Do SEO Yourself: A Simple Weekend Afternoon How-To Guide, - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Do SEO Yourself: A Simple Weekend Afternoon How-To Guide,

Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Trade: Real Estate Developer
Rewards Points: 14

Do SEO Yourself: A Simple Weekend Afternoon How-To Guide,

I've seen a few guys on here talk about SEO for their shops, but nobody seems to be covering exactly how you can do it yourself. It's not hard, and I think anyone with enough time to mow their yard on a weekend day has the time to do this.
Here's a crash course for you guys who want to do it yourselves. Have a pretty free Saturday or Sunday this weekend? You'll have enough time to at least make it to the front page if you already have a decent website.
1. Website page speed.
Go here: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
Type in your website URL. see what you get. If you have a score over 70 you'll be fine. All this does is tell you if Google is going to let you play the game (IE: show up on the front page) If you're below 70 contact your beloved web guy and make him fix it!
2. Keywords:
Do you do roofing? perfect. Make sure it says roofing, and the towns you service (or the county) somewhere on the front page. Let's not get crazy here. We could go down a deep rabbit hole into how to maximize on-page SEO, but for most of you guys out in the hill towns that's not the least bit necessary. Just make sure that you write up a nice paragraph or two about the services you offer.
3. Back Links (Here's where you win!)
Go to www.brightlocal.com and make an account. Click your way through and follow the prompts. Don't worry it doesn't cost anything, and there's no place to put in a credit card. Then click on the "Citation Dashboard" on the right hand side, and take a look at all the places you can just make a business account and be listed. This will pull all of the places you can list your business online. Yelp account, Facebook business, Google business etc. Find out each and everyone one of these using this, and then sit down with your favorite beer ,scotch, etc. and just start filling in the info for your business on each individual site. Yes this takes time. Yes it takes a little work. BUT ITS NOT HARD! (superpro tip: create a new email address for all the awesome spam you will inevitably receive)
Do these few things on a Saturday Afternoon, and get Ranked on the front page on Monday.
Hope some of you see some great results from this!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Do SEO Yourself: A Simple Weekend Afternoon How-To Guide,

This is a great guide for whose who have websites. A good start to check wether your website comply the necessary factor to show on the first page of search engines.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to bentech For This Useful Post:
S0VERE1GN (10-30-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0VERE1GN View Post
I've seen a few guys on here talk about SEO for their shops, but nobody seems to be covering exactly how you can do it yourself. It's not hard, and I think anyone with enough time to mow their yard on a weekend day has the time to do this.
Actually that sounds good in theory, but is further from the truth than you may be expect. No way can a forum post cover exactly how one can do it for themselves since there are just too many variables. Sure, we can throw a random topic out such as Title Tags, and even give a few hints how to do it. But the fact is someone should understand how the Title Tags work in conjunction with the url structure and then in conjunction with the Meta Description.

But then eventually someone may click on the above in a search result, and perhaps someone needs to understand how the Text Content SEO should support the above. And of course you want to ensure the picture SEO is somewhat related. Then we have Anchor Text linking and perhaps Video too (but then we deviate to YouTube).

You are correct that it is not that hard, but it does take some structured education to ensure someone sees all the pieces in a methodical manner to actually implement it correctly. And it can be done by the individual, but many times it is smarter to understand enough to be supportive of the marketing & website companies who master all the details. There are many details that combined can make the topic seem complex or challenging.

Some companies have the time and interest to be able to do so with their own SEO, and many simply do not.

But you were incorrect when you say "Nobody seems to be covering exactly how to do it yourself." It is not a straight forward topic and takes a lot of effort to ensure the person learning sees it from the first observations of learning about search.
aquakbd (01-08-2018)

Old 10-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Trade: Real Estate Developer
Rewards Points: 14

How about this:

Let the readers do the stuff above for $0, and if it doesn't work pay you a couple grand. That way half the work is already done for you!

for 80% of guys out in a hilltown or even a small city this much will get them ranking. Barking up the technobabble tree doesn't help anyone.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Hello sovereign,

I think you are missing the point of what motb was saying. You are going under the assumption that your few suggestions for $0 will make an impact as well as assuming people easily understand what to do first, second and third. You are correct that website speed is important, but it definitely is not the first thing to think about when considering all the other items one should learn.

It is not the money, but rather the lost time in marketing that is far more important than spending some money to learn. I am guilty of that and am now in the process of organizing myself to do it right. My site is https://badencontracting.com/ and it evolved by having so many random ideas without a structured approach. So we took the first class (called Basic) for just a few hundred dollars and then learned a lot of the main topics. We then took the next class (called Advance) for another few hundred dollars more. I say this since you indicated a much larger number and it may scare a novice away such as myself. We did also spend some more to form a Marketing Plan specific for our company which is really a separate issue, but one that could be mixed with whatever numbers you were referring to in your comments.

