Website Advice For People Like Me - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Website Advice For People Like Me

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Website Advice For People Like Me

So there's a lot of good info lately about how to build a website and get it ranked. But what about people like me? Let me explain.

I can barely write. I've gotten better as I age but I have a difficult time getting thoughts out in written form. making a website is easy, I'm goodish with technology, but making content is damn near impossible for me.

But....

My market has low amounts of searches. Paying 5k for a website will take years to see a decent ROI (not that i could afford it ). Reaching number 1 would be simple as half of the local contractors don't even have websites, and those that do have no seo at all.

So what can I do to solve this problem?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,850

Re: Website Advice For People Like Me

Write out your information in bullet form to touch on areas you feel are must have's to include in your content and copy. Then hire someone to build you a site, and their writers will work in your thoughts.

Or do it yourself, use a theme from themeforest, find a content guy to re-write your content and upload it yourself.

Get the content written, get the theme picked and ask for help here on how to structure the pages, the menu's, ect.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Already have a website. Danehurst.ca

Just suck at creating Content
Bullet form is a good idea.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Pro

Site is nice, yeah you need some content and onpage seo done.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Already have a website. Danehurst.ca

Just suck at creating Content
Bullet form is a good idea.
have someone who is good at creating content do it for you. Writing in a way that compels potential customers to call you is difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to vividpainting For This Useful Post:
EthanB (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Homebuilders Draftsman

Trade: Architectural Draftsman
Rewards Points: 150

Sam, there's a friend of mine, Mike Valles, who writes articles for me from time to time. His work has gotten me traffic. He's also very good at coming up with website body content. He didn't charge me very much at all. You can PM me if you want his email addy. Just a thought...
Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

elance.com

Hire a writer. It's cheap and you review before you pay.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Creter (07-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 384

You can find a good copywriter for a reasonable price. The best would be someone that would know a little bit about your industry and insert appropriate crosslinking when putting the content together to save you a step.

I had a lady that did some work for me, on other sites, that charged around $50 a page and did a VERY nice job. She could fit in a fair bit of research for that price as we were frequently covering a wide variety of topics for different customers.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 8

I agree have pay someone who knows that field to make one for you.

I just started my own electrical contracting company and had a friend that's a Web designer to make my website. She charges $125 per page. Domain costs $149 per year. Easy and done in less than 2 weeks with her working on it here and there for me..

Well worth the money spent. Considering the time involved and the fact designers already know and pay for the ad words and other seo features leaving you to do what you do best to make $.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Glock23gp For This Useful Post:
BarryP (07-11-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
elance.com

Hire a writer. It's cheap and you review before you pay.
Plus it can be entertaining if you like the idea of throwing a piece of meat into a cage full of desperate, hungry dogs and watching them fight over it.

If you should happen to try this method, be sure to run the copy you get through a plagiarism search. These bid for work sites are plagued with bottom feeders whose motivation to benefit your company is non-existent. Stealing content is easier than creating it so the bid for work providers often steal and you end up getting contacted by the original author and forced to take it down. No bargains there.

I realize your business model doesn't allow investing a lot of money into your web site copy, but TNT's advice could bite. No offense TNT, but if I told a HO to put their project on a bid for work site, I'm sure you would recognize how flawed that advice is.

Last edited by cbscreative; 07-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
BarryP (07-14-2015), SamM (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Say he whom touted the benefits of using Amazon Local earlier today...
The Following User Says Thank You to Creter For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Plus it can be entertaining if you like the idea of throwing a piece of meat into a cage full of desperate, hungry dogs and watching them fight over it.

If you should happen to try this method, be sure to run the copy you get through a plagiarism search. These bid for work sites are plagued with bottom feeders whose motivation to benefit your company is non-existent. Stealing content is easier than creating it so the bid for work providers often steal and you end up getting contacted by the original author and forced to take it down. No bargains there.

I realize your business model doesn't allow investing a lot of money into your web site copy, but TNT's advice could bite. No offense TNT, but if I told a HO to put their project on a bid for work site, I'm sure you would recognize how flawed that advice is.
Using anyone to write your copy could bite. Heck in recent years well published and known writers have been busted for plagiarism.

I used then to create my logo. I had the companies working on my project. I approved everything before they received a dime. My payment was placed in escrow until I approved is release.

