So Long Suckers - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

So Long Suckers

Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,856

So Long Suckers

I hope this means what I think it means.

So when you do a local search for our services you will see the normal spam from homeadvisor, houzz, angies list, business finder, the BBB, thumbtack, .....ect.

So if I am correct in thinking what I am thinking their days are numbered as search result spam masters.

I think what they have been doing is generating doorway pages. IE: A page that is auto generated with town plus service with no content on it except the dup. content they use for every other doorway page.

This could be huge for local contractors, well for the 5-10 that would be moved up the first 3 pages in the serps anyhow.

so this is the new page google has posted. The hammer will be falling

Quote:
Google’s Search Quality team is continually working on ways in which to minimize the impact of webspam on users. This includes doorway pages.

We have a long-standing view that doorway pages that created solely for search engines can harm the quality of the user’s search experience.

For example, searchers might get a list of results that all go to the same site. So if a user clicks on one result, doesn't like it, and then tries the next result in the search results page and is taken to that same site that they didn't like, that's a really frustrating experience.

Over time, we've seen sites try to maximize their “search footprint” without adding clear, unique value. These doorway campaigns manifest themselves as pages on a site, as a number of domains, or a combination thereof. To improve the quality of search results for our users, we’ll soon launch a ranking adjustment to better address these types of pages. Sites with large and well-established doorway campaigns might see a broad impact from this change.

To help webmasters better understand our guidelines, we've added clarifying examples and freshened our definition of doorway pages in our Quality Guidelines.

Here are questions to ask of pages that could be seen as doorway pages:

Is the purpose to optimize for search engines and funnel visitors into the actual usable or relevant portion of your site, or are they an integral part of your site’s user experience?
Are the pages intended to rank on generic terms yet the content presented on the page is very specific?
Do the pages duplicate useful aggregations of items (locations, products, etc.) that already exist on the site for the purpose of capturing more search traffic?
Are these pages made solely for drawing affiliate traffic and sending users along without creating unique value in content or functionality?
Do these pages exist as an “island?” Are they difficult or impossible to navigate to from other parts of your site? Are links to such pages from other pages within the site or network of sites created just for search engines?

If you have questions or feedback about doorway pages, please visit our webmaster help forum.

Posted by Brian White, Google Webspam Team
Labels: webmaster guidelines
Newer Post Older Post Home

Labels
Archive
Feed
Give us feedback in our Product Forums.
Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (03-17-2015), Calidecks (03-17-2015), George Z (03-21-2015), Sir Mixalot (03-17-2015), SmallTownGuy (04-13-2015), Tech Dawg (03-23-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,624

Re: So Long Suckers

Quote:
So if I am correct in thinking what I am thinking their days are numbered as search result spam masters.
Sounds like it. One thing I've been curious about is - if I have a site that has 10k outbound links to other sites and duplicated content (for the most part)......why would it rank so high in the first place?

Advertisement

SmallTownGuy (04-13-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaP View Post
Sounds like it. One thing I've been curious about is - if I have a site that has 10k outbound links to other sites and duplicated content (for the most part)......why would it rank so high in the first place?
I don't get it either. Those sites may have 500k pages once you consider every town in the country. Maybe just the sheer size of them? The seo on the sites is the best money can buy usually though.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (03-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

That'd be nice. I don't find many of those "spam" sites rank above mine and other competitors sites here though.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
JBM (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

That's great news JBM!

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Pro

Let's hope google goes after these big brands.

There is some chatter about local sites and their town and zip pages being under this change.

Just make the pages unique and problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #7

Trade: Lead Generation
Rewards Points: 178

Those sites rank very high because of their domain authority most of them have a massive domain authority and thousands of good quality links.

I have seen small local websites outrank those sites in local queries, Google is already helping small websites rank higher in local searches. Maybe they will apply an additional penalty for low quality landing pages to push down those sites.

That's great news, let's see how the local serps move in the next weeks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jadabreu For This Useful Post:
George Z (03-21-2015), JBM (03-18-2015), Sir Mixalot (03-21-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
I don't get it either. Those sites may have 500k pages once you consider every town in the country. Maybe just the sheer size of them? The seo on the sites is the best money can buy usually though.
It seems counter productive for Google. If I go to Google and search for Mason in Milford, PA I want to see websites of Masons in Milford, PA not a list of other sites with links to websites of Masons in Milford, PA. It's almost like mini search engine results from the search engine.

I outrank them on certain searches and not others. I look do at their code for tips sometimes.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaP View Post
It seems counter productive for Google. If I go to Google and search for Mason in Milford, PA I want to see websites of Masons in Milford, PA not a list of other sites with links to websites of Masons in Milford, PA. It's almost like mini search engine results from the search engine.

I outrank them on certain searches and not others. I look do at their code for tips sometimes.
I would change your page title to masonry contractor then town, state maybe phone number. Unless you actually do remodeling.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
I would change your page title to masonry contractor then town, state maybe phone number. Unless you actually do remodeling.
We remodel depending on what it is. I only really want the rustic type stuff.

According to AdWords - In our service area people don't search for Masonry as much as they do the names of the end products - basement waterproofing, foundation repairs, concrete sidewalks, pool deck repairs, etc. so that was why I changed things they way I did for this year.

Time will tell if my research is faulty or not. So far it's catching more quality leads than it used to.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Pro

Right, but think of the home page as the bucket and the service pages as the stuff that fills up the bucket. From the home page pick 3 or so services to link to that are the most popular.

thats the way the pros do it anyhow, what do i know
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (03-19-2015), Dave Mac (04-09-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Pro

It's always a work in progress.
JBM (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

Well hopefully Google does us right.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastek View Post
Well hopefully Google does us right.
Google is actually pretty nice to local businesses. If you look at the metrics in the serps a lot of crappy websites with PA of 12 rank right in there with Homeadvisor and AL.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Tens of thousands of reviews is the original relevant content, all user generated.
And all dummy contractors link to them from their homepages
(and kiss their visitors good bye)
Homestars in Toronto for example, returns 3-4 results on some searches.
All going to the same website.
Yes, Doorway Pages they are, they are SPAM and it's time they disappear!

Last edited by George Z; 03-21-2015 at 10:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
JBM (03-21-2015), Sir Mixalot (03-21-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #16

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 94

Google's not really referring to the big brand sites here. Google actually encourages building brands. Mainly referring to the SEO guys using these on sites to make money online.
Google has said they're changing the local SERP's to give the small businesses better visibility though. Not only are more searches done for local terms but coming from Mobile also.
The Following User Says Thank You to goldnote For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldnote View Post
Google's not really referring to the big brand sites here. Google actually encourages building brands. Mainly referring to the SEO guys using these on sites to make money online.
Google has said they're changing the local SERP's to give the small businesses better visibility though. Not only are more searches done for local terms but coming from Mobile also.
One can hope though
Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Seamless Gutters
Rewards Points: 106

Just goes to show how wide open the competition is on local searches...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #19

Trade: Custom Home Building, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 128

Doorway pages? We've used them to rank our top 8 keywords in roughly 7-10 nearby cities (these are just the ones we're tracking). We are typically the #1 spot on Maps, but as you said, theres usually a listing or two from HomeAdvisor or the likes organically above us.

We even use 'duplicate content.'

The trick is URL structure (domain/city/service), good title tags, original pictures between cities and interlinking each city within itself. And 500 word articles for each service, of course.

The update the OP referenced... I think that's more about doorway pages without any content at all. If you're using good, long content and unique pictures for each page, I don't think this applies.

Advertisement