Website Expectations - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Website Expectations

Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Trade: Landscape
Rewards Points: 36

Website Expectations

I have a website that isn't living up to my expectations.

I would like to at least get one lead a week from my site, I see that some contractors are getting lets say quite a few more than one a week.

According to google analytics, I have had in the past month 51 visits from users in my area.

Is 51 for the month all I should expect? I am in a very competitive market.

How do I get website visits up to say 300.

Website is http://www.jenningslandscaping.com/

Any help is appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

Trade: Marketing Bod
Rewards Points: 44

Re: Website Expectations

The design of the site does look pre 2010.

The home page headline, that most people will land on doesn't grab my attention. What do you stand for / What makes you unique?

Logo and phone number are too big - I'm a designer by education and have had a fair few arguments in the past with clients that want the logo bigger (purely for vanity purposes). This along with the slider is pushing the headline and introduction down the page towards the fold where it is getting lost.

I love putting sliders in my client's websites, BUT I have to stop myself because they tend to be distracting and move the user's attention away from the content that is meant to attract them (The headline).

The form on the left is kind of ugly, and "Request a service" may be too general. What's your irresistible offer to draw customers in to your business?

Could you offer a free report helping prospects tips on maintaining their property, The top 10 things that go wrong with XX and how to spot them, How to choose the perfect landscaper for you home, How to add 20k To your property value with XX.

Bit of a brain dump,

What marketing strategies are you using to drive people to the site... or are you just waiting for people to show up through Google?

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

As a side note, are you retargeting these 51 visitors?

1. They may not be ready to buy now.
2. Conversion rates on 51 people is going to be unsurprisingly low.

Most people are lucky to convert 2% of 100 visitors, without a list build strategies in place.

Google and Facebook both allow you to market (cheaply) to people that have visited your site.

I place a piece of code on client sites that get's dropped on the prospects browser, next time they're on Facebook, my client's ad is only displayed to them as a reminder of the benefits of choosing them.

People are extremely forgetful and need reminding sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,850

Nice POV from a marketing guy. Most we do it talk rankings, but re targeting is essential in many markets.

OP, if you set the demographics correctly you can do some budget marketing on Facebook for $10 a day. Use your site, or a page written for facebook at the landing page, not your facebook page.

Write blog posts from your voice, at least 1 time a week. Aaron sent out an email explaining how to use links in those blog posts when you signed up. Short version, 1 link to home page, 1 link to your service page. I would seperate your posts into catagories and link to a blog post or 2 within each catagory using in content linking.

Create an about.me profile, link to your site, create a wordpress.com site, learn how to create content and link out.

Make sure your citations are done right, all your top tier ones are done flawlessly. There are some tools to see if you are missing some of the important ones.

Do you have reviews on your places page? Those are important.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Nice POV from a marketing guy. Most we do it talk rankings, but re targeting is essential in many markets.

OP, if you set the demographics correctly you can do some budget marketing on Facebook for $10 a day. Use your site, or a page written for facebook at the landing page, not your facebook page.

Write blog posts from your voice, at least 1 time a week. Aaron sent out an email explaining how to use links in those blog posts when you signed up. Short version, 1 link to home page, 1 link to your service page. I would seperate your posts into catagories and link to a blog post or 2 within each catagory using in content linking.

Create an about.me profile, link to your site, create a wordpress.com site, learn how to create content and link out.

Make sure your citations are done right, all your top tier ones are done flawlessly. There are some tools to see if you are missing some of the important ones.

Do you have reviews on your places page? Those are important.
Most of what you have said here is Klingon to me. Can you dumb that down a little for me?

Looks as if I can no longer ignore social media, problem is I have no idea how to effectively set this up.

I have google+ that footbridge set up for me, but no Facebook or twitter. Any good guides to setting these up right for contractors?

I do ask for reviews, customers say they are giving the reviews and for some reason I never see them.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Pro

You need to make it a priority to learn it, or hire it out.

Setting up a Facebook page for biz is pretty simple.

Visit myonlinetoolbox , it may be of help for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (06-06-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 AM   #7

What particular aspect of what has been said is confusing?

Last edited by Sir Mixalot; 06-08-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Against Service Provider rules
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Just curious, who did this site for you? What are your monthly fees? And when was the last time you discussed this with them?

Your site just looks familiar.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Just curious, who did this site for you? What are your monthly fees? And when was the last time you discussed this with them?

It looks like a footbridge site. another thing im wondering is how long has it been up for?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:

Footbridge.

One fifty a month

Haven't spoken with them about this in awhile, looking for solutions that I can put in place before I contact them.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpainting View Post
It looks like a footbridge site. another thing im wondering is how long has it been up for?
I had footbridge redo site a little over a year ago, They had also built the original.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

$150 a month?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creter View Post
$150 a month?
Yep.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #14

That's cheap as chips, what would be the ideal situation with your website and how much do you think the "should" cost?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #15

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo View Post
I have a website that isn't living up to my expectations.

I would like to at least get one lead a week from my site, I see that some contractors are getting lets say quite a few more than one a week.

According to google analytics, I have had in the past month 51 visits from users in my area.

Is 51 for the month all I should expect? I am in a very competitive market.

How do I get website visits up to say 300.

Website is http://www.jenningslandscaping.com/

Any help is appreciated.
Did you pay a fee on top of the $150 a month? That's expensive and the site should be a heck of a lot better for that price.