But my warning to other people is to ensure you really have a plan and decide how best to implement since a lot of the free advice can guide someone into too many directions.

The problem is you will unfortunately need to wait many months to possibly a year to know whether it was worth it or not. Sometimes paying for the focused advice is worth so much more. These classes seem to have been refined by hundreds of contractors deciding what was most important to learn, then the next item and the next item, etc. Having a structured approach can really help out in the long run.

Another example is your second reference to Key Words, and I agree that is important. You do need the keywords inside the actual page, but you too missed the importance of having the words in the Title Tag. So your Free Advice is correct, but me understanding the details of what is extremely important to make my page indexed for search is worth a few dollars.

It may be hard to tell, but I am not being confrontational, just realistic from past experience and would enjoy someone else not making the mistakes we made doing the same thing. I do look at all this free advice but have become frustrated that it is worth to have a vested commitment to something so critical to our business.

Corey
Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,220

Its a basic fundemental start for sure...
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
coreybaden (11-02-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Hi JBM,

You are correct but just one mistake … It is a “fundamental” start for sure. I am learning to be careful with the spelling, especially with the Title Tags. I notice so many typos in the Title Tags of other websites I glance at. Never even knew or cared about it in the past. See, I did learn.

Corey
Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybaden View Post
Hi JBM,

You are correct but just one mistake … It is a “fundamental” start for sure. I am learning to be careful with the spelling, especially with the Title Tags. I notice so many typos in the Title Tags of other websites I glance at. Never even knew or cared about it in the past. See, I did learn.

Corey
I gave him a compliment on an article with almost no value to it.

Like saying, frame a house with 2x6 16" on center, use shingles to keep the rain out.

/derp
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

Trade: Handyman & Light Remodeling
Rewards Points: 334

Hi folks,

I’m new to the forum and this topic looked interesting. A couple years ago I started a handyman & light remodeling business on the side (my day job is electrical engineering). This year I decided to begin taking my business more seriously.

I’ve spent the past several months learning how to build a website, and recently finished my first draft. The site was good enough to publish, but by no means perfect. I chose to do it myself because I’m somewhat tech-savvy and I enjoy learning.

In the process, I learned two big lessons. First, building a professional-looking website that looks good to the reader is one thing – getting it found by a search engine is another! Second, these two topics are so related that you really can’t separate them. If you try to do one first and then “add in” the other, you’ll have a lot of stuff to fix, re-do, etc.

I realized that although I thought my website was ready to publish (because it looked nice), there were SEO issues I hadn’t even considered. I simply wasn’t aware of them. Duplicate content, lack of a focused keyword strategy, internal links, H1 headings, anchor text, etc. – the list goes on and on. And the more I researched, the more confusing things became.

I decided to get some help to fix my SEO issues. I don’t regret the time I invested in learning – it’s who I am and it’s part of how I’m “wired”. I’m just saying it made me realize the value of getting some help from people who live and breathe the stuff.

So the next few months will be about me fixing my SEO problems, but with a very clear long-term strategy – and I’m excited about that.

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by svankirk View Post
Hi folks,

I’m new to the forum and this topic looked interesting. A couple years ago I started a handyman & light remodeling business on the side (my day job is electrical engineering). This year I decided to begin taking my business more seriously.

I’ve spent the past several months learning how to build a website, and recently finished my first draft. The site was good enough to publish, but by no means perfect. I chose to do it myself because I’m somewhat tech-savvy and I enjoy learning.

In the process, I learned two big lessons. First, building a professional-looking website that looks good to the reader is one thing – getting it found by a search engine is another! Second, these two topics are so related that you really can’t separate them. If you try to do one first and then “add in” the other, you’ll have a lot of stuff to fix, re-do, etc.

I realized that although I thought my website was ready to publish (because it looked nice), there were SEO issues I hadn’t even considered. I simply wasn’t aware of them. Duplicate content, lack of a focused keyword strategy, internal links, H1 headings, anchor text, etc. – the list goes on and on. And the more I researched, the more confusing things became.

I decided to get some help to fix my SEO issues. I don’t regret the time I invested in learning – it’s who I am and it’s part of how I’m “wired”. I’m just saying it made me realize the value of getting some help from people who live and breathe the stuff.

So the next few months will be about me fixing my SEO problems, but with a very clear long-term strategy – and I’m excited about that.

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Welcome to CT, Steve, from another Steve.

And yep, there are reasons some of us can earn our living and breathing building web sites. Making it look good is easier than ever but as another thread of mine points out, the easy to use tools have hidden dangers. The more users friendly, the more hidden pitfalls.

It's good you are now more educated. SEO can be a snake pit to navigate and a bit of insight can help you avoid a lot of wasted money. Some of those SEO hawking snake oil sellers have big names like the ones who used to sell phone book ads but have taken to SEO as a new cash cow.

