring, and time saving.

Quote:
They are full of we this and we that, and so focused on the service that they miss the mark on being customer focused.
Great point. Most here are proud of the work they do and their legitimacy, but don't present themselves as total product. We plan to use a customer relationship manager extension from our site where customers can log their own trouble tickets and view logs of emails, photos, and documents. Not only will it make us more efficient, but provide a tangible thing that promotes us like a high end product to be chosen off the shelf and bragged about to friends.

Quote:
What if you took a camcorder or digital camera on my roof? How many roofers do that? You could show me exactly what my problems are and explain how you will solve the problem.
I do that often and show the pics in person, and definitely agree it would be nice to have examples on the site that I update periodically. For me, that's a blog- but I can see it being a detraction for contractors who don't have a specific plan for the blog, aren't good at editing text and pics, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: windows and siding
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:

Here is my blog...

Thanks
Your blog looks great.I would add a request a quote call to action . My blog is part of main site, it works well, your blog is what I would call a feeder blog to your main site, this can work well for you if you can get them to request a quote.Your blog can pass Page Rank if it has any and incoming links are good.

Last edited by tin man; 01-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling, Construction, Home Improvement

Great info!

Advertisement

13659, Victory Blvd #261, Van Nuys, CA-91401 | Twitter | Facebook
Contact# 800-372-4080