Keyword Ranking Tools - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Keyword Ranking Tools

Old 10-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,216

Keyword Ranking Tools

Hi all,

A popular question we get is "Which tools do you recommend for your Keyword Analysis?". There are a handful to choose.

I always try to warn people not to get into Analysis Paralysis where they create so many permutations where it is so time consuming to just review every possible permutation of keywords someone desires to be found in.

There is a marketing strategy that is too lengthy for this post when it comes to Keyword Analysis, but here are the tools I either use or have others using as their preferred options:

https://serpbook.com/

https://serpwatcher.com/

https://www.accuranker.com/

https://positionly.com/

There are others but these are the ones I bump into the most working with so many different programmers and website firms.

Warning: Regardless of what you choose, there will always be permutations when you compare one report to another. In other words, one report may show a specific keyword phrase ranking position 5 while another report may show the same exact phrase ranking better or worse. Also, it is better to simply manage the rankings as time elapses as opposed to just running a report once to claim success or failure on your strategies.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,190

Re: Keyword Ranking Tools

If your in a competitive market I always thought a metric to track is how often your site is crawled to help determine if G is looking at you as an authority.

If your in a competitive market moving keywords without becoming an "authority" will be hard...

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
If your in a competitive market I always thought a metric to track is how often your site is crawled to help determine if G is looking at you as an authority.

If your in a competitive market moving keywords without becoming an "authority" will be hard...
You are correct, it is actually a combination of two different topics. One quick example is first paying attention to a Domain Authority. I have seen people have websites with a DA 1 (the lowest ranking possible) and they play all sorts of SEO games without realizing the search engines are not paying attention to them. But then, as someone's DA rises, so does the opportunities to leverage strength for keyword positioning.

What stimulated the original post was a client of mine was doing an end of year review and we were simply looking at the differences of his positions for the permutations of Kitchen Remodel and Kitchen Remodeling. He is doing better, not by much with Kitchen Remodeling so we were just reviewing new content that would use the words Kitchen Remodel without using the words Kitchen Remodeling. Another person happened to run a different report. The rankings were not identical, but they did show that Remodeling was doing better than Remodel.

Figured I would just use the opportunity to pass along a few suggestions if people have a good DA and can take advantage of ranking opportunities.

Hope all is well as the year is winding up.
MOTB
JBM (10-26-2018)

Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Pain+Reflection= Progress

Trade: Heavy Underground
Rewards Points: 18

Without me testing the tools you've listed; Do these tools list order of importance?
-For example, should I drive traffic to external links in order to build trust signals with search engines or focus on keywords embedded within meta data?
-Should I spend more time updating content or increase content length on an overall basis?

Ultimately, which SEO tactics give the best results for time spent?
To be effective you must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out whatís true. If you are too proud of what you know or of how good you are at something you will learn less, make inferior decisions, and fall short of your potential.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana View Post
Without me testing the tools you've listed; Do these tools list order of importance?
-For example, should I drive traffic to external links in order to build trust signals with search engines or focus on keywords embedded within meta data?
-Should I spend more time updating content or increase content length on an overall basis?

Ultimately, which SEO tactics give the best results for time spent?
Your traffic to all sources should reflect your link velocity, as well as social mentions.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Kana (11-06-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Trade: cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 18

I use semrush and G keyword planner.
Just wondering why do you need more tools
Old 12-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvach View Post
I use semrush and G keyword planner.
Just wondering why do you need more tools
Thanks for the extra names.

To answer the question, all the tools will have permutations of varying results. And some of them have many more features than others. And others focus more of keywords for advertising as opposed to keywords for organic (Free Search). It is not a question of "more" tools, but rather people feeling comfortable with what tools they choose, and how much they want to invest. Usually there will always be a website somewhere that will allow you to compare Tool #1 vs Tool #2 if you are interested in all the details.

Advertisement