I've avoided participation in this thread until now but it is worth pointing out the next step since you're on that journey. You get the professional look taken care of, then get the SEO so you're getting traffic, then what? You need conversions. This is where the majority still fail. The mistakes are many but one of the leading problems is a continuation of what you've already experienced. What you don't know just keeps hurting you.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
http://penncoatinc.com/

Trade: Painting / Epoxy Flooring / Polished Concrete
Rewards Points: 706

This is a very very very very watered down approach.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Welcome to CT, Steve, from another Steve.
Hey, Steve - thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to seeing what I can learn here. And of course, taking things one step at a time on my journey...

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svankirk View Post
Looking forward to seeing what I can learn here. And of course, taking things one step at a time on my journey...
By the way, although I still plan on doing a lot of the work on my own, I did speak with MOTB. I decided to get some education and also some help with my strategy planning. I purchased the classes and had them create a marketing plan, too.

There's a lot of work ahead, but at least I know what to do (i.e. the steps are clear). Plus, it doesn't have to be done yesterday - I can just keep chipping away at it.

I mean no offense to anyone, but outside of a few folks in just the right situation, SEO & getting to Page 1 of a search is definitely not a simple weekend event.

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #14

Trade: Digital Marketing For Local Businesses
Rewards Points: 30

Been a long time since I have posted in here.

Hope everyone is doing great.

What S0VERE1GN is just a tip of an iceberg.

Why?

1) Page speed at 70% and you are okay? Yes, if no competitor has it at 71%
2) Keyword research = service + location "somewhere on the first page" and you are good to go? Not gonna happen. If you cover multiple locations, not to mention if you provide more than one service, you will have to properly structure your website.
And what about the long term keywords?
3) Building more citations than a competitor and ending up in the 3-pack (first 3 results in maps) might have worked 2 years ago, but that's long gone now.

In SEO world things change rapidly. Yes, if you know what you are doing, and you are keeping the pace with changes it's relatively easy. But if you act on hear say, you are in trouble.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 AM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Accounting
Rewards Points: 18

This is really a great guide. Thanks for sharing it here.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReynolds View Post
This is really a great guide. Thanks for sharing it here.
The guide has no value to it, its only superficial info.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
Been a long time since I have posted in here.

Hope everyone is doing great.

What S0VERE1GN is just a tip of an iceberg.

Why?

1) Page speed at 70% and you are okay? Yes, if no competitor has it at 71%
2) Keyword research = service + location "somewhere on the first page" and you are good to go? Not gonna happen. If you cover multiple locations, not to mention if you provide more than one service, you will have to properly structure your website.
And what about the long term keywords?
3) Building more citations than a competitor and ending up in the 3-pack (first 3 results in maps) might have worked 2 years ago, but that's long gone now.

In SEO world things change rapidly. Yes, if you know what you are doing, and you are keeping the pace with changes it's relatively easy. But if you act on hear say, you are in trouble.
Right on, you either eat this stuff day in and day out or you should hire someone who does.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 528

Don't forget about optimizing your website for mobile. This is going to be one of the most important SEO requirements this year, but I think it already is for a while now. And actually, I think it is really hard summarizing SEO techniques like this because SEO is an endless job of constantly improving, staying up-to-date, learning, and perfecting your efforts.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #19
Kitchen Cabinets and Tile

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets, Countertops, Tile
Rewards Points: 80

I leave all SEO activities to the marketing agency we hired a while back. I try to steal some tricks from them from time to time and they are happy to teach me, but I realized that I simply cannot do a good SEO if I don't continuously dedicate myself to learning and practicing. It's true, you can do some SEO, but if you want to do it right, you have to leave it to the professionals.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeArt View Post
I leave all SEO activities to the marketing agency we hired a while back. I try to steal some tricks from them from time to time and they are happy to teach me, but I realized that I simply cannot do a good SEO if I don't continuously dedicate myself to learning and practicing. It's true, you can do some SEO, but if you want to do it right, you have to leave it to the professionals.
You do have a nice site, but here is something you can do to teach them to show you are learning too. Your site has a great start, but it seems they may have slowed down on the marketing details after you put it together and grew.

For example, you have a lot of good categories, such as Back Wall Kits. The summary page is done well, but then all the detailed pages lost their marketing punch.

Then when you go to the details of QWALL-3, everything is done using the codes of the product as opposed to having some form of reference to Back Wall Kits. The pages themselves are nice, but the marketing effort for the title tags, the alt tags, etc., all seemed to fizzle out as the site began to grow.

Since the structure clearly is designed to benefit Back Wall Kits, then the detailed pages should emphasize Back Wall Kits QWALL-3 as opposed to just QWALL-3. Very nice structure otherwise.

Advertisement