Rev. Slider Malware Attack - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Rev. Slider Malware Attack

Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Rev. Slider Malware Attack

I know a lot of you use revolution slider, I use it on a couple sites as well. I have been working on a malaware issue seems to be tied to this plugin.

http://blog.sucuri.net/2014/12/soaks...-websites.html

http://webconfs.com/google-malware-check.php

Check your sites
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (12-19-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Re: Rev. Slider Malware Attack

Good info! I've stood on my soapbox about why security is so vitally important before so I don't have to do it again. This is why. Thanks for flagging this J, if any CT members got hit it's good for them to know about it before the malware infects their site visitor's computers.

Advertisement

JBM (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

Security is funny that way, everyone goes oh we don't need to worry or spend the money we have never had a problem. Then a problem happens (Sony Entertainment) and then everyone goes why weren't we spending the money for better security.

In security no one remembers the 364 days of the year you got it right, you are remembered by the 1 day you got it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
JBM (12-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 588

Quote:
In security no one remembers the 364 days of the year you got it right, you are remembered by the 1 day you got it wrong.
This is exactly why we won't work on or manage sites we don't host. Security starts at the server level and having a qualified team of individuals dedicated to that. Nothing worse then trying to go through some 3rd rate support team that doesn't know anything about servers aside from what their support booklet says. Been there done that with customers who thought they were better off with their own hosting. Never again.

WP Sites get hacked... No way around that but you can definitely prevent most and then can mitigate any losses by having solid backup systems in place including off-site. Most contractors don't even think about site backups and don't realize they are usually responsible for it (unless your hosting includes it).

Cheap hosting is cheap for a reason... It usually sucks. Hosting, security and backup systems are our single biggest fixed expense as a company. Worth every penny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
CO762 (12-20-2014), JBM (12-19-2014), Tech Dawg (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 1,135

All my sites got hit with it on a shared hosting account. Most likely due to the RevSlider exploit. I had several layers of security in place as well, but if there are no definition files available for these exploits until after the fact, then infection is sometimes unavoidable. Thankfully, the security measures in place prevented the infection from going too deep and it was all cleaned up within a couple of hours. That's the first time in several years of running these sites that they've ever been hacked, all thanks to a theme that requires RevSlider yet does not keep it up to date as part of the price of the theme. Needless to say, that theme has been retired for something more dependable.
The Following User Says Thank You to gideond For This Useful Post:
JBM (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
know about it before the malware infects their site visitor's computers.
That is pretty under rated as a lot of people think if their system is running OK, their site is ok. I have my computer locked down pretty good and one time was at a construction related website and my computer warned me of re-directs in a few of the click options for their site. Their website didn't even know it.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 1,135

I first spotted it because I have NoScript enabled in Firefox and I started seeing blocked scripts on my sites from an ip address I had never seen. I'm just fortunate I occasionally check to see what NoScript is blocking, even if the sites are working fine. Otherwise it could have gone on for several days.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

This is why it is of the utmost importance to have a backup of your site and any databases required to run it. Yes I mean the wordpress guys it runs off a database.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
JBM (12-27-2014)