Lead Company Numbers - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Lead Company Numbers

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Lead Company Numbers

Ok, I know most of everyones feelign on the online leads companies out there. I started using them to try to drum up some business & get my name out there, so far nto so good. I was wondering what other were gettign for actual numbers.

For instance:
Reliable Remodeler
5 total leads
1 estimate, no jobs yet
1 said he did not submit a request to them & house was already sided - credited
1 out of my service area (said the TV commercial said 50% off labor, uh, ok sure) - credited
2 that HO did not return any calls or emails at all.

Service Magic
9 leads
2 estimates, no jobs yet
1 Ho was trying to leave feedback for another contractor - credited
1 was way to big of a job for starting out
3 were not my exact line of work, HO chose wrong description - credited
1 already had a contractor, not sure if she had it before i contacted though. left a message hours after gettgint he lead & talked to her the following day.
1 was wrong description by HO - credited

so out of 14 leads, I have only given 3 estimates for almost $450 worth of leads! Thinking about dropping SM cause they are so damn expensive. will probably keep RR, only $10 a month + leads.

what's everyone elses estimates/leads ratio, are you getting in touch with HO's?

I know this has been discussed to no end, but I'd like to see actual numbers by this stuff rather than general statements about how they suck to see if it's typical or something I might be doing wrong. I'm always very friendly & enthusiastic in my VM's.

thanks,
Dan

Last edited by Danno6102; 07-26-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Lead Company Numbers

Lookup "marc" he post his results every few weeks.

We just terminated 4 services in the past month. Over the past year we have gone through about every lead service so my input is a little tainted.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Hey Dan,

It is nice to see numbers, my experiance is just about like yours. I dropped ServiceMagic a couple years ago, horrible leads and poor service.

Are you sure you are only paying $10 a month for Reliable Remodeler? Is it an introductory offer or something? They are charging me $29.99 a month, and I am just about ready to drop them, not much better than SM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemike View Post
Hey Dan,

It is nice to see numbers, my experiance is just about like yours. I dropped ServiceMagic a couple years ago, horrible leads and poor service.

Are you sure you are only paying $10 a month for Reliable Remodeler? Is it an introductory offer or something? They are charging me $29.99 a month, and I am just about ready to drop them, not much better than SM.
Sucker, I was only paying $10. ( I mean sucker in a nice way)
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder

Well, right now it's free for 30 days & then $10 a month after that. I'd call & say your going to cancel, tell them you'll stay for $10.

One thing about SM is that they are getting on my last nerve. They call 3-4 times a week. Just send me leads damn it!!! I don't have time to chit chat!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Professional Painting Contractor

We choose to participate in many of those leading generating companies, yes they are exspensive and at times very frustureting you may get 20 crappy leads but then one day comes around and you will get what you need and then some to cover the cost for my experience. In the last year we have done 50 - 75k in service magic leads alone, yes they are exspensive but in my opinion service magic is the cream of the crop the best of the best.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Professional Remodeler

After reading the posts about others paying $10 a month, I got really and fired off am email cancelling my account and telling them what a crock it is others are paying $10 a month and I am paying $30 a month and never a word about cheaper rates.

I talked to my rep twice in the last month (about getting credit for crappy leads) and not a word about a cheaper program. I have never gotten a good job from them yet, been with them for over a year. As welove painting said, sometimes you have to wait, but for me, the wait is over!

By the way dougchips, you are right, I am/was a "sucker", and I know you ment it with all sincerity!

Last edited by firemike; 07-26-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Insert title

firemike, how about constructiondeal.com? They have a monthly fee but if you complain about the lead volume it is free. Free really doesn't matter much since I have only received a lead in the past year.

You might want RR to confirm your cancellation via e-mail.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Professional Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
firemike, how about constructiondeal.com? They have a monthly fee but if you complain about the lead volume it is free. Free really doesn't matter much since I have only received a lead in the past year.

Doug,

I signed up with constructiondeal.com too, not officially, but with their notification by email program. All you get is an email telling you there is a project in your area, what kind of project, and a few other useless details. You have to join to get the contact info. I get about 1 every month or two, and usually too far from me to take it anyway. And I live in metro Detroit, where you'd think there would be several a week, so apparently they are not a popular service, at least here in southeastern Michigan.