Are their bottom feeders sure, but you get what you pay for. Just like in my business the lowest bidder usually isn't the guy you want working on your house.

I'm not sure how they would plagiarize copy when you are sending them the information to write from. I also don't see it as that difficult to check for plagiarism.
It's good advice no matter the source.

The price ranges
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Non-conformist

Fortunately, plagiarism is very easy to check for now. It is especially common though with creative services. Not only are many of these providers often operating offshore where our copyright laws aren't enforced or applied, they work for meager prices that aren't conducive to putting in much effort. Sometimes it's even just a cultural difference. What we consider unethical and stealing, they consider fair game.

Since I do a lot of design and writing, I know first hand how often it gets stolen. I get a lot of compliments on my skill. Sometimes those compliments come in the form of people helping themselves to it without permission. Since a paying client is hiring me to create unique content, that's not at all flattering.

There's one other factor certainly worth mentioning. Just like this forum provides a venue for contractors to interact and learn from each other, there are some great communities for people like me to interact with industry peers. The subject of bid for work sites comes up more than a little bit; typically a newer creative wondering if these places are an acceptable way to find work.

The unanimous consensus is no way. The bottom line is, just like the respectable contractors won't be found in certain places, we won't either. That leaves the people using the service navigating a snake pit. Best case scenario you find a new creative just trying to get their name out so your experience will be favorable.

Think of it this way, there's only one true winner...the people running the bid site. They take their cut no matter whether you and the service provider get a fair shake or not. For reasons too complex to keep this post from getting painfully long, those sites are generally a raw deal for both the service provider and the client. More often than not, they exploit both sides for their own gain. The one thing that keeps them going is there is a never ending supply of people willing to try it.

I'll acknowledge that there are plenty of success stories. But considering the volume being created, those are woefully rare.
BarryP (07-14-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Elance.com does use freelancers from all over the world but it's just that freelancers. I'm not sure you understand how elance.com works.

You post your job description. You get several matches to your work. Or you can search through their freelancers and select as few or many as you wish. They have ratings and reviews and it gives ask of their information.

I had a great experience with my logo. $54 for a custom logo. As many revisions as I wanted. I had also hired another freelancer for my logo and he refused payment after I didn't like his work.

So not at all the experience you describe.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Hair Splitter

You don't pay until you are satisfied.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
Hair Splitter

Great result for $54.
Attached Thumbnails
Website advice for people like me-1436825416793.jpg  
Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
Pro

You could have spend 5,

https://www.fiverr.com/ei8htz/design-2-outstanding-logo
Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #18
Pro

I tossed around the idea of something vintage once and this is what s/he made

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
SamM (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Not even close. I had at least 40 revisions and a zip file full of different formats and sizes as well as color combos. Not getting that for a fiver.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I'm not sure you understand how elance.com works.
I understand very much how it works. They were around even before I started my current company back in early 2002 (along with several others similar to them). Like any other new business looking to get a name I investigated these options, even did projects through another site.

From a service provider perspective, just the time spent reviewing projects looking for a match, knowing your chances of getting it are about as close to zero as you can get, it's an effective way to burn through a lot of time you'll never get back. There are far more productive ways to get business.

These sites effectively capture customers whose only interest is the lowest price. On the plus side, they do my business model a favor because I don't have to waste my time with tire kickers and people who don't recognize the value I provide.

Obviously you had a satisfactory experience, TNT, and I did very much acknowledged that many people do. You and the $54 logo provider had an agreement that was fulfilled so you both should be happy. If they're happy with pennies per hour I have no cause to complain, I just refuse to participate and don't need to.

What typically gets missed when business owners have a logo developed is the price is incredibly relative. No matter how much you pay, it's at or near the top in being the best value of all your investments. A logo should serve for the life of your business or many years at a minimum. Take the price (even one you consider expensive) and divide it by your years in business and you'll find it extremely difficult to match the value. You'll find your other business expenses much higher.

To approach the development of your logo without careful thought and planning is not recommended. The elance model would never draw your attention to this flaw, they bank on you simply shopping price. You can certainly get "lucky" enough to get a good deal with their model, but you'll never get the service level of a qualified professional.

Although we're now talking about logos, these principles very much apply to web site copy and other writing for a business.

Advertisement

BarryP (07-14-2015)