PSA: HomeAdvisor And Angie's List Are Separate Companies! - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

PSA: HomeAdvisor And Angie's List Are Separate Companies!

Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Trade: Advertising & Marketing
Rewards Points: 28

PSA: HomeAdvisor And Angie's List Are Separate Companies!

https://www.indystar.com/story/money...iac/101175400/

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/0...merger-growth/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ut-500-million

Here are several articles to help.

IAC, the parent corp, owns a lot of companies. They just split off Match Group, which owned match.com, Tinder, and OkCupid. They own Vimeo and Care.com. They created ANGI HomeServices to house all their Home Services groups - HomeAdvisor, Angie's List, Handy, and CraftJack. All companies under the umbrella are separate, and operate independently with their own CEOs and structures - they cannot be combined, because their service offerings are too different.

At most what you'll see is that sometimes if you buy leads from HomeAdvisor you'll get one tagged as Angie's List - this means someone came to Angie's List first for their project, went through the Service Request path, and didn't make a selection of an Angie's List advertiser for 30 minutes. It gets sent to HA as a lead since they didn't contact anyone. On Angie's List, you may get a Quote Request from Home Advisor - this means they saw you as an Angie's List Certified Pro, and selected to ask you to send them a quote directly.

HomeAdvisor has an annual fee around $300 to be listed and is a month-to-month service that lets you buy leads for whatever their pre-determined rate is in your category. It is potentially also sold to up to 4 other companies, unless it's an Opportunity or Perfect Lead, which costs you more. You can only receive credits if you ask, and under certain circumstances. Not winning the job or not getting the homeowner on the phone is never a reason they will credit you.

Angie's List has no annual fee and you can be listed for free with at least 1 verified review. 7% of the global traffic goes to these free pages. Advertising varies based on contact amount you want and your market/category but is always flat rate paid monthly, quarterly, or annually. The agreement is 12 months with a 35% ETF on the remainder if you cancel early.

Hope this helps clarify. I can answer questions if people have them. No marketing option is perfect, find the thing that works best for you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 40,402

Re: PSA: HomeAdvisor And Angie's List Are Separate Companies!

Seen a couple of posts from you "informing" others regarding AL/HA/etc.

Being that you seem to work for Angie's list (you list your website in your profile as such), is there a reason why you seem to take such offense to being compared to similar companies under the same corporate umbrella?

When companies buy other companies, they usually inculcate the purchased company with their corporate culture... I don't see a difference here as their goal is to extract money from small businesses for their big business whether there are results or not...

Think Google/YouTube as one example...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 07-14-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 312

The funny things about these sights is that they are actually worse for the contractor and the home owner. A real life recommendation for a good local contractor will always be a great path forward for everyone. The middle man is just muddying the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,492

Iíve made a chit load of Money using Angieís and HA. My website gets me all the leads I could ever need right now. Too many actually. I keep HA leads turned off at all times and prob not renewing my yearly with Angieís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
KAP (07-14-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Seen a couple of posts from you "informing" others regarding AL/HA/etc.

Being that you seem to work for Angie's list (you list your website in your profile as such), is there a reason why you seem to take such offense to being compared to similar companies under the same corporate umbrella?

When companies buy other companies, they usually inculcate the purchased company with their corporate culture... I don't see a difference here as their goal is to extract money from small businesses for their big business whether there are results or not...

Think Google/YouTube as one example...
I mostly just hate to see people being misinformed by someone who thinks they know. I do work for AL, and I help people all day realize their dreams - it sounds cheesey, but I have helped people turn their entire lives around from small, easy steps. I don't personally know anyone who works at Home Advisor, though I have a colleague on my team who used to, and our managers are filled in on the operations on both sides.

A lot of companies have been successful on both sides with Al and HA - as long as you know what you're doing, you can pull ROI out of any marketing option. But it's a 2 way street, it doesn't just magically make you rich, you have to do your part.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hartmann View Post
The funny things about these sights is that they are actually worse for the contractor and the home owner. A real life recommendation for a good local contractor will always be a great path forward for everyone. The middle man is just muddying the process.
That's a really broad generalization Ed. I've helped a lot of companies, both brand new and 25+ years established help themselves. Coke is #1 but they still advertise! Word of Mouth is absolutely hands down the best way to get new work, no questions. But if you don't have it, you have to start somewhere. If I just moved to your area, how would I find you? Don't assume everyone has the same reputation and resources you do.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Iíve made a chit load of Money using Angieís and HA. My website gets me all the leads I could ever need right now. Too many actually. I keep HA leads turned off at all times and prob not renewing my yearly with Angieís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome!! I'm glad you've graduated, and you know AL will be there for you if times get rough again
Old 07-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,434

