Website Designer - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Website Designer

Old 12-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,594

Website Designer

We are finally going to get serious with the website.

Who should we use to design it? Was there a company a bunch on here used?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

Re: Website Designer

my 1st website was $1200, piece of shi*
guy built it olg school way, was outdated before IT was loaded.

2nd was $ 2500, works good, averages about 25-45 visits per day.
With about 5-10% of my sales.

POINTS to remember, (MY OPINION)
1) own your domain name
2) pay for your hosting separate from designer
3) I like the person to be local to ME
4) tie to Facebook
5) maintain it and update often.

Advertisement

Facebook
Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,490

You need to pick one with a proven track record in local lead gen. Lots of Web people makes sites for mommy bloggers or ecommerce. The sites could look great but poor on page for a local business and it will never rank.

I don't really agree with having separate hosting from your Web guy. The hosting can be tricky, best to let the professional handle that end.

If you want to be able to update your site on your own you will probably want a wordpress built site.

I would contact carlesore (sites4contractors.com) or cbscreative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
my 1st website was $1200, piece of shi*
guy built it olg school way, was outdated before IT was loaded.

2nd was $ 2500, works good, averages about 25-45 visits per day.
With about 5-10% of my sales.

POINTS to remember, (MY OPINION)
1) own your domain name
2) pay for your hosting separate from designer
3) I like the person to be local to ME
4) tie to Facebook
5) maintain it and update often.
I agree with jaydee on this one. Especially, the part about using someone local. My current web designer is in California, I like her, but she's to busy to do the job I need done.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Thanks for the plug JBM! Carl's the guy for a less expensive (but good value) site due to the model he uses, my prices are higher because most of my clients have experience similar to jaydee and they realize the value of doing a custom site after burning money on a cheaper option.

I'm going to offer a different view on a couple of other points made so far. First, I do believe the design and hosting should be separate. Getting locked into a designer who controls your hosting is not recommended. I help clients get hosting, even set it up for them because I can do in 5 minutes what an average client may take hours to figure out, but the hosting account should be in your name so you always control it and can switch to another designer if you ever need or want to.

It's the same with domain name. I help with choosing and registering a domain name but I would never advocate having your designer control that.

The issue of "local" is a matter of preference and I understand the reasons for, but insisting on a local designer may not be in your best interest. First of all, it is important that the designer understand the remodeling industry. You may or may not find that qualification locally. It could even be that all the local designers suck depending on your available choices. Finding web designers who truly understand user behavior, marketing, and SEO instead of just pretty design may not exist in your local market.

I have worked successfully with clients all over the country, even beyond. Distance poses no significant issues, I would go so far as to say it doesn't have to pose any at all. I'm coming up this spring on 13 years with my current company and distance has never been a problem.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Ralph Rivera

Trade: Insurance
Rewards Points: 40

Echo on owning the domain name and the hosting.

Make sure there are deliverables on your contract. One of our old website guys took forever to finish our first site. It came out ok (not our current site), but it took 6 months for him to finish it. A website shouldn't take that long to build.

Ask for some previous clients, and contact them to see what kind of experience they had.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

I vote going with a local marketing agency, someone you can actually go in and talk to, especially if you are unsure about what you need. A bunch of people use footbridge media, but all the sites look the same after a while and while the do rank well, it's because they overload on keywords and just make it look a bit spammy in general.

Look through their portfolio to see if they have sites in the same industry as yours, or find people in your industry with sites you like, and contact their web guys! Usually there will be a link in the footer of their sites.

I would be wary of buying your own hosting because most devs like to work with certain hosts and hosting styles. That being said, I've seen a professional company host 90+ sites on one 1&1 hosting account....

Rrivera, your current site looks NICE. I adore the the video, and the fact that is actually a video, not just a gif! I'm waiting to get my new camera in so I can do something similar. I just wish you had a nice hoverstate on the "Get A Quote Now!" button.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
We are finally going to get serious with the website.

Who should we use to design it? Was there a company a bunch on here used?
Umm yeah... After seeing a few crap responses on here, If you need an actual wom testimonial, just give me a call. I will fully and in detail, explain how well Carl's website design and model works... down to the hosting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Umm yeah... After seeing a few crap responses on here, If you need an actual wom testimonial, just give me a call. I will fully and in detail, explain how well Carl's website design and model works... down to the hosting.
I feel confident in saying if I would've went with him out the gate instead of piddling around with other web guys, my bank account would have an extra comma or two in it.

I keep saying I'm going to write him a review but that site has kept me so busy I haven't had time.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 260

Went with Carl real down to earth dude. I was thinking all i needed was a 5-10 page site had I went with another company they would've probably sold me on that.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Umm yeah... After seeing a few crap responses on here
As far as I know, Dawg isn't referring to mine as a crap response, but I certainly hope no one would take my wording to mean anything against Carl. We use very different approaches because different contractors have different needs. Just like his model isn't right for everyone, neither is mine. My post is meant to clarify that we are different and so is our price structure because of it.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
As far as I know, Dawg isn't referring to mine as a crap response, but I certainly hope no one would take my wording to mean anything against Carl. We use very different approaches because different contractors have different needs. Just like his model isn't right for everyone, neither is mine. My post is meant to clarify that we are different and so is our price structure because of it.
Nothing against you chief. I should have worded that differently because the intention was not to down talk anyone, however, I 100% disagree with anyone that packages a 3rd party hosting.
My site is bought and paid for... I own it.

Since I'm not 100% web geek and don't have time to deal with breakdowns, hackers etc... I would obviously want as many tasks to be done with one party. I also think it's time consuming and costly to have to pay someone to deal with the issue or to fix my site if material gets lost.

Overall, I pay one person for service (except to renew my domain name) If I want to move the site to a different hosting, I have that freedom but don't see the point. Two months ago, my site was shut down because of a hack through a plugin... made 1 call and it was fixed in less than 2 hours. My favorite part was that when I made the call, Carl already knew about it and was currently working on it so it's not like I took anyone by surprise and had to make him drop everything to fix it.

On the flipside Steve, I like what you did with Matt Breyer's website. I chat with him here and there and seems to be getting some good business from it.

Advertisement