So....I've Became An Authority On The Subject. Now What? - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

So....I've Became An Authority On The Subject. Now What?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Stone Guy

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 534

So....I've Became An Authority On The Subject. Now What?

Well, in my quest to conquer the internet, or at least avoid drowning in sheer lack of success, I have often seen advice like this:

"offer helpful information and establish yourself as the credible source of knowledge. Become an expert."

I ended up writing some how-to type articles. I am getting a good 6,000 visitors a month now. 5000 of those hits are for articles that I wrote on my block with titles like "what to use between flagstone, polymeric sand, stone dust, or what?" And "flagstone patios--gravel versus cement".

So now I am helpful to DIY'ers, nationwide.

So now I'm looking to bend that traffic into more actual customer traffic.

6000 per month, and growing. Not long ago I was invisible. Much better than ever before, but not local, and not buyers. Any ideas?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Headed For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (04-26-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Re: So....I've Became An Authority On The Subject. Now What?

That's Great!

You could put some Google adsense ads that show related subjects on those popular pages and make money anytime someone clicks on them.

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-28-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,444

If you want customers do this.

type sites4contractors.com into your bar up top and fill out the request form.

Even if you typed up an extremely detailed post on how to install a patio would it be done as well as you could do it? No way. Maybe there would be a 1 percenter out there who would pull it off, but it would take him 10x as long, opportunity costs or lost-whatever its called.

But if you must do it yourself you need to figure out your purchasing KW's and then add the town you want to work in somewhere. Ive tested the listing of the towns I work in at the end of my blog posts and it will pull up in the serps.

In the following chart you can see the results of having the town in the blog post. I wasnt ranking for this term in this town-not anywhere near page 1. IT isnt really in my service area, but it is active with high end work. If you are familiar with my site I have individual town pages, but not for this town. Anyhow, I added my listing of towns at the end of the post and put in a couple new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
So....I've became an authority on the subject. Now what?-chart.jpg   So....I've became an authority on the subject. Now what?-chart-1-.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Stone Guy

Sites4contactors....looking them over.

I had footbriidge.....but I'm so different from what they are used to dealing with. I felt like their cookie cutters just didn't fit. I am looking for someone similar to fb though, to possibly help me get my local results a bit better.I figure I could use some pro help--and having FB media for a year, I learnt a bit from them, and they did get my phone ringing--I just can't have them write too much content for me, as it really seamed to misrepresent me.

Another thought...is to somehow divide my website, into two different sites or into one site with two portals or something, IDK.....I could have someone like FB, writing typical contractor guy stuff for my masonry services, and then have another section under my iron-fist control, for my more artistic inclinations. AND/or hire someone to build me an artists website....

I don't expect anyone to read all this, but thanks if you do I've been wondering lately--do I need a publicist, a web designer, a life coach, a useful girlfriend or what?

Yes, I'm still typing! I actually rank fairly well for a couple of decent towns. Collegevillle PA has wealth, and I rank # 2 for "collegeville+hardscape". Got one email, last month from c-ville. Hence, I just wonder that my site, even with rankings, is just not catchy enough. Ease of use, poor branding, IDK know where I'm failing.... So yeah, your DIY analogy is spot-on JBM. I know I'm just a DIY guy, floundering here.

Adsense is a thought...

Hey, thank you gentlemen. I do not expect anyone to really solve these riddles for me, but I appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks

Last edited by Rock Headed; 04-26-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Where are you located?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Stone Guy

Pennsylvania.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Headed View Post
Pennsylvania.
Uh, ok....with a response like that, presumably you serve all of Pennsylvania then?

I suggest offering more location info without folks having to go search for it, even here. Yes, I now see that I could have found it in on your website, but why not just say Chester County, PA, (or wherever you are) or something like that? Sheesh.

----
Edit: I am sorry for being harsh, but that was my gut response as a potential customer. Ok, enough said on that. You do some amazing stuff. I would think networking with the best architects and designers is the way to go. Cheers.

Last edited by MarkJames; 04-26-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Stone Guy

Thank you for the feedback. No offense taken at all.

Upper left of the home page it sais my address: effort pa, serving the poconos. At the bottum of the home page it re-states my location in effort, and also mentions that I maintain second location in Schwenksville, serving the main line area/philadelphia suburbs.

