Wow Service Magic... Very Important Read - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Wow Service Magic... Very Important Read

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

Wow Service Magic... Very Important Read

Here's a friendly update for everyone in case you are unaware.

With Service Magic's "exact match" program (I believe that is the one), they set up local listings for your company all over the internet on directories and yellow page websites.

That may be OK with you, and it may not. I have a SUPER problem with it for two reasons.

First, it's hidden in their agreement that they can do it, and not truly presented as something they are going to do. Kinda sleazy honestly.

Secondly, and more important for me, is for any company that puts effort into branding their name to their market. The problem here is that if a customer goes to one of these sites and searches for your name (because of your efforts to make your name known), they see a listing that is created by Service Magic. When the call comes in or a lead is generated, you are paying Service magic for that lead. In other words, they are using your own branding and recognition to capture a lead that was coming to you anyway, and charging you for it.

Wow, huh?

However, this post isn't about that. It's a note to everyone who stops this program with Service Magic. I canceled the option about 6 weeks ago and was told they would take the listings down, and it takes about a month or so for everything to be updated. That's fine, and I understand.

So this morning, I went to some of the directories to verify the listings we're taken down. They were not.

Instead, the listing now says that "While the Pro you are looking for is no longer accessible from this page, ServiceMagic can match your project to top-rated pros".

Then, they have links to the categories we are in, which leads the customer to submit a lead. A lead that may have been looking for you, but now is going to your competition!

Talk about hijacking.

I have a call set up with our account manager today (originally to review ways we can do more with them). That call is obviously changing to this major concern I have. It likely will be a deal-ender for us and Service Magic. We've been with them since 2001, and spend about $4-5K per month with them on leads.

So, a heads up to everyone else. If you've cancelled the agreement to keep them from advertising your name in these directories, do a double check. See if the listings are still up and they are driving leads to your competition like I'm seeing now.

Then, do something about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamionR For This Useful Post:
DavidC (09-30-2011), dprimc (08-11-2011), festerized (08-01-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Wow Service Magic... Very Important Read

FYI - here's a screenshot of what the listing now says.

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Does this apply?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortious_interference
Anything good in here?
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

To fix the root cause, see below
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by GettingBy; 08-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Pro

Update. My account rep (who is a very nice lady BTW) explained that they did cancel the page they created for my listing, but the listings themselves were never removed. She put that process into place, and expected to see everything removed within 1-2 weeks. We did schedule a follow-up check-in to make sure that was the case.

Hopefully, it is the case and it's not a runaround. I could swear I read another post on here about someone getting the same storiy but never being able to get the listings removed.

I'll update when I learn more.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

How do they not get sued over this? It's got to be because contractors are as stupid as dirt or something? How can this company keep doing this over and over again for years and years and there are never any consequences? No lawyer wants to retire off a class action suit against them? They have been doing this forever, and there are cases that have established case law against this sort of thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
J F (08-01-2011), Max10 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Damion, did I read you right , You have been paying them 4 / 5 Thousand $ a month ????

If so, Man SM must have made you a bundle all those years that's a big chunk of change.

Just saying thats all. Those guy's keep calling / e-mail but just from the come on I figured them for strong on the take side and mild on the delivery but if they were worth it for that amount of time I must have been wrong.

Just as a side note an A + rating on www.angieslist.com has paid off for me big time. I mention to all my Wallets to get on and rate me and a lot of them do.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Ghesss I am new to this area but drifting around I can see Angies List gets a lot of trouble. Sorry Guys

No hijack intended. John
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Pro

thanks for the reply John.

For the construction company I work with, Servicemagic does work. The company is super agressive marketing-wise (invests about $120K per month), so service magic isn't a HUGE part of the budget, but it certainly is a fair share.

From my experience, the lead quality isn't the greatest (neither will any outside service that generates leads for you. It is, however, on par with any other outside company I've worked with). However, with the price range of the leads, and the systematic approach the company has to working the leads - it turns out to be profitable.

