Adding Blog To Web Site - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Adding Blog To Web Site

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

Adding Blog To Web Site

Hopefully one of the web site gurus can answer this. When I built my site, Wordpress, I turned off some of the typical blog style formatting so my site would look more like a regular web site. I created a blog on blogspot.com for a blog but many have suggested that I probably should have the blog actually on my site and not somewhere else. My question is, how can I create just one page in a Wordpress blog format on my site without it changing the entire site?

Hopefully that question makes sense.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 564

Re: Adding Blog To Web Site

Quote:
My question is, how can I create just one page in a Wordpress blog format on
my site without it changing the entire site?
Depending on your theme you might see some different options.

1. Click POSTS ---> Create a new category.

2. Add Category to menu --->Appearance ----> Custom Menus. Drag and Drop the category into it's menu position.

3. Post Editor - Right hand side you should see an option with check boxes asking you to select your categories for the post.

4. Choose your category and hit save/update. The post will automatically be added to the blog page.

You may have some different options in your theme, but this is one way to do what you're asking.

If you have lots of content on blogspot there is a plugin that will allow you to import it into Wordpress.

Carl

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post

2. Add Category to menu --->Appearance ----> Custom Menus. Drag and Drop the category into it's menu position.

3. Post Editor - Right hand side you should see an option with check boxes asking you to select your categories for the post.

4. Choose your category and hit save/update. The post will automatically be added to the blog page.

You may have some different options in your theme, but this is one way to do what you're asking.

If you have lots of content on blogspot there is a plugin that will allow you to import it into Wordpress.

Carl
Carl... How would you go about keeping a blog page from outranking your landing pages?

My guess would be that if you put a link to the landing page on each post that is focused on that landing pages keywords. It would eventually have so many outbound links that it would not rank well and still give credit to the different landing pages. Am I thinking right here?
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post

Carl
Thanks Carl!

I followed your directions and I am sort of there. When I click on the menu, Blog, I go to the page that was created. However two things, the page has "Category Archives:Blog" and when I added some text it obviously shortens it with a link that says "Continue Reading" but when I click on it, it takes me to my main/Home page.

I'll keep playing around with it but I am not sure why it's doing both of these things.

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS0303 View Post
Thanks Carl!

I followed your directions and I am sort of there. When I click on the menu, Blog, I go to the page that was created. However two things, the page has "Category Archives:Blog" and when I added some text it obviously shortens it with a link that says "Continue Reading" but when I click on it, it takes me to my main/Home page.

I'll keep playing around with it but I am not sure why it's doing both of these things.

Thanks again.
I have it all figured out and working.

Thanks again Carl for your helpful pointers!