Since you had trouble though....I'll consider making it easier.

And YES I do serve all of PA. Just finished a job clear on the other side of the sate--and am looking at two jobs out of state.

And I thank you for your advice.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. No offense taken at all.

Upper left of the home page it sais my address: effort pa, serving the poconos. At the bottum of the home page it re-states my location in effort, and also mentions that I maintain second location in Schwenksville, serving the main line area/philadelphia suburbs.

Since you had trouble though....I'll consider making it easier.

And YES I do serve all of PA. Just finished a job clear on the other side of the sate--and am looking at two jobs out of state.

And I thank you for your advice.
Ok, no harm done. Two quick suggestions:

1) Add location to your profile on this site (and others). It's one of the first things folks look at.

2) When some knucklehead like me on a website asks "where are you?", realize what they're actually asking (region, town, details on where you work/serve...stuff like that)

----

As for your initial question, I wonder if those kinds of articles are really helpful in gaining business of your caliber. What if you wrote more about the artistry, synergy with the surroundings, etc. etc.? That might put you way above the "how to do it" crowd. Or...what if you commissioned someone to write a profile about you in this regard? That might be worth the investment. (I know a specialized art gallery that had themselves profiled and it was a hit, business-wise.)

Last edited by MarkJames; 04-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
Stone Guy

Good stuff.

Now I'm curious about that last bit. Did they hire someone to write their profile, like a bio on their website--or something totally different, like an article published elsewhere?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Good stuff.

Now I'm curious about that last bit. Did they hire someone to write their profile, like a bio on their website--or something totally different, like an article published elsewhere?
They had hired someone to write a piece (interest article, it might have been called) on themselves that was then submitted to a targeted local magazine....(or was it the local paper - I don't remember). They paid a couple grand for it, but it opened doors and was worthwhile. It turns out that if a business has a unique angle, magazines may pick it up since not everything is done with reporters, etc. It would be like finding a story on your unique stonework in Philadelphia magazine without knowing you sponsored it in whole or in part (though I'm not sure how they actually do their thing).
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 296

The most important function of your site(from what I've heard) is that it pulls leads from the surrounding service area. That means you need to rank for highly for searches done by people in that service area. JBM has given you some good info on how to do that. I would focus on one keyword and/or service area at a time and keep building up your site until you rank well for all of the most lucrative terms and areas that you can. There are ways to research keywords to determine which terms and areas are going to have the highest search volume, which can be helpful if you have high population areas near you.

While you are slogging away at the first part you should be paying attention to your traffic and keeping an eye on your conversions such as, phone calls and email contacts. Don't just keep doing the same thing for every town for a year, make sure that what you're doing is actually efficient and effective.

The part that you are already doing is good in a number of ways. Having major traffic for a topic will help you rank well for that topic even if the service area isn't mentioned. That will make your job easier. You can also spin some of that authority into PR for your business and/or website. Look for opportunities with design or trade publications which can lead to good links and make sure you let local print and online publications know that you are getting serious traffic. They know that PR works in both directions.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

I'm just going to be cynical, and say that hammering the local angle and the specific service - "Best rock wall-builder in Harrisburg, Pa." - will beat general web content all the time. I used to post blog content regularly, and had plenty of traffic and plenty of interaction with interested folk from all around the world, but it wasn't very useful in getting customers.

I no longer look for organic results when I want to buy something. I turn off AdBlock, do my search, check the paid ads, and make the call. I believe that's what most folks do.
prowork (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Young-Guy Framer

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 266

The problem is your blog posts are targeting the wrong audience.

By going with how-to articles, your attracting the visitors who don't want to pay a professional to do it. If your post were more geared towards people who were looking to have work done, chances are you'd score much higher conversions. For example, someone who reads "7 Awesome Ideas Pennsylvanians are Using to Landscape Their Yards This Spring" is far more likely to see something they really like and ultimately buy from you than someone who reads a how-to guide.

The problem you have now is you may have done yourself a dis-service with all the how-to. Now, even if you start attracting traffic interested in buying your services, the very first thing they're going to do is read your articles to see how hard it would be to do it themselves. Even though the projects may be far beyond their ability, they'll likely think "Hey, I can do this" and you've just lost a lead.

