Web Help - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Web Help

Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Trade: Glazing
Rewards Points: 10

Web Help

Hey guys,
I recently hired a company to build a website for my shower door company. I don't know much about web stuff and was wondering if you could look at it and give me an honest opinion from a contractors perspective. Would you use a sub-contractor with a website like this?
The web address is www.go-frameless.com
Thanks Steve

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Web Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemce View Post
Hey guys,
I recently hired a company to build a website for my shower door company. I don't know much about web stuff and was wondering if you could look at it and give me an honest opinion from a contractors perspective. Would you use a sub-contractor with a website like this?
The web address is www.go-frameless.com
Thanks Steve
I'm on my iPad and I've got to say I absolutely love the Design but it really doesn't have any content.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Trade: Cloud based platform for buyers and suppliers.
Rewards Points: 75

I think it looks great, the developer is building a "2012" website. The design and images are not the issues I have. It's the hyphen in the url. You're spending quite a bit of money on this beautiful site and often times the hyphen in a domain name causes a problem for users. Just my thoughts. I would maybe look for a url that sends a clear message w/o using a hyphen. ex, "goframelessnow".com a little longer but easy to remember, and no hyphen in name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecBid View Post
I think it looks great, the developer is building a "2012" website. The design and images are not the issues I have. It's the hyphen in the url. You're spending quite a bit of money on this beautiful site and often times the hyphen in a domain name causes a problem for users. Just my thoughts. I would maybe look for a url that sends a clear message w/o using a hyphen. ex, "goframelessnow".com a little longer but easy to remember, and no hyphen in name.
I beg to differ on the hyphen comment, I have a hyphen in my URL and my site has no problems at all. People that are already typing your address already have your contact info. It's the folks who dont have your info...I.e. search engines that you need to worry about and I'm proof that hyphens are of no challenge to search engines.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Trade: Cloud based platform for buyers and suppliers.
Rewards Points: 75

You're exactly right. Hyphens do not affect search. It's just that some web users for whatever reason seem to leave out when typing in URL. If its not an issue then go with it !
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

Wow... Thanks for the reply's. I have always felt the same way in regards to the hyphen. I have contacted the owner of the hyphen less goframeless. Hopefully he will sell it. As far as the content issues. Did you use the drop downs on each of the menu buttons ... I personally hate websites that have information overlode when you go there. So I asked for a clear simple message when you go there.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Trade: Window Cleaning and Pressure Cleaning
Rewards Points: 25

OK, so I see on the how it works page that you are missing step 3. Maybe I am missing something but I think you need to do a major proofread to make sure there are no other errors like this.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanCapWC View Post
OK, so I see on the how it works page that you are missing step 3. Maybe I am missing something but I think you need to do a major proofread to make sure there are no other errors like this.
Good one Mark.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

who needs a step 3 anyway......
Old 03-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 192

That is a sharp looking site!

It has been mentioned already that it may lack content for the search engine spiders to understand what your site is about, but it more the makes up for that in user-ability (word?), and looks. Add some content below and I think you have a helluva money maker there.

As to the hyphen. Just buy a domain name from Go Daddy that has no hyphen... redirect it your site... Use the hyphen-less domain name in your marketing. Having different domain names redirecting to your site makes it super easy to understand what marketing is working and what is not.
Stevemce (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #11

I already own the domains
goframeless.net
goframeless.org
goframeless.biz
they all redirect to go-frameless.com

do you think I should use .net on marketing instead of .com? I always thought .com was best even with a hyphen?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 192

I would not even use the goframless.net in marketing other than to redirect, if someone forgets .net and instead types .com, you gave him traffic. I would go with www.glassdoors{insertcitynamehere}.com, it would be easy for the customers to remember.

I would also get rid of the "pricing" page if your not actually going to give people prices or example pricing there. I understand about not giving exact pricing, and have been trying to come up with a fair and accurate way of pricing, but have not come up with it. It was a bit of a disappointment for me when I clicked on your pricing page and there was none there. I do not think that disappointing the viewer is a good idea. Good Luck

Also... Who built your site? What template or framework is it?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemce View Post
As far as the content issues. Did you use the drop downs on each of the menu buttons ...
I don't think the dropdowns work with ipad, but I could be wrong as I don't have one. They don't work on my droid though, unless I'm doing something wrong.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Let's talk!

Trade: Lead Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
I would not even use the goframless.net in marketing other than to redirect, if someone forgets .net and instead types .com, you gave him traffic. I would go with www.glassdoors{insertcitynamehere}.com, it would be easy for the customers to remember.

I would also get rid of the "pricing" page if your not actually going to give people prices or example pricing there. I understand about not giving exact pricing, and have been trying to come up with a fair and accurate way of pricing, but have not come up with it. It was a bit of a disappointment for me when I clicked on your pricing page and there was none there. I do not think that disappointing the viewer is a good idea. Good Luck

Also... Who built your site? What template or framework is it?
He's using wordpress. Google 'Clear Theme', first result.

Nice site. Good work. Some tips:

- There's an empty space above logo, put call to action with your phone number there.

- Change the Site Title (inside wordpress admin, click Settings on the left) into:

Glass Shop {insert biggest city of your service area} | Frameless Glass Shower Doors {insert second biggest city of your service area}

So for example: Glass Shop Sacramento CA | Frameless Glass Shower Doors Fair Oaks CA

I know you're not just a 'regular glass shop', but those are main keywords your customer most likely will search (blind estimate here).

- Create a real Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
It's not that hard, you can find many online tutorials.
Insert the link to your Facebook icons on header and footer.

- Do not put your email on Mail icon, you will be spammed to death. Instead link it to your contact page. Use a captcha.

- I understand you don't have a showroom, but you must put an address somewhere on site (preferably footer and contact page). Put your home address ... or rent a virtual office for $50/month.

Why? Few months/years ago, there's a report leaked from Google's Search Quality Rater ... inside, there's a point which says "A website with an address, most likely not a spam site"

Google will treat you as a business site, not just some thin-crappy-affiliate-blog-type of site.

- Your portfolio and testimonials are your main weapons .. I'll sprinkle them everywhere on site: Homepage, sidebar and one image on top of every page, with a strong call to action below it.

- Never ever use cufon to create text. It's not your fault, it's the theme's fault. Use google webfonts, instead.

- Lastly, use 14pt font size or greater.

I apologize for a long reply

Advertisement