I already got a phone message on my office phone, my cell phone, and an email from my rep at RR asking the I "please" call him and he will explain how and why the pricing is like it is. This ought to be interesting.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 500

Service magic promotes their contractors as eager, willing to work immediately for dirt and happy to get right there on a sunday morning, after beating all other bids...as long as you give them a good review.
They attract really "smart" bargain hunters ("I am wanting you to do dis right now at a good price and I might give you a good review if you are pleasing me with good work")...who are on the verge of just DIYing, but are kind enough to pretend you know what you're doing as they stare over your shoulder.

Reliable remodeler was kind enough to send me one week old leads...I felt great doing customer service follow-ups for my competition, to their credit my account was credited towards future "quality" leads once or twice.

I won't try Bidclerk...they're cheap...you get access to ALL leads posted publicly for it's members...as do your countless competitors. (but it's cheap!)

A friend tried construction deal and luckily got a lead oiver 100 miles away after 3 months...for a faucet leak.

The experienced pro's here will vouch for two things...
- word of mouth RULES over all other advertizing.
- Giving discounts to bargain hunters will indeed get you referrals...to
more bargain hunters ("My friend told me you work cheap, wanna
rebuild my house?"), and effectively keep you busy while your competitor takes on work at the right price.
Funny thing is, there's plenty of work out there...there's also plenty of intermediary middlemen looking for the most money they can get.
I found a VERY interesting article in the "article" section here, if you're not familiar with leads...read it!

Last edited by Grumpyplumber; 08-07-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Ultimate touch

Trade: General contractor, Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post

those leads are funny as hell..complete kitchen remodel looking to pay around 4500..ha ha.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Ultimate touch

Trade: General contractor, Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Ok, I know most of everyones feelign on the online leads companies out there. I started using them to try to drum up some business & get my name out there, so far nto so good. I was wondering what other were gettign for actual numbers.

For instance:
Reliable Remodeler
5 total leads
1 estimate, no jobs yet
1 said he did not submit a request to them & house was already sided - credited
1 out of my service area (said the TV commercial said 50% off labor, uh, ok sure) - credited
2 that HO did not return any calls or emails at all.

Service Magic
9 leads
2 estimates, no jobs yet
1 Ho was trying to leave feedback for another contractor - credited
1 was way to big of a job for starting out
3 were not my exact line of work, HO chose wrong description - credited
1 already had a contractor, not sure if she had it before i contacted though. left a message hours after gettgint he lead & talked to her the following day.
1 was wrong description by HO - credited

so out of 14 leads, I have only given 3 estimates for almost $450 worth of leads! Thinking about dropping SM cause they are so damn expensive. will probably keep RR, only $10 a month + leads.

what's everyone elses estimates/leads ratio, are you getting in touch with HO's?

I know this has been discussed to no end, but I'd like to see actual numbers by this stuff rather than general statements about how they suck to see if it's typical or something I might be doing wrong. I'm always very friendly & enthusiastic in my VM's.

thanks,
Dan

It really doesnt seem like you have recieved enough leads..but my leads are climbing by the week and they all blow lately. The thing that burns me up is you cant get a hold of 80% of the people no matter when you call them and how soon and service magic doesnt credit you.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Carpenter

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

I have been with SM for a few years, I get about 20 or so leads a week! I have not accepted any in a long time though bc I have no time for more work. Of the ones I have accepted in the past, I get maybe 65% of them. Every year thought they increase the lead fee's, that sux.
Just like one said in an earlier reply, alot of the people are bargin hunters. I have more work by word of mouth than I can handle.
I do however keep SM around bc you never know, things could just come to a screeching stop, but there will most always be leads in the inbox.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: EXTERIORS

Reliable remodeler sucks... the leads they give you are crap. We wasted our time on about 25 of their leads. We looked at about 10 leads and all the people did not have the money to get the work done. The other 15 we bogus numbers or the people did know who reliable remodeler was.

Service magic went like this ...

First lead. Homeowner already had contractor but you can give me another estimate. Then I was thinking
service magic must have made him agree to let ___ number of contractors look at the job SCAM

Second lead. Homeowner did not know who service magic was.

Third lead. Contractor already hired I called 5 mins after getting the lead.

Fourth lead. Contractor already hired I called 5 mins after getting the lead.

Fifth lead. Contractor already hired I called 5 mins after getting the lead.

Now im $250 in the hole. I called to cancel and the guy was talking to me like I was some kind of crackhead joey contractor that did not know the business side of the business. He would not let me cancel so I stopped payment on my card.

That other dude on the forum that promotes Service Magic must own stock thier company...

Advertisement

Last edited by HUDSONVALLEYEXT; 08-07-2007 at 01:30 PM.