I'd say on average, we sell between $80-100K per month from their leads. So it puts us at about a 5% marketing costs. Very acceptable for this business.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds
Rewards Points: 500

We've been using Service magic for years....Went through the same exact problem with them....Took months for them to "break the links"...

This issue has been discussed numerous times in past posts, but the bottom line--DONT USE THE "EXACT MATCH" program.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Don't go near service magic! They are criminals! Build your own reputation. If you play with a turd, you are going to get sh17 on your hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doubleoh7 For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (11-16-2011), Splinter hands (11-16-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Pro

A rep from sm contacted me (due to this post and a blog post on my website) to expedite the resolution. Expectation is to have the links removed in 1-2 weeks. Ill keep everyone posted on results. The rep seemed concerned enough about solving the problem. Lets hope she's able to deliver on the promises!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleoh7 View Post
Don't go near service magic! They are criminals! Build your own reputation. If you play with a turd, you are going to get sh17 on your hands.

We've been playing the service magic game for a few years.

Sure, there's been a few hiccups along the way, but if worked properly, and worked aggressively, it can be effective.

In fact, just landed another job from them this week,....$46k worth--AND MY HANDS DON'T STINK!!

If it doesn't work for you, dont use it.

It's really that simple.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

The issue with companies like Service Magic is the leads are usually not exclusive. Many times they are resold to at least 3 of your competitors.

Also, the quality is sometimes questionable and they don't always do much for building your brand name online.

I'm a search engine marketing (SEM) consultant that builds custom online lead generation campaigns for service professionals. What separates my services from the typical lead provider is:

• - To start, I'm a SEM consultant that uses Paid Search/PPC to generate high quality Email & Phone leads.
  • - Leads are exclusive for your niche & area (once an area is filled, it's no longer available because we don't compete against our clients)
  • - We can drive traffic directly to your website or one of our websites branded the name of your company (This depends on the design quality & layout structure of your current website).
  • - You only pay for conversions/Leads (Performance Based Search Marketing ) We don't get paid unless we deliver.

We analyze each project separately and build out campaigns based on the requirements. The means that the ramp-up time varies and has to be approximated on a per project basis.

Last edited by LeadBuilders; 08-11-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: No self promotion allowed
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Pro

LeadBuilders - word of advice. Be careful on the self promoting posts. People here pick up on quickly and you lose a lot of credibility. You develop a "brand" for being a taker who doesn't give anything back.

Believe it or not, I've found the authority you build and trust you build by freely providing good info without the self-promotion drives a lot more inquiries to your service than anything else you can post on here.

Best wishes!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #15

Trade: General Contractor

Service magic has been calling me to Join. This extremely pushy guy named Richard. Must be their "salesman"

I dont know anything about SM so I asked here . My thread was closed by the moderator, telling me to "do a search because its been discussed, discussed, discussed, discussed.... "

From reading the threads here of Contractors asking and responding about Service Magic I conclude that Service Magic is a Rip Off and a Fruad.

Do you all Agree?

Rick

PS
Quote:
Well Said

Last edited by GSP7; 09-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GSP7 For This Useful Post:
festerized (09-30-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #16
Exterior Window Trim

Trade: Window Trim

Decent mixture of good and bad reviews about servicemagic here. I'm always interested in hearing more about companies that successfully work with them, simply because they do seem to be a very large potential market.

Damion, can you provide a bit more information on what the clients' process is when dealing with SM leads?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Pro

Here - take a look at this page. Its' an article I posted that explains the 8 tips I recommend and have been implemented to make third party leads work.

http://www.contractor-marketing-tips.com/about/sample-tips/
Old 10-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
How do they not get sued over this? It's got to be because contractors are as stupid as dirt or something? How can this company keep doing this over and over again for years and years and there are never any consequences? No lawyer wants to retire off a class action suit against them? They have been doing this forever, and there are cases that have established case law against this sort of thing.
Finely has new life!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
Finely has new life!
Check the date... sorry
Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech

Check the date... sorry
I know, I was just bringing him from the dead. Some other forum is now benefiting from his banter.

Advertisement