My Experience Using Service Magic/Fraud - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

My Experience Using Service Magic/Fraud

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

My Experience Using Service Magic/Fraud

After reading all of the varying posts in this forum, about their service, I decided to test SM out, because all markets are different, and I'm always looking for new ways to advertise. Here are my results.

Time using service: 48 days
Radius area: 15 miles around Staten Island NY
Category of Leads: Wood Floor Installation, Repair, Sanding and Finishing
Total number of leads:32
Total number of clients talked to:4
Total number of appointments:3
Total number of leads closed:0

When speaking with the SM salesperson on the original sales call, I was promised the lead would be given out to myself, and 2 other contractors.

The SM salesperson told me about a instant text messaging, and email service they provide. All leads as soon as SM would receive them would instantly be forwarded to me. He assured me that all contractors who were sucessfull in their program called that lead right away (While the lead was hot).

The instant text messaging, and emails started coming through after signup. Guess what happened?
We were only able to speak with four of those people, and one of them told me "GO EFF MYSELF... STOP CALLING"
Apparently he was getting harassed by 8-10 different contractors looking to bid his project.....

All leads were called instantly by me after receiving the customer info just like the SM rep explained. My office would then follow up for 14 days through phone calls, and emails. FOUR PEOPLE??... THE SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!
The Following User Says Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
krist (03-18-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: All Trades
Rewards Points: 75

Re: My Experience Using Service Magic/Fraud

Hi John -

I am concerned with your experience with us and couldn't find a recent account with this information on it. I reviewed your old account and it looks like it had 21 leads on it back in 2010.

I would like to discuss your account, leads and concerns. Is there a good time I could follow up with you?

Thank you,

Mandy Black

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

If you search this site for Service Magic you will find others with similar experience.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Trade: Residential contractor

Same problem here. I was with SM a couple of years ago and had the same experience. I do believe they sell your lead to many more contractors than they say.
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon1 For This Useful Post:
skcolo (03-25-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Of coarse they are a scam lol. So is the yellow pages and those tax negotiation places too.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,968

Let us now if support helps you out .
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
ConstructionMarketingPro

Trade: Marketer for Construction Companies/Contractors
Rewards Points: 150

If Service Magic isn't doing the trick (which apparently it isn't), there's always online marketing to help you out.

Last edited by Sir Mixalot; 03-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Website Design & Social Media for Contractors
Rewards Points: 250

Create your own mini site. Drive traffic to it with PPC. That is exactly what SM, Bid Clerk, all the rest do. Except if you do it, you pay $5 a click, not $50 a lead.

Then it is up to you to close, but now you don't have 5 other companies hammering them. And that in the end, is what turns off the user, is the number of phone calls they get. No one but SM is happy about that scenario, and yet I don't understand why they don't improve their product by offering exclusive arrangements.
skcolo (03-25-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #9

Trade: Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter View Post
Create your own mini site. Drive traffic to it with PPC. That is exactly what SM, Bid Clerk, all the rest do. Except if you do it, you pay $5 a click, not $50 a lead.

Then it is up to you to close, but now you don't have 5 other companies hammering them. And that in the end, is what turns off the user, is the number of phone calls they get. No one but SM is happy about that scenario, and yet I don't understand why they don't improve their product by offering exclusive arrangements.
While I agree with the premise, I think you are oversimplifying it a bit. Sure, contractors can pay $5.00 per click (for a handful of trades like painting, pools, maybe roofing. Surely not that cheap for windows and other types of remodeling), but how many clicks will it take to convert into a lead? Most contractors don't have the background in PPC optimization, conversion rate optimization, split testing, etc. So a contractor can EASLIY burn a few hundred bucks on Adwords and not even get a single conversion because they had a poor strategy and their website did not convert.

So a contractor needs to either invest lots of time into learning all of the strategies around PPC, split testing, and internet marketing (which is easily going to be in the hundreds of hours, plus money spent testing). OR hire a firm to manage all that stuff for them, which can work well for larger companies b/c of how it scales. But if you are a small contractor with a budget of $500-1000 a month to spend on advertising, most of that would go towards a PPC firm and little left to spend on actual adwords.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your premise that contractors can advertise on their own and see better returns than with a lead company, but I don't think it should be oversimplified so contractors think that they can easily generate leads for less than $50 on their own when there is a lot of time, money, and risk involved in going that route.

Last edited by rgordon83; 04-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #10

[QUOTE=DarrenSlaughter;1456045]Create your own mini site. Drive traffic to it with PPC. That is exactly what SM, Bid Clerk, all the rest do. Except if you do it, you pay $5 a click, not $50 a lead.

