Geo Tag Your Website For Extra SEO Juice - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Geo Tag Your Website For Extra SEO Juice

Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Contractor Marketing Services
Rewards Points: 10

Geo Tag Your Website For Extra SEO Juice

If your business is located near the city center, you should consider adding a geo-meta tag to the header in your website. It will help Google and the other mapping software know exactly where you’re located and it will help with your ranking.

Go here first to see if your site is currently geo tagged.

Just type in your website address. If it immediately directs you to a map showing your location, great.

Test Your Site Here

If your site is not geo tagged, click on the link below to get your geo tag meta information and follow the directions on how to add it to your website.

Geo Tag Creator

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 03-05-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mauibob For This Useful Post:
MEL (12-18-2013), Solar Control (09-20-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Re: Geo Tag Your Website For Extra SEO Juice

I try to keep my ear to the ground with the evolving changes in local search. How is geo tagging different then location markup? As seen here you can generate your microdata for your biz, location, phone number

http://www.microdatagenerator.com/lo...ss-generators/

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (03-07-2014)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Contractor Marketing Services

Hi JBM

This looks like a great tool too. The biggest difference I see is that the geotag tool uses latitude and longitude where your tool uses a street address. I don't think you can go wrong using both of them.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Kitchen & Bath Showroom
Rewards Points: 14

Excellent info, thanks!

http://www.southcoastkitchens.com
Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 304

Google's structured data testing tool is also rather straightforward to use. It is in the Webmaster Tools.

It may not be as full featured as the others mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

I've done a little research on this and I've found some websites that have code in the head tag that has the following type of info for each city they work in:

<meta name="ICBM" content="42.56084, -83.20252" />
<meta name="geo.position" content="42.56084;-83.20252" />
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Birmingham - MI" />
<meta name="geo.region" content="US-MI" />

DO you know if this technique is helpful?
JBM (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Pro

I made a list of all the cities I work in, got the address of the city hall and used this tool to get geo tag code. I then copied the list and pasted it into the head section of my website.

If this works it should help me to move up in the search results.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Pro

Ive heard of using it but not in the head code. Would be interesting to see what happens.

I have heard not to mix the schema and the "geo code" (it has a specific name) though. fwiw. Could be per page, dunno.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Pro

How do you geo tag a photo? Would you use this tool and add the code to the Alt tags of the photo?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Pro

Good to know.

Last edited by JBM; 03-06-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

Hi, do you put the Geo Tag on every page in your website, or just the index page? Thanks , Brin
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
New Guy

Hello All,

I forwarded this to my web guys to incorporate into my site updates. Since then we have had a big increase in traffic and sales. Could be due to the geo tag, other updates, or the overall increase in the health of the economy. Either way, I'm very happy. Thanks for the tip!

The Following User Says Thank You to SCKitchens For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (03-05-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCKitchens View Post
Hello All,

I forwarded this to my web guys to incorporate into my site updates. Since then we have had a big increase in traffic and sales. Could be due to the geo tag, other updates, or the overall increase in the health of the economy. Either way, I'm very happy. Thanks for the tip!
You have a nice looking site SCKitchens but I'm wondering how you do with Google searches? I see you have a paid ad on Google but do you not do any organic type of placement for your web site? There just doesn't seem to be much of any content on your site. Just kind of curious as to how your site works for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
New Guy

Hi, my goal was to have a site that is nice and clean so people want to be there, not content rich just for google. My organic visitors now outrank my paid visitors, slightly over 50/50. That number is flipping more and more as I make revisions and its trending toward 70 organic and 30% paid. To answer your content concern, I build content through the blog. Might not be the ideal way but it keeps the site clean

Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCKitchens View Post
Hi, my goal was to have a site that is nice and clean so people want to be there, not content rich just for google.
I would be very careful going down this road. A professional web person could zig zag around this given the experience.

Consider that pages with words on it rank for more words. It is intentional that google will send more traffic to pages with more words.

Some people will build a single page for a single keyword and only have 300-450 words on a page, but their sites could be over 200 pages deep, sometimes 1000 pages-outside of the contractor scene.