A site is great to have, but without a proper plan it won't help you much and it isn’t the best way to get leads. Websites aren’t “set and forget”. Figure out who your ideal customer is, what service(s) they are looking for, and spoon feed it to them. What is your number one service? Focus on that and then upsell the rest. Don't spread yourself too thin by shoveling a dozen services down their throats.

You need to be thinking of a "conversion funnel” that naturally leads them along until they finally convert from a visitor to a customer. I can’t stress spoon feeding them enough. Visitors are lazy, they won’t make the effort to find what they want. They will read the headline and glance at bolded points and if it doesn’t give them what they want then they will go to someone else site.

If you were looking for a landscaper and were reading a bunch of sites, what would make you choose you over a competitor? Shotgunning all of your services on the homepage isn’t the best. Pick a service/element that the majority of your customers want/need and then tell them why they need you over your competitor by use of a strong headline.

Essentially there are two problems every website needs to address. The first is offering something so powerful that prospects can't afford to not use your services and the second problem is getting that message in front of peoples eyes.

You could be giving away free money but if nobody knows about it then nobody will take you up on it. At the same time, if you have a ****ty offer but tons of traffic, nobody will use you.

The offer part is up to you to decide because it's your business, but there are many ways (free, cheap, expensive) to get the word out. You probably have jobs in many different neighborhoods and people see you and your team all day long. Yes your website is important but if leads are what you're after then you have a huge opportunity to leverage the surrounding homes to bring in business. I know that’s not what you are asking so I’ll get back on topic.

The first thing you should do is overhaul your website to focus in on your irresistible offer. You need a strong headline that is clear and concise. Try using a formula like this to craft a headline;

“irresistible offer + timeframe + guarantee"

You will notice this formula in use all over the place (large pizza in 30 minutes or less or your money back). It's up to you to determine what to say but maybe say something like "curb appeal in one day or less or it's free” use your imagination and come up with something powerful that will force people to keep reading. Testimonials also go a LONG way so have some near the call to action (video testimonials are even better).

To be honest, landscapers have a LOT of ways to market their business very cheaply and for free. Websites are just one way but with them come their own problems that need solutions. You just have to think outside the box.

I know this is one long ass post and I've rambled but I could go on and on and on so I’ll just leave it here.

TLDR:

Traffic -> irresistible offer -> customers
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpats For This Useful Post:
Rio (06-09-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #16
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo View Post
Footbridge.

One fifty a month

Haven't spoken with them about this in awhile, looking for solutions that I can put in place before I contact them.
Then what are you paying them $150 a month for?
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Pro

Your reviews wont be on your G+ busiess page, they will be on your google plus maps page which also looks exactly like your G+ biz page.

Thats what it does on mine anyhow. Doesnt make sense to me either.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
That's cheap as chips, what would be the ideal situation with your website and how much do you think the "should" cost?
Ideal, would be more leads than I can get to. Cost at that point would be irrelevant.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpats View Post
Did you pay a fee on top of the $150 a month? That's expensive and the site should be a heck of a lot better for that price.

A site is great to have, but without a proper plan it won't help you much and it isn’t the best way to get leads. Websites aren’t “set and forget”. Figure out who your ideal customer is, what service(s) they are looking for, and spoon feed it to them. What is your number one service? Focus on that and then upsell the rest. Don't spread yourself too thin by shoveling a dozen services down their throats.

You need to be thinking of a "conversion funnel” that naturally leads them along until they finally convert from a visitor to a customer. I can’t stress spoon feeding them enough. Visitors are lazy, they won’t make the effort to find what they want. They will read the headline and glance at bolded points and if it doesn’t give them what they want then they will go to someone else site.

If you were looking for a landscaper and were reading a bunch of sites, what would make you choose you over a competitor? Shotgunning all of your services on the homepage isn’t the best. Pick a service/element that the majority of your customers want/need and then tell them why they need you over your competitor by use of a strong headline.

Essentially there are two problems every website needs to address. The first is offering something so powerful that prospects can't afford to not use your services and the second problem is getting that message in front of peoples eyes.

You could be giving away free money but if nobody knows about it then nobody will take you up on it. At the same time, if you have a ****ty offer but tons of traffic, nobody will use you.

The offer part is up to you to decide because it's your business, but there are many ways (free, cheap, expensive) to get the word out. You probably have jobs in many different neighborhoods and people see you and your team all day long. Yes your website is important but if leads are what you're after then you have a huge opportunity to leverage the surrounding homes to bring in business. I know that’s not what you are asking so I’ll get back on topic.

The first thing you should do is overhaul your website to focus in on your irresistible offer. You need a strong headline that is clear and concise. Try using a formula like this to craft a headline;

“irresistible offer + timeframe + guarantee"

You will notice this formula in use all over the place (large pizza in 30 minutes or less or your money back). It's up to you to determine what to say but maybe say something like "curb appeal in one day or less or it's free” use your imagination and come up with something powerful that will force people to keep reading. Testimonials also go a LONG way so have some near the call to action (video testimonials are even better).

To be honest, landscapers have a LOT of ways to market their business very cheaply and for free. Websites are just one way but with them come their own problems that need solutions. You just have to think outside the box.

I know this is one long ass post and I've rambled but I could go on and on and on so I’ll just leave it here.

TLDR:

Traffic -> irresistible offer -> customers

Thanks you for long ass post, I'll be looking into your ideas.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Then what are you paying them $150 a month for?
I don't really know, may be time for a change.

Advertisement