Linking To Other Contractors Websites? - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Linking To Other Contractors Websites?

Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Trade: concrete excavating sitework masonry
Rewards Points: 114

Linking To Other Contractors Websites?

So I'm working with an SEO person and doing some work myself. I hear and read so much about getting backlinks from other websites, preferably in an industry similar to yours. Obviously it's hard to get backlinks from other contractors in your area, especially ones you compete with. My question is why don't some of the forum members get together and provide links to each others websites as I'm sure most of the ones here don't compete with each other in the local market they serve? Obviously I'm not an expert in this area but I figure it would be a way we could all help each other out.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 521

Re: Linking To Other Contractors Websites?

Its a good idea, when done properly through value adding guest blogging. I even made a post last week offering to write up some unique content, as I do a ton of content marketing and have a writer and developer on staff: http://www.contractortalk.com/f12/bl...ebsite-355561/

I only had 1 person message me about it.

Your services are relevant / similar to mine, so, I'll PM you in a minute. Im in the exterior / patio / deck trade, and can work with most others in that area, or most any trades located in Florida.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Licensed General Contractor
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannid View Post
So I'm working with an SEO person and doing some work myself. I hear and read so much about getting backlinks from other websites, preferably in an industry similar to yours. Obviously it's hard to get backlinks from other contractors in your area, especially ones you compete with. My question is why don't some of the forum members get together and provide links to each others websites as I'm sure most of the ones here don't compete with each other in the local market they serve? Obviously I'm not an expert in this area but I figure it would be a way we could all help each other out.
PM'd you about a link exchange. Would be beneficial for both of our sites. Message me back for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Accounting
Rewards Points: 18

Thanks for sharing this cool idea with us.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,872

You can do link exchanges with your own properties if you expand your web sites...

gotta think bigger people.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 528

This will basically be link exchange which is not good. You should do a competitor link analysis using tools like SEM Rush and then imitate what are your (more successful than you) competitors are doing. Then find some authority websites from your niche and see what can you do to get a backlink from them (guest blog, for example). I think this will be more effective. Don't forget to check the domain rating for each site that you intend to get a backlink from. Backlinks from sites with low DA can only hurt your rankings.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquakbd View Post
This will basically be link exchange which is not good. You should do a competitor link analysis using tools like SEM Rush and then imitate what are your (more successful than you) competitors are doing. Then find some authority websites from your niche and see what can you do to get a backlink from them (guest blog, for example). I think this will be more effective. Don't forget to check the domain rating for each site that you intend to get a backlink from. Backlinks from sites with low DA can only hurt your rankings.
This is exactly what I am a strong proponent of (with finding authority websites).

It took me awhile to get a $Billion competitor of Home Depot and Lowes to begin looking to help contractors get more leads by strategic linking to their clients. The get great customer case studies while being able to help link strategically via Anchor Text and Pictures and Video too.

Not technically challenging, but it takes an effort for finding the suppliers who really look to help their customers beyond just giving them lead gen options.

I actually just won a Digital Content Marketing Award based on this whole topic and am in the process of updating my site to reference it.
HomeArt (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
Jim

Trade: Vanguard Home Designs LLC
Rewards Points: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
You can do link exchanges with your own properties if you expand your web sites...

gotta think bigger people.
Hi JBM,

You are correct.

I work with MOTB and he is a big proponent of having us solicit links from our suppliers.

I had this topic mentioned on a different thread, but here is an example of how a high ranking site is promoting us as a Manhattan KS Window Installation Contractor.

They link via Anchor Text and Pictures too where they are supporting our Keyword objectives.

You do have to have a good relationship with your suppliers in order to make it happen.

Jim
Vanguard Home Designs
Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSContractor View Post

I had this topic mentioned on a different thread, but here is an example of how a high ranking site is promoting us as a Manhattan KS Window Installation Contractor.

They link via Anchor Text and Pictures too where they are supporting our Keyword objectives.

You do have to have a good relationship with your suppliers in order to make it happen.
Hey Jim,
I didn't yet update you, but the award we received did in part show your Case Study among the others. I will share the details with you after I post everything.
Brian
Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSContractor View Post
Hi JBM,

You are correct.

I work with MOTB and he is a big proponent of having us solicit links from our suppliers.

Jim
Vanguard Home Designs
I was thinking more along the lines of dropped URL;s with link profiles....
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #11

Trade: Avatar Trade
Rewards Points: 22

Studying Google would tell you everything you need to know about SEO. Find the sites that are where you want to be and reverse-engineer them.

Generally, you'll find a pattern of the following. There’ll be mentions, which is your brand name with no links, blind links as in 'https://www.site.com', keyword backlinks, and proximity links where an associated word is linked. For example: “red brick wall" where wall is backlinked.

These can be on like-minded sites, forums, blogs and anywhere else where they can take the form of a linked image, guest blog, forum or blog comment directly to your site or to a linked page (for instance, Facebook page).

The point is to mix it up and make it natural. No quick fixes. Keep it slow and steady. You don't ever want Google to think you are a marketer.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
WisewayHomeServices

Trade: Paintning and Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16

I agree as a handyman painting company trying to get quality back-links has been a real challenge. https://www.wisewayhomeservice.com Thanks, Joe
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Trade: BC
Rewards Points: 14

I have a 2 real estate website that has pretty good DA/PA and TF/CF. In return I can write an article for my construction website
Old 08-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #14

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 146

This is a good idea but if you start doing too much of it the google machine will know and penalize you.

I've always been a big proponent that content is king. If you research your key word, write good informative articles on the subject Google will recognize you as an industry leader and place your search results above others.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
Pro

There used to be a thing, if you had reciprocal links and one site got a ding, the other sites would too. Dont know if that's a thing still.
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #16

Trade: Contractor Marketing
Rewards Points: 6

Yeah, this used to be a great thing, especially back in 2017 (which I believe is when the post was originally created?) Unfortunately, last year Google caught on to this as a lot of big directory sites were doing this in exchange for a free listing. I had some sites get slapped because of it. Now, so long as you've got your basic citations in place (Google My Business, Yelp, Bing Places for Business, Foursquare, Manta, etc) a couple of these won't hurt, but if you're getting a lot of links like this, it's going to be a problem. Also, just be sure to mix it up and don't only get reciprocal links, or citations, or guest posts. If you want to hire someone to do guest posting for you, there are a lot of good services out there like qualityguestposts.com (no affiliation) and just be sure to include the "s" otherwise I've heard horror stories! Also, writing your own articles and sharing them can be helpful for getting natural links, just make sure they're quality and can be shared.

Advertisement