Morgan,
I know you are new here, so my suggestion is to tread lightly as a sales rep for a Lead Gen company. Over the years so many come and go. A new one shows up searching for leads, then they are replaced with someone else. Being in the marketing industry for many years, I rarely see someone survive here in defense of the business model. Yes, there will be some who are successful, and usually there will be a handful per territory to bait hundreds more to "give it a try". Here is a just a recent example among the many that would need explaining. Keep in mind, this is not me, but rather hundreds that experience that down side of the lead gen industry. Welcome to the forum.
MOTB

https://abc30.com/homeadvisor-fraud-...gates/5928797/

https://www.ebiinc.com/resources/blo...ary-bans-video
Old 07-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganBrown84 View Post
That's a really broad generalization Ed. I've helped a lot of companies, both brand new and 25+ years established help themselves. Coke is #1 but they still advertise! Word of Mouth is absolutely hands down the best way to get new work, no questions. But if you don't have it, you have to start somewhere. If I just moved to your area, how would I find you? Don't assume everyone has the same reputation and resources you do.
At least your are diplomatic. More than I can say for some of the lead generating agents that call me. You will do well. There is a place for advertising on lead generating sights. My greater point is that as more avenues to advertise emerge, it really doesn't serve the client or the contractor particularly well. That doesn't mean that no contractor has done well on the sights. Just that the continuing additional complexity is not solving a problem so much as carving out market share.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Morgan,
I know you are new here, so my suggestion is to tread lightly as a sales rep for a Lead Gen company. Over the years so many come and go. A new one shows up searching for leads, then they are replaced with someone else. Being in the marketing industry for many years, I rarely see someone survive here in defense of the business model. Yes, there will be some who are successful, and usually there will be a handful per territory to bait hundreds more to "give it a try". Here is a just a recent example among the many that would need explaining. Keep in mind, this is not me, but rather hundreds that experience that down side of the lead gen industry. Welcome to the forum.
MOTB

https://abc30.com/homeadvisor-fraud-...gates/5928797/

https://www.ebiinc.com/resources/blo...ary-bans-video
Thanks for the info and the welcome. Angie's List has been around 25 years and was the first company to start with web advertising in home services, so I am familiar with what you mean when you say new competition pops up all the time. It's true in any industry, and it should be - no competition makes people lazy, and marketing is no exception. I fight for my clients and I make sure they renew with us every year because I only set up GOOD campaigns - I wish I could say the same for every colleague I have, but I'm not in charge around here. I just happen to be the #1 rep in the company right now, and it affords me the ability to prospect outside my usual territory, in places like this.

Also nearly any company the size of AL or HA has been sued by now, that's not really new. A lot of people jump in without understanding what they want or need, and assume we are just some full service marketing department ready to just deposit money into their bank account. That's not how any advertising works and we all know it.

To answer Ed's reply, I prefer not to tear other people down. There is no right answer when it comes to marketing or lead generation - whether it's you out there knocking on doors or putting up yard signs or a billboard or a TV ad or an online ad - they are all designed to bring you a Return on the Investment, and put a customer in your books. No company is above marketing, and the smart ones are humble about it and make sure they keep putting something into it so they don't suddenly drop out when things like COVID happen.

My .02
Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
Pro

You mentioned you're their #1 rep right now, which certainly comes across in your posts... just curious, how long have you been with them?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
You mentioned you're their #1 rep right now, which certainly comes across in your posts... just curious, how long have you been with them?
About 10 months now. I came from working in the construction industry, and I've worked doing remodel/flips, landscaping, and commercial projects. I've also done sales for many years so this has been fairly natural for me.
KAP (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganBrown84 View Post
About 10 months now. I came from working in the construction industry, and I've worked doing remodel/flips, landscaping, and commercial projects. I've also done sales for many years so this has been fairly natural for me.
10 months to #1... good for you...
Old 07-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,996

"Not winning the job or not getting the homeowner on the phone is never a reason they will credit you."

Yeah, and if the scumbags at Home Advisor charge you for a lead as a pool contractor and you're only signed up for roofing, if they can't get the lead on the phone and verify, they're charging your credit card anyway.

I told them if they charged me for leads I was not signed up for I would terminate our successful 12 1/2 year relationship as that is stealing. They didn't; I did. A$$holes.

Oh, and these pricks own all your testimonial reviews. So I didn't quit them, I just signed up for Fung Shui consulting in one zip code. Just got a lead too. Eh, $25.00 every three years isn't so bad to keep access to my reviews.

Last edited by Kowboy; 07-17-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #15
Sr. Solutions Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
"Not winning the job or not getting the homeowner on the phone is never a reason they will credit you."

Yeah, and if the scumbags at Home Advisor charge you for a lead as a pool contractor and you're only signed up for roofing, if they can't get the lead on the phone and verify, they're charging your credit card anyway.

I told them if they charged me for leads I was not signed up for I would terminate our successful 12 1/2 year relationship as that is stealing. They didn't; I did. A$$holes.

Oh, and these pricks own all your testimonial reviews. So I didn't quit them, I just signed up for Fung Shui consulting in one zip code. Just got a lead too. Eh, $25.00 every three years isn't so bad to keep access to my reviews.
Sneaky but I love it! I always tell people, it's worth the $280 just to be in their listing, even if you never buy a lead. It's just like making sure you're in every yellow pages. Be listed. It can't hurt you unless you do crappy work.

Advertisement