Page For Each City - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Page For Each City

Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

Page For Each City

In order to achieve good seo do you need to have a separate page for each city that you work in?

In other words, if you have a page for roof repair, should you copy that page and put the city name in the page name for each city that you work in?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 572

Re: Page For Each City

Yes and No. I would create pages for core areas and populate them with an overview of the services you provide in said area. Link out from here to all your service pages, that's a good start.

You can take it even further by creating an individual page for each service and it's service area.

bathroom remodeling city 1
city 2 bathroom remodeling
remodeling city 3 bathrooms
bathroom remodeling contractor city 4

You could easily have a 100+ website doing this and there is nothing wrong with that. Crush the competition with content.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (12-12-2013), Dave Mac (09-24-2014), MEL (12-11-2013), THINKPAINTING (12-14-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Pro

Would it create a problem if the content on each page is identical, only a different page name for each city?

For example:

Roof Repair City 1
Roof Repair City 2
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Yes, keep content unique for each page / city.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
Would it create a problem if the content on each page is identical, only a different page name for each city?
Double yes! It would be a problem. I strongly second the advice that each page needs to be unique. Sure you will see MANY sites doing exactly what you asked about, but it's spam to the search engines. You'll do more harm than good.

An easy way to determine whether or not something is a good idea is to anticipate how humans will respond. If a human would consider it tacky, spammy, overly repetitious, or in any way uninviting, Google will punish you too. If not now, later, but they will punish you.
MEL (12-12-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
In order to achieve good seo do you need to have a separate page for each city that you work in?

In other words, if you have a page for roof repair, should you copy that page and put the city name in the page name for each city that you work in?
Why not integrate this into your blog (if you have one) (if not, start one) If you have 3 big cities but then a bunch of surrounding towns... grab up some job photos and write a page on how you did xyz service in town 1 and then move onto the next blog for the next town.

Roofing can be pretty repetitive though so I can feel some of your pain there. On google+ there was a roofing company that shared a great before and after photo:

The before was the young couple sitting on the roof with their thumbs down...
The after was the young couple sitting on the new roof with their thumbs up and all smiles!

Marketing gold! They wrote a blog around it with those 2 photos.

Now get out there and find a couple that's not afraid to get on the roof
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
LeeFowler (12-14-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Pro

Suppose I didn't want to make a page for each city, what would be the best location on the page to list the cities? Right now I have a list in the footer but I could put it on the right hand column.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
Suppose I didn't want to make a page for each city, what would be the best location on the page to list the cities? Right now I have a list in the footer but I could put it on the right hand column.
It doesnt matter. Content is the driving factor behind Google. Listing the cities will help some but for it to work better you need content targeted those cities.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Non-conformist

A service area page is better than listing them on every page.
Dave Mac (09-24-2014)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 304

My favorite approach is to discuss a project that you did in that town, e.g. Custom Bathroom in Boondock. You don't need to cover each service on each geo page. Google is clever enough to associate the various pages on your site and correlate. In competitive markets you will want to cover each area more completely.

Copy/pasting text and swapping out the location is a no-no that will probably get you slapped.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Double yes! It would be a problem. I strongly second the advice that each page needs to be unique. Sure you will see MANY sites doing exactly what you asked about, but it's spam to the search engines. You'll do more harm than good.
Are you sure about that? I see contractors that copy their pages and only change the name of the page to include the city and they have been ranking high for over a year. The only change they make in the content is to change the name of the city.

Quote:
An easy way to determine whether or not something is a good idea is to anticipate how humans will respond. If a human would consider it tacky, spammy, overly repetitious, or in any way uninviting, Google will punish you too. If not now, later, but they will punish you.
The visitors are being directed to a landing page for each city and there are no links to other pages. The only way you can find the other pages is to search for a different city name.

Last edited by MEL; 12-19-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
It doesnt matter. Content is the driving factor behind Google. Listing the cities will help some but for it to work better you need content targeted those cities.
It seems like the page name is more important than content as long as keywords (city name they are searching for) are found in the page name.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Can some of the content be the same or does it have to be 100% different?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Non-conformist

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I see contractors that copy their pages and only change the name of the page to include the city and they have been ranking high for over a year. The only change they make in the content is to change the name of the city.
To answer that the distinction between because of and in spite of will help. On top of that you have competition factors.

