New SEO Company , 5 Months In And Averaging 6-8 Visitors A Day - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

New SEO Company , 5 Months In And Averaging 6-8 Visitors A Day

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,262

New SEO Company , 5 Months In And Averaging 6-8 Visitors A Day

NYC / Westchester Market

Spending $300 Per Month

Was with Footbridge Prior for a year.

I get calls every now and then, averaging 4-5 a Month.

What are your thoughts?

I think my SEO budget isnt enough for my market and that money can be spent on gambling Adwords or Other traditional print media.

Help!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Re: New SEO Company , 5 Months In And Averaging 6-8 Visitors A Day

You dont have a blog, that is hindering you. Put up a blog on your site, seo it till it gets some PR, do a wordpress.com blog on your own and put up some blogs on it.

What does the company do for you for 300? Article marketing? Directory listings?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 588

Be thankful Footbridge hasn't dropped you from all of their directories yet, because that's what is holding your site up right now. Your $300 a month SEO company appears to be doing virtually nothing. Ask them what they've done. I'll give you a link report that will show all your footbridge links and a few from other sources that they likely got, hardly any.

This:

Quote:
Ardsley, NY 10502 | Ardsley-on-Hudson, NY 10503 | Armonk, NY 10504 | Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510 | Bronxville, NY 10708 | Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522 | Eastchester, NY 10707, 10709 | Elmsford, NY 10523 | Harrison, NY10528 | Hartsdale, NY 10530 | Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706| Hawthorne, NY 10532 | Irvington, NY 10533| Larchmont, NY 10538 | Mamaroneck, NY 10543 | Mount Vernon, NY 10552, 10553 | New Rochelle, NY 10801, 10802, 10803, 10804, 10805 | North White Plains, NY 10603 | Pelham, NY 10803 | Pelham Manor, NY 10803 | Port Chester, NY 10573 | Purchase, NY10577 | Rye, NY 10580 | Rye Brook, NY 10573 | Scarsdale, NY 10583 | Tarrytown, NY 10591 | Tuckahoe, NY 10707 | White Plains, NY
Is spammy.... And you've done it on every service page. I would cut this list down to 10 and make an individual page for them, showcase all of your services on these pages with a bulleted list. Give the Search engines something to actually index.

Your Videos... Are not optimized at all... You should have 1 or 2 paragraph descriptions with each video. You should also include your full physical business address (Citation) and also LINK OUT to the page your video is about, not your homepage.

Put a video or two in your sidebar! or on the particular page they belong to spice up your content a little.

I would remove the buttons in your sidebar...

1. Request an in home consultation - Why would you make them click this? Just have the form right there... High on the right, never moves, always there.

2. Check Out The Latest Home Improvement Tips - Again... You are losing the benefit of having the LINKS for your articles appear on the homepage. You should have a feed, that displays a few articles right there. Not a button.

Your calls-to-action are weaker than they should be... Bolder, Brighter...

There is much more, but I don't have the time at this moment... For $300 a month these are small things that they should have picked up on that will help you.

Carl

Last edited by carlsore; 05-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (05-16-2012), J F (05-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,004

$300 bucks won't get you too far on PPC...maybe 50 clicks.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandConst For This Useful Post:
416plumbers (06-11-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,262

Carl,

Can you PM / email me? Your inbox is full.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
We Repair Garage Doors

Trade: Garage doors, openers and garage door repair
Rewards Points: 250

You should have been in the Avengers movie as Mr. Invisible.

Ask them what is their approach is for getting you calls or proper search placement.

You have jumped into a dynamic system where if one part isn't executed properly nothing works or is barely measurable.

As the single most important step in gaining calls/placement is knowing where you need to be positioned on search engines. One problem that jumps out is not having some real keywords that will convert. You need keywords that don't come from somebody in the business. The majority of customers have not acquired the terminology of a remodeling contractor.

A simple tool in determining value might be to get in touch with service magic and find out the value of their remodeling leads as they will tell you specifically, from there you can judge from what you’re paying this seo company and do a little math.
The Following User Says Thank You to doorrepairsac For This Useful Post:
416plumbers (06-11-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor for fema (disaster recovery division)
Rewards Points: 75

copyscape your site.

the same text is use where u put links, that a no no you hurting your site, by not being unique content anymore.
google had 3 major update in the last 60 days, for thin content , spun and affiliated wich drop thems .

also work on your meta tags. They are all the same except for the name of the city := not good. google will drop you from appearing naturally for this,
check them out here. http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...&start=40&sa=N
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 25

Seriously... $300 per month should be getting you tons of visitors. Are you on the first page for the important keywords to you? Our company even has a First Page Promise and it's worked great for us... I can give you their information if you'd like.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clog Pro View Post
Seriously... $300 per month should be getting you tons of visitors.
Not so fast. His company is in the NYC area which is an important consideration. We can't deal with just the price here and provide a fair assessment, understanding the competitive situation brings more meaning to the numbers.
doorrepairsac (05-28-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 10

