What Do You Guys Use To Get Leads? - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

What Do You Guys Use To Get Leads?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Trade: General Construction (starting)
Rewards Points: 10

What Do You Guys Use To Get Leads?

there are so many different websites for leads, which one is the most popular and gives you leads instead of taking your money for nothing.

Last edited by sam2424; 10-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,710

Re: What Do You Guys Use To Get Leads?

I provide good service for a good price and find I don't need to pay for leads.

Advertisement

cwatbay (07-23-2014), dprimc (04-05-2019), Golden view (07-01-2018), I Mester (10-22-2012), Inner10 (10-24-2012), iTrustPRO (05-24-2019), Jaws (02-03-2014), KAP (07-01-2018), pinwheel (10-22-2012), Tech Dawg (10-22-2012), tedanderson (03-17-2014)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

whats your secret? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
whats your secret? lol
I provide good service for a good price.
dprimc (10-24-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Word of mouth. Or maybe it is dumb luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

You're right
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Fair price, and good work has worked for us for 26 yrs. never ran an ad in a paper or paid for a lead. even through the rough times.
good word of mouth goes a long way.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I provide good service for a good price and find I don't need to pay for leads.
Worded better than I was going say it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Secore Construction

Trade: nail bender
Rewards Points: 162

Good work, good price and the most important show up on time and do what you say your going to do. And you will have all the work you want. That's what I was told 28 years ago.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

thanks for the info, my main problem is actually finding work, i don't know where to start and promote my business.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Get yourself a website. We get plenty of online leads without using the lead sellers.

For more immediate results try canvassing around the neighborhood you're working in. Keep digging through the marketing threads here for more ideas.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #12

Trade: All exterior components

Try some trade shows to drum up local business. We get lots out of phone books too believe it or not.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #13

thanks! what do you guys think about these online lead providing companies? (renovation experts, yodle, bidclerk etc...)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

Quote:
thanks! what do you guys think about these online lead providing companies? (renovation experts, yodle, bidclerk etc...)

I would do a search on CT for the numerous threads concerning: angie's list, service magic, yodle, BBB, and all the other "lead generating" services out there that you can pay for. The vast majority of the time............you will be wasting what little money you have.

Your questions lead me to believe that you are starting a business without having a business background, or, doing a lot of research yourself (without asking everyone else what to do).

I don't do any advertising. I have an old website that I haven't touched for years. I have tried a few lead generating companies and have lost money. I have paid a "professional" marketing guy that ripped me off for a lot of money ( I sued him ), and, I have been a member of chambers of commerce, networking group, professional trade groups, etc.............all of which produced sales that wouldn't pay for one dinner at Sizzler.

What has worked for me ( at least ) is: keeping in contract with former clients, relationships with other contractors, having business cards on hand, plus advertising on the vehicles. I have four contractors both in state and out of state that send me a steady stream of business weekly. That is what works for me. And it only took 10 years to get to his point.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Cedar Springs (01-02-2013), DaleHenning (01-20-2014), DavidC (10-24-2012), QualityContract (05-13-2014)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
DavidC

Quote:
Reading through this thread, your questions and the answers you're getting tell me that you are hoping to get a positive review of that magic bullet which brings in the business.

There is a reason you are not being flooded with those responses. Search as cwatbay suggested and you'll learn why. Maybe pick up and idea or two.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #16

will do! thanks for the help
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Having your own website and driving traffic to that is probably your best source of quality leads. But you may consider looking into lead sources like ServiceMagic ( Now HomeAdvisor ), Reliable Remodeler, QuinStreet, and others, but you will see for yourself there of both postives, and negatives of using a lead service.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
DavidC

Cabinetsnj, you ought to edit out either the first sentence or the rest. It's contradictory to run a website and use an LGS. Better to just stick with your own website in most cases, IMO.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #19

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 27

I have tried using the lead services. Waste of $, especially for a GC. Trades pay less and people are usually ready to go if they only need one trade. If they need a GC then they are much less likely to sign and the leads are much more expensive. Get a web site and promote that.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Kitchen Customizer

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 310

Doing good work and conducting yourself and buisness in a professionall manner goes without saying- thats a no-brainer!

yodle, yelp, HA, angies list, and everything else like them have their place when they are used the right way for certain service providers, but as for me, I think they are useless and will actually inhibit the growth of a starting out buisness. Read carefully the terms of service and what-not because many of these companies take the rights to all your internet presence and charge you for leads whether they are good or not. Some are "free", but you show up at the bottom of search results unless you pay.

The best thing you can do to generate business is to get involved with your community. Online networking is nice, but people with a lot of money to throw around do not spend a lot of time reading newspapers and surfing the internet. Do some real-life networking. Shake hands, kiss babies, carry groceries and make aquaintences!

Whether it is Church, Chamber of Commerce, local benefits and charities, clubs, groups, whatever it is, get involved. Also, do your spending locally, and get to know your local merchants. People tend to reciprocate buisness. Meet new people and tell everyone what you do and what your goals are.

That (IMO) is why some people don't have to advertise- they know people. For some, this comes naturally, for others it takes a concerted effort. I am with the latter.

..........Also, use every free form of advertisement you can find. Start a facebook fan page, use local online free classifieds (idk if nextech classified are in your area, but thats what I use) twitter, etc.

Put a sign in your OWN yard, go door to door, give incentives for refferals, there are so many things you can do without spending a dime. Get creative.

If you have a little $ to sink into it, conventional advertising (truck lettering, classifieds, newspapers, Website, business cards, Radio, Television, web ads) is something you should definetly add if you want your business to get bigger and reach farther.

Also, tracking your efforts and their lead generation and focusing on the best ones will turn your marketing campaign into a well oiled machine.

That will get you far. Its not one thing that draws business- there is no one stop easy answer or website that will do it all for you. It is a combination of all your resources used in a focused manner that will bring you leads.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryanshull For This Useful Post:
Fender (09-03-2013), mickeythebricky (12-20-2014), uzairc (04-30-2013)

Tags
paul codling , reed construction data