Here's what I mean. Before Google started punishing the gaudy lists of cities as an attempt at SEO, sites were ranking in spite of the practice. I had several discussions on here about the fact that it wasn't helping, but the disciples of the method were convinced it was because of it that they were ranking. Now it's known over the last couple years that Google shifted from ignoring it to actively punishing it. That's no surprise, it was very inevitable and predictable that it would happen.

Many sites do use the practice of a fill in the blank content page where only the city name changes from one page to the next. What's worse is sometimes it's even the same content as many other sites are using. The same duplicate content is not only on one site but several.

It's a well known fact that Google devalues duplicate content so the principle that duplicate content will never work in your favor is sound. Ranking in spite of it is possible though.

That's where comparative and competitive factors come into play. If the competitors to the sites that have been ranking aren't doing any better, then a bad site can rank simply because no one in the market is using sound design and SEO principles. It could just be a case of Google not having any great choices.

To answer your other question, completely unique is always better. It can have similarities, but it should always be written in a way that the same reader could review all of it and not find it spammy. It's a lot more work, but it's also a lot harder to get dethroned because very few people are willing to work that hard and they can't dethrone you unless they do. Even then, by the time they try you should have an intimidating lead.
MEL (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Kitchen Refacer
Rewards Points: 250

instead of regular pages would blog posts have the same value. I try and put projects done in different cities in separate posts with the name of the city in the title. Or would that be considered one page for google?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnafo View Post
instead of regular pages would blog posts have the same value. I try and put projects done in different cities in separate posts with the name of the city in the title. Or would that be considered one page for google?
You would still want all of your regular service and service are format (whatever that may be)

If you write a blog that talks about an existing town or service on the site (with unique content), it will bring another landing page to that one search.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,848

Quote:
Geotagging (also written as GeoTagging) is the process of adding geographical identification metadata to various media such as a geotagged photograph or video, websites, SMS messages, QR Codes[1] or RSS feeds and is a form of geospatial metadata. This data usually consists of latitude and longitude coordinates, though they can also include altitude, bearing, distance, accuracy data, and place names.
Geotagging can help users find a wide variety of location-specific information. For instance, one can find images taken near a given location by entering latitude and longitude coordinates into a suitable image search engine. Geotagging-enabled information services can also potentially be used to find location-based news, websites, or other resources.[2] Geotagging can tell users the location of the content of a given picture or other media or the point of view, and conversely on some media platforms show media relevant to a given location.
The related term geocoding refers to the process of taking non-coordinate based geographical identifiers, such as a street address, and finding associated geographic coordinates (or vice versa for reverse geocoding). Such techniques can be used together with geotagging to provide alternative search techniques.
This is working today in photos. (not only on your own website, but all properties we upload pics to)...

This has broad and potentially far reaching implications for us who upload photos. It can help you rank for towns without making town pages, just be careful not to
"muddy the waters" with to much mish mash on each page.

As always make small changes and observe.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
MEL (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
This is working today in photos. (not only on your own website, but all properties we upload pics to)...

This has broad and potentially far reaching implications for us who upload photos. It can help you rank for towns without making town pages, just be careful not to
"muddy the waters" with to much mish mash on each page.

As always make small changes and observe.
Do you think a city name is good enough or do you need lat & longitude?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,848

In the alt tag I would use a city name but in the geo code I would use an exact location.

I havent done much testing, but there could be a combo this would work well with,. Like if you used roofing replacement in the alt , and then in the geo you put in the lat/long it might be a better combo then if you were to double up on the location.

Find the people who know, look for local seo forums, . I just put it in the toolbox for now.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

I named my company after a large city....when people search for a plumber in that city my name comes up first.....now it seems every guy is using the tactic of having 10-15 websites -1 for every city...im even considering doing it too

there's one guy I know who is #1 or #2 on every city on google searches.....it seems like an easy way to get to the top

Advertisement