I pay around $300 a month. I had to pay $0 to get started and my guy built a website at no extra cost and it wasn't a cheap looking site either.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtlantaRoofing View Post
I pay around $300 a month. I had to pay $0 to get started and my guy built a website at no extra cost and it wasn't a cheap looking site either.
Your site looks pretty decent, the footer is keyword stuffed, I wouldnt do that. You are also not receiving any off site seo that is detectable anyways. Your site may be pretty new though.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
QAtlantaRoofing (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Your site looks pretty decent, the footer is keyword stuffed, I wouldnt do that. You are also not receiving any off site seo that is detectable anyways. Your site may be pretty new though.
Yeah, we just launched it this week. I havent had to pay a dime . The website was included. The guy seems know what he is doing. I ll update you with results.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtlantaRoofing View Post
I did the same thing. I think this is a huge benefit. So many companies charge a lot without results. I found a guy that charges nothing upfront and then provides call tracking for how many phone calls we get a month.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Pro

Sounds good. Do you own the domain name, and have control of it. Do you own the business number that is being tracked? If you cancel do you keep the seo that has been done so far, or is it on his network. Things to keep in mind.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
A stickler for excellence

Rewards Points: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clog Pro View Post
Seriously... $300 per month should be getting you tons of visitors. Are you on the first page for the important keywords to you? Our company even has a First Page Promise and it's worked great for us... I can give you their information if you'd like.
$300/month for SEO is really low, low enough that I'd be skeptical of the person doing the work if they are devoting more than a handful of hours to your campaign. A first page promise is a great filter; if a firm offers it, you don't have to waste any more time with them, because they aren't legit. There are no guarantees in the world of SEO except that it's a constant battle. Google changes its algorithms constantly, there's a ton of variance in the results of queries based on proximity creating instability in rankings, rankings can be personalized from machine to machine creating further instability, etc. Also, a firm who makes these kinds of guarantees is much more likely to use black hat methods when they have to deliver on that guarantee, and that's definitely not something you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSB For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
$300/month for SEO is really low, low enough that I'd be skeptical of the person doing the work if they are devoting more than a handful of hours to your campaign. A first page promise is a great filter; if a firm offers it, you don't have to waste any more time with them, because they aren't legit. There are no guarantees in the world of SEO except that it's a constant battle. Google changes its algorithms constantly, there's a ton of variance in the results of queries based on proximity creating instability in rankings, rankings can be personalized from machine to machine creating further instability, etc. Also, a firm who makes these kinds of guarantees is much more likely to use black hat methods when they have to deliver on that guarantee, and that's definitely not something you want.
The fact is there is always a new bag of tricks and they sometimes work amazingly well... for a short time before they bite.

A major problem with these guarantees is the people providing them do not work for Google. They are guaranteeing you something they have no control over. This is why legitimate SEO people do not make guarantees. That would be like an electrician guaranteeing no power outages.

With that said, some things in SEO never change. If you build around the solid principles Google will never want to penalize you for, then algorithm changes that send many people into a panic won't alarm you. That's a tougher sell though because it involves hard work and time.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
ConstructionMarketingPro

Trade: Marketer for Construction Companies/Contractors
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbingcali View Post
I did the same thing. I think this is a huge benefit. So many companies charge a lot without results. I found a guy that charges nothing upfront and then provides call tracking for how many phone calls we get a month.
Nothing upfront? That's a hell of a risk if you ask me.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #18

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling

You have to follow the work of these companies. Some will do a lot for $300. Some will do very little. If you're not getting results, there's a problem. Link building is generally cumulative, so things need to get better not worse. But competition can be a b*tch. What are the other guys doing on thier end? They may be spending $600.

If you've got a lot of competition, find a niche keyword that you can dominate. Make sure your SEO company is in line. If they don't sound interested, abandon ship. SEO is an art, not a formula. A lot of times the discount SEO companies will put you on their "System". Problem is, one size does not fit all.

When I first started with SEO, I hired a company for three hundred a month that was billing me for 15 hours a month. When I decided that the results were not what I expected, I did some digging and found out that I was being charged an hour of time for 1 backlink. Turns out one link takes about 3 minutes to create. Not to mention, the backlinks were some very low quality sites. I immediately cancelled the service. Be wary of these companies, make sure to read reviews and ask for referrals. Just like people research you when they're looking for contractors.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
catalfanoc

Trade: roofing and remodeling

not to hi-jack his thread but I also had footbridge and switched to a company that is charging me 600.00 a month plus a 500 fee to juice up the site as they put it. I haven't seen any changes just about 5-6 hits per day www.catalfanobrothers.com
Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #20

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalfanoc View Post
not to hi-jack his thread but I also had footbridge and switched to a company that is charging me 600.00 a month plus a 500 fee to juice up the site as they put it. I haven't seen any changes just about 5-6 hits per day www.catalfanobrothers.com
I think you've got a nice site. It looks nice, and customers will want to call. I would suggest writing more content on the first page. You only have 2 paragraphs.

You could also thumbtack a section of your blog on the first page and try to write a weekly post. That will update the page with new content regularly (higher rankings).

It can also be a good idea to download a free application like rankchecker to see how you're actually doing. You may need to install Firefox browser to do this.

Advertisement