A lot of large brand names can get away with almost no content on their home page, but they do have content in their site. A site with no meat and just pictures would be tough to make money off of imo.

I think you will find this quote interesting.

Quote:
Still worried about using long landing pages? Consider the results from an A/B test recently conducted by Neil Patel, VP of Marketing for KISSmetrics.

Patel pitted a page with 1292 words against a page with 488 words and found that the longer page converted 7.6 percent better than the above the fold variety:
https://www.helpscout.net/blog/website-customers-love/

If Patel says it consider it gospel.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

Interesting article, - - especially this part . . .

. . . snip

3. What’s the Best Color for Conversions?
The argument over which color is best for conversions is a silly one.

Red, orange, green—there’s never a consensus. A color’s ability to affect conversions has far more to do with context than the color itself.
 This statement is supported by cognitive research, specifically a phenomenon known as the Von Restorff effect. In layman’s terms, the effect predicts that whatever stands out gets recognized and easily recalled, and what blends in gets ignored.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
JBM (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
Pro

I agree it is fascinating. The color to choose is the one your visitor would respond best to. Back to knowing your customer.

Blue is always a safe bet, shows trust right.

but would it be best for emergency plumbing calls or for a company that does water damage work? I dunno. Might want to pick a color that would convey quick response, fast decision making, brute force results ect.

Changing the color of a "click here for consultation" box could have a drastic effect on conversions. That type of stuff scares me not knowing if it has been tested or not.

1 more reason I will not make my own website that makes me money. It isnt worth the risk to me. 10% drop in conversions is like hundreds of dollars a year for a mason
Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Pro

This calls for a psychological color sniffing app!! (the site adjusts to the viewer's prefs)
JBM (03-08-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #19
Pro

Just my opinion, of course, - - but here's an excellent article that I think you'll enjoy that I think hits real close to home on branding and logos, the complicated psychology of color, and back to my own notion that there are only so many basic colors in the spectrum (don't let them hinder you) . . .

snip . . .

If I quote a popular marketing slogan, "What can brown do for you today?" who am I speaking of? Most people I ask this to state that its owner is UPS. What's marvelous is that they know the identity of the firm by their color—not their name. UPS owns the color brown. You too can own your own color if you choose it strategically instead of psychologically or by picking favorites. Research the colors used by competition in your category and choose colors that are not being used. I analyzed the tool and die industry in the industrial heartland and 74% of them used the color blue. They were essentially following the leader, the rational being, "If they were successful using blue, then we should follow them." All it really does is put your brand in a sea of sameness.

http://smallbizclub.com/component/k2...e-fortune-500s
JBM (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #20
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I would be very careful going down this road. A professional web person could zig zag around this given the experience.

Consider that pages with words on it rank for more words. It is intentional that google will send more traffic to pages with more words.

Some people will build a single page for a single keyword and only have 300-450 words on a page, but their sites could be over 200 pages deep, sometimes 1000 pages-outside of the contractor scene.

A lot of large brand names can get away with almost no content on their home page, but they do have content in their site. A site with no meat and just pictures would be tough to make money off of imo.

I think you will find this quote interesting.

I do have a professional graphic designer and also a group of professional programmers working on my site. The only person to ever recommend more text has been my adwords guy.

I've been very calculated in every aspect of my site design. Content is just one portion that google looks at. You can have all the keyword content jammed into your pages, but it has less value if visitors arrive and leave quickly because they don't want to read. Google loves to read, people, not so much. They will take text in small, concise doses but if you write a novel they will quickly bore.

You have to walk a fine line because you need google for people to find you, but you also want to captivate and hold your audience, show them who you are and what you offer without all the garbage they don't care to see.

My site has done extremely well at bringing in new visitors and translating them into customers. It's not by chance, it's been a careful process over the past 2 years and I'm always improving it. As I type this we are working on revisions that will enhance the site performance even more.

I can surely thank google for some of the ideas I've used on my site though!

Advertisement