This Is How You SEO - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

This Is How You SEO

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

This Is How You SEO

I have to make this quick, but wanted to share with you guys.
We all talk about link building, and there's a lot of confusion in the area. Here's what we know, and there should be no confusion on this point:
1. Links to your site are like votes for your site. They tell search engines how important your site is.
2. Despite the Panda update, links are still HUGELY important.
3. A link from a high quality site to your site is far, far more valuable than a link from a low quality site. We can use Domain Authority to gauge the quality of the site.
4. A link from a high quality page from within a high quality domain is far more valuable than a low quality page. We can use Page Authority to judge what I'm calling quality.
See www.opensiteexplorer.org to see page authority and domain authority for specific URLs.

I believe that one link from a page with Page Authority 50 and Domain Authority 50 is better than 500 links from domains and pages with authority below 10. In fact, the scale is logarithmic so that's true.

When you have links pointing to your site from quality sites, it raises the quality (authority) of your site. That's what they mean by passing link juice. If your site has a higher authority than your competitors site you will outrank them in the search results so long as there are no serious problems with your site.
G plus places knows the authority of your site as well and uses that (in part) to determine where you show up in local results.

Of course there are other factors that go into search results, but I'm starting to learn that your site's authority is probably the single biggest factor and can easily make up for deficiencies in other aspects.

So where do you get high quality links pointing to your site? Using the link above you can analyze where your competitors are getting their authority form, so that's a good start. But be creative: there's all kinds of places to get good links. .gov and .edu tend to be some of the best. And some places you might think would be good can turn out to be worthless: my chamber of commerce for example.

I just got my best link a few days ago by joining my city's climate change mitigation initiative. That alone took my site from somewhere in the murky backwaters of the internet to the forefront of search results.

Please share your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leeson1776 For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (11-19-2013), Charles_cz (08-26-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Re: This Is How You SEO

What if you could make your own links from your own medium DA40-50 ish sites....what if eventually you could sell advertising space on them, what if you could harness email lists and capture leads on 10 -50 niche related sites?

Keep thinking pal your on the right track.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
What if you could make your own links from your own medium DA40-50 ish sites....
The problem is getting a single site to DA 40-50 in the first place. No easy task.

Besides, I'm thinking that if I had a few sites with a DA of ~50 point to my site, I might achieve a DA 50, but it would be capped there. To break through that cap I would need higher quality links. I mean, even if there were fifty DA 50 sites linking to me, I'd be maxed at DA 50. Right?

JBM you're the only one who ever comes in this forum lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Pro

Yeah I know, no one cares about seo

One of my sites will crack a DA 30 soon, and the other will hit 35 shortly. Its not to tough to get to here. My masonry site has been 35 for a while, ive chilled on it though, its crushing the places rankings right now, why draw attention to it
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,646

Oh I come in here read what is written and run away screaming.....since I have no idea what you guys are talking about..
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Charles

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 151

Same here.. I have nothing to say but happy to learn..
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeson1776 View Post
JBM you're the only one who ever comes in this forum lol.
Even though I keep quiet most of the time, I'm here.

Actually, this is one of only 4 areas I ever go on CT. As a result, whenever there is drama on any other part of the forum I'm completely unaware of it until the evidence starts spilling over. I've missed several events and still don't know the details (nor do I make an effort to find out).

Even though SEO still makes most contractors glaze over quickly, things are better than they were a few years ago. Most contractors used to swear they didn't even need a web site. At least now a good dose of reality has woken up a good percentage. The next logical step is to want to have those web sites found by people seeking your services without neglecting the need to win them over once they find you.

Since we are talking about DA, let me simplify one aspect that you don't have to be an SEO guy to get. Domain age plays an important role which is why the wait and see crowd is at a serious disadvantage. Most contractors are only beginning to acknowledge the importance of a web site. As more and more pull the trigger and go online, the ones who have been at this a while and the ones seriously taking the plunge now will make it exponentially more difficult for those who jump on board later.

The economy has served to fuel this push a lot already. I've been doing this for over 15 years now and the last five have been the most interesting. Prior to 5 years ago, I could rank a contractor site very easily and comparatively inexpensively in almost any market. That has changed a lot and the prices have gone up significantly because the effort required keeps escalating. Those with an early lead have an advantage because Google and other search engines favor the age of a site literally to a fault.

I'll go so far as to illustrate that last point. It was just over 5 years ago that a small business forum I was part of took a tumble due to being bought by someone who let it rot through neglect. Seriously, they thought they could just make money from it with a completely hands off approach, it was staggering. It quickly died and turned into a spam wasteland which it remains today. It violates every principle of good ranking yet it is still #1 in search results.

There was a core group of several members who didn't want the total lack of concern from the new owners to destroy the benefit that the forum model provided (imagine such a thing happening to CT and you can identify with this sentiment). A new forum was created and remains strong and growing. It is at least 50 times more active than the old one, it's devoid of spam because the managers are truly concerned about quality, yet it ranks #2 because Google refuses to negate the DA no matter how low quality the original has become.

In this example it works to the negative. My real point is to illustrate how vital it is to step up now and make it work to the positive before someone else seizes the opportunity ahead of you.
Charles_cz (08-28-2013), leeson1776 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,646

Now that I know what DA stands for how was your ranking affected if you redo your website?
I ask because my original website was putt in service in 2002 and I just had Darren redo my website about 2 months ago.
I didn't even know about such a thing as domain age ranking. So I had no idea to ask if a total new website , using the same domain name, would affect my rankings.
I guess the next question would be is where do I find my domain site ranking?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcquin View Post
Now that I know what DA stands for how was your ranking affected if you redo your website?
I ask because my original website was putt in service in 2002 and I just had Darren redo my website about 2 months ago.
I didn't even know about such a thing as domain age ranking. So I had no idea to ask if a total new website , using the same domain name, would affect my rankings.
I guess the next question would be is where do I find my domain site ranking?
http://moz.com/learn/seo/domain-authority

Dont get hung up on all this mumbo jumbo just make a killer website and do you part for local seo and youll be fine. Especially with an older domain already.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
bmcquin (08-27-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 10

All good points leeson1776 although just because a website has a higher domain authority than you, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will automatically rank above you. If every single "SEO" indicator/factor was even across the board, then yes they would, but there are too many variables for that scenario to play out because it is virtually impossible.

In the end though, quality backlinks matter!

Free Roofing Website Design with our Affordable Roofing SEO

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 10-12-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Removed self promoting links.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for sharing your information, it was indeed much help!!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Just checked mine. Da 27 pa 34. What's the difference between da and pa?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
Pro

One is domain one is page. Dont pay any attention to it though.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

JBM answered before me. I was going to say one is a father figure and the other is an idiot.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Pro

I think a few things have changed for local businesses that make us less interested in building our Page Rank aka PA/DA.

Google has blended local with the serps
Social is becoming a larger indicator of trust
Author rank will have some effect at some point, make sure you enable this
Reviews are pushing our local results

A site that gets 50,000 links, pushes a high page rank but has very little social activity would be suspect if I were in the writing google's algo business.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
We Repair Garage Doors

Trade: Garage doors, openers and garage door repair
Rewards Points: 250

hmm, leeson, guess what. I have ranked sites very competitive keywords top of goog with no links, not 1 go figure.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Pro

Can you do it without 301s?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
We Repair Garage Doors

Trade: Garage doors, openers and garage door repair
Rewards Points: 250

never used a 301. If I get in trouble I just start over.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Pro

Some people pick up or build PR on satellite domains and just 301 them to the main site. IF they become toxic just take the 301 down.

Advertisement