Merchant Circle Sells Leads? - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Merchant Circle Sells Leads?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Merchant Circle Sells Leads?

I have an add on Merchant Circle and just noticed that they are selling leads for ten dollars each. Has anyone tried them out? I think Ill give them a try and let you guys know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter72 For This Useful Post:
festerized (01-22-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
;)

Trade: Wall Patrol
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Merchant Circle Sells Leads?

This article will give you more insight into MerchantCircles pay-per-action process. It seems that many middle-men lead generators (like ServiceMagic, Yodle, etc) are buying these leads from MerchantCircle.
Quote:
PPA features include highly targeted lead delivery defined by locale and business category, and a fully automated and scalable platform. Also, all activities are trackable, participating businesses receive increased online visibility, and customers only pay for performance. Initial partners include OpenTable, Citysearch, ServiceMagic, NearbyNow, and eLocalListing, as well as Yodle (www.yodle.com), which provides online marketing.

"We've teamed up with MerchantCircle to provide an additional source of targeted leads for our local business-owner clients," Yodle chief executive officer Court Cunningham said in a statement. "With MerchantCircle's large local consumer traffic, our clients have even more opportunity to find more quality local leads. The best part is our clients only pay for performance."
Also, I'd be very careful with a paid MC listing, given their past behavior which includes:

I. Purchasing domain names that include the trade name for a local businesses

Quote:
Many searches on these trade name domain with locale show the MC result in the One Box (due to Google assigning it to unclaimed records) and in positions one and two on the main results page.

I called several of the business owners, including Art & Faux, to determine whether any had in fact authorized MC to purchase the domain on their behalf. The three owners with whom I spoke indicated that they had not given them any authority to purchase domains in their name nor had they paid MC for a domain.
II. Replaced the primary display number for many of the hotels in their US business listing index with an #800 for HotelsByCity.net.

Quote:
Their newest “tactic” seems to fall into the less savory category. Merchant Circle has apparently replaced the primary display number for many of the hotels in their US business listing index with an #800 for HotelsByCity.net. HotelsbyCity.net is a affliate model hotel booking site that is a member of Priceline’s Partner Network. Rob Mauer, Partner Relations Manager at Priceline, confirmed that this relationship was initiated by MC (that was just before he ended our phone conversation, go figure).
III. Lying to their paid customers re how many impressions/reviews their business has

IV. Using bait-and-switch tactics to get business to sign up for paid listings.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
carpenter72 (02-16-2010), festerized (01-22-2010), Sir Mixalot (01-22-2010)