I'd rather have 50 visitors a month that are highly interested in purchasing my services than 5000 visitors that want me to tell them how to do stuff. It sounds like you've done a fantastic job of learning the basics of creating and spreading good content. That's much of the hard part. Now it's time to refine the subjects of that content to make it start working for you. Good luck, and congrats on your progress so far. Not a lot of people stick with it long enough so their blog is actually producing traffic.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,444

Quote:
Sites4contactors....looking them over.

I had footbriidge.....but I'm so different from what they are used to dealing with. I felt like their cookie cutters just didn't fit. I am looking for someone similar to fb though, to possibly help me get my local results a bit better.I figure I could use some pro help--and having FB media for a year, I learnt a bit from them, and they did get my phone ringing--I just can't have them write too much content for me, as it really seamed to misrepresent me.

Another thought...is to somehow divide my website, into two different sites or into one site with two portals or something, IDK.....I could have someone like FB, writing typical contractor guy stuff for my masonry services, and then have another section under my iron-fist control, for my more artistic inclinations. AND/or hire someone to build me an artists website....

Thanks

So I do lots of boring crap week after week before I get to a project that i would post here. Most of my better money makers are projects that are run of the mill and straight forward.

With that in mind you , or I would prefer to let the expert web guys sculpt me a site that makes my phone ring non stop with those jobs because I know ill never go hungry, far from it. I end up going hungry doing the artsy stuff, go figure.

So let the web people have their site but grab a bunch of pages that can be yours for doing more interesting stuff.

First priority is just staying busy eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 521

This is a great topic because, well I'm currently in the same boat. I've got great experience with internet marketing, experience in the ecom industry, and set out to build myself/company as an authority with a blog on our website (Same principle that Marcus Sheridan teaches). Thats been accomplished. The reality is, most of the traffic it generates is worthless to me... actually it is a negative. The content is not 'how to' in nature but it still generates info from people looking for 'how to', people looking to see if we 'know' a contractor in their area, people looking to buy hard to find materials, people looking for an opinion on a problem/contractor, or people looking for a 'ball park quote' or people who are just bored. They find the blog, see our interactions, and think 'Oh these people just love to help for free' so they call us. Its awful.

The calls have gotten so annoying and everyone thinks you are just on the phone to answer their questions. Some people even threaten to leave bad reviews if we are too short, or don't reply to their emails.

I am now in the process of creating a 2nd website which most of the 'blog' will be moved to. It should be like concretenetwork.com This will separate my company name and phone number from everything but still allow us to capitalize on the web traffic. I'm planning to monetize the new site with adsense, capture leads for our 'referral network', and maybe offer a paid consultation service. Of course the new site will highly endorse my company.

Quote:
Rock Headed (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #17

Trade: Custom Home Building, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 128

Affiliate marketing?

Promote someone else's eBook on DIY projects.

Or write your own and sell it.

Are you building an email list?
The Following User Says Thank You to BMiller For This Useful Post:
Rock Headed (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #18
Stone Guy

Thank you gentlemen. I'll re-read your replies again later--helpful stuff that I want to take in and consider slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post

The part that you are already doing is good in a number of ways. Having major traffic for a topic will help you rank well for that topic even if the service area isn't mentioned. That will make your job easier. You can also spin some of that authority into PR for your business and/or website. Look for opportunities with design or trade publications which can lead to good links and make sure you let local print and online publications know that you are getting serious traffic. They know that PR works in both directions.

And I'm glad that 5000="major traffic"...and good point about the mutual PR thing--I have almost zero external links. People would maybe want to link up, now.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #19

Trade: Custom Home Building, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 128

I would also look further into your analytics account.

SPAM sites like SEMALT . com (don't waste your time) and buttons-for-websites can drastically inflate your visitor count. You'll see these under "Referrals" in Google Analytics. They are views with 100% bounce rate, 0.00 time on site. Usually from crazy countries that aren't even close to what you're targeting.

That 6,000/mo. can turn to 3 or less if you're getting bombarded with this type of traffic. So make sure you're only counting RELEVANT traffic, and filtering out the rest in your analytics account.

Even so, if they're not local and don't have buyer intent, throw an opt-in form on your website, start building a list, and sell either your own product or an affiliate's.

Advertisement