Last edited by rgordon83; 04-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 117

I used sm. Or should I say they used me. I received duplicate incorrect lead and instead of crediting me they said they would take it off of next months leads. Or something like that. Trouble is, at the time I was really hurting so they were basically taking food from my family. I want nothing to do with that monster that is sm.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Bathroom Remodeler

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 560

I have a real hate/love relationship with servicemagic. Every time I say "the hell with this"
a great lead comes through. Im in the process of doing a $15,000 bathroom that I received info 3 weeks ago. it's really hard to break away from!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Website Design & Social Media for Contractors
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgordon83 View Post
While I agree with the premise, I think you are oversimplifying it a bit. Sure, contractors can pay $5.00 per click (for a handful of trades like painting, pools, maybe roofing. Surely not that cheap for windows and other types of remodeling), but how many clicks will it take to convert into a lead? Most contractors don't have the background in PPC optimization, conversion rate optimization, split testing, etc. So a contractor can EASLIY burn a few hundred bucks on Adwords and not even get a single conversion because they had a poor strategy and their website did not convert.

So a contractor needs to either invest lots of time into learning all of the strategies around PPC, split testing, and internet marketing (which is easily going to be in the hundreds of hours, plus money spent testing). OR hire a firm to manage all that stuff for them, which can work well for larger companies b/c of how it scales. But if you are a small contractor with a budget of $500-1000 a month to spend on advertising, most of that would go towards a PPC firm and little left to spend on actual adwords.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your premise that contractors can advertise on their own and see better returns than with a company like SM, but I don't think it should be oversimplified so contractors think that they can easily generate leads for less than $50 on their own when there is a lot of time, money, and risk involved in going that route.
Oversimplifying....sure. There is a lot that goes into that. But there is a lot that goes into building a house too. Point is, and I am not disagreeing with you either, is if you can learn the process, your cost of lead acquisition can be greatly reduced if you learn the same method lead gen companies use to deliver leads to contractors.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter View Post
Oversimplifying....sure. There is a lot that goes into that. But there is a lot that goes into building a house too. Point is, and I am not disagreeing with you either, is if you can learn the process, your cost of lead acquisition can be greatly reduced if you learn the same method lead gen companies use to deliver leads to contractors.
I still agree, but that's similar to me saying that I don't need to hire a contractor to remodel my bathroom because I can just learn to do it myself and then save a lot of money. The problem is many people don't have the time to specialize in many things (and i'm not handy in any shape or form, so I would rather just have a contractor do it because they will do a better job and I can focus on other things I am good at). A contractor can spend hundreds of hours learning the ins and outs of SEM, but then they need to spend ongoing time keeping up with changes in Google's algorithms, and PPC match typs, and all the new social media crazes. Lead generation companies make their money by staying a step ahead on that stuff. Good contractors succeed by staying a step ahead on industry trends and changes. But it's hard to stay a step ahead on everything at the same time. That's why services exist in the first place. (People have limited time so they use their time to specialize in a trade and then sell that expertise in exchange for other services and goods).
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 192

As already stated you can achieve better results than SM does with adwords.

http://www.wordsinarow.com/google-adwords.html
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
As already stated you can achieve better results than SM does with adwords.

http://www.wordsinarow.com/google-adwords.html
That article must be a few yeas old. It doesn't mention 3/4 of the features available in Adwords such as:

Ad extensions
New broad match modifier
mobile campaigns
retargeting
enhanced CPC
Conversion optimizer
Google Website Optimizer
Content network strategy
negative keywords
campaign automation
search query reports
day parting
geo targeting
position preferences
and many more...

That's the point I'm trying to make in the posts above, contractors can learn the basics Adwords, but the lead gen companies will always be one (or many) steps ahead because they make their money by generating leads so you can rest assured that they will always be learning the newest strategies that will help them generate more leads at a cheaper cost-per-lead faster than most contractors can keep up with.
The Following User Says Thank You to rgordon83 For This Useful Post:
PowerWash (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgordon83

That article must be a few yeas old. It doesn't mention 3/4 of the features available in Adwords such as:

Ad extensions
New broad match modifier
mobile campaigns
retargeting
enhanced CPC
Conversion optimizer
Google Website Optimizer
Content network strategy
negative keywords
campaign automation
search query reports
day parting
geo targeting
position preferences
and many more...

That's the point I'm trying to make in the posts above, contractors can learn the basics Adwords, but the lead gen companies will always be one (or many) steps ahead because they make their money by generating leads so you can rest assured that they will always be learning the newest strategies that will help them generate more leads at a cheaper cost-per-lead faster than most contractors can keep up with.
Good post.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor, Insurance and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

My experience with SM was horrible. Bad leads, ticked off customers, bad leads replaced with worse leads. Heck, I asked for my money back and they just said sorry, but we can give you more leads. It's been several years now and they still call and I tell them to go buzz off (that's the nice version).
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillman View Post
Let us now if support helps you out .
I would never consider calling support.. They had the chance to remedy the situation before I left, and they failed.

SM is a terrible company. I'm amazed there are people on here that have had success with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
krist (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,968

Did you ever think of changing your category's of work in the market which you where shooting for or expanding your service area . When you first joined up .

Just thinking

Advertisement