HomeAdvisor Sued By San Francisco DA Over “misleading” Ads - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

HomeAdvisor Sued By San Francisco DA Over “misleading” Ads

Old 04-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,416

HomeAdvisor Sued By San Francisco DA Over “misleading” Ads

HomeAdvisor sued by San Francisco DA over “misleading” ads touting background checks.

Main topic seems to be "“HomeAdvisor’s advertisements are false and misleading because they are likely to deceive consumers into believing that all service professionals hired through HomeAdvisor who come into their homes have passed criminal background checks. This is not the case.... ,” according to the suit, filed last week by San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/2...und-check-ads/

Without focusing on the negatives of this story, this is an example why I guide my clients to have a strong About Us page, showing pictures where applicable and any other important information that allows a potential customer to feel comfortable for you to walk into their home.

Stories like this do not personally bother me since I prefer contractors to focus on their marketing efforts to drive traffic directly to their own websites.

And whether you like HA-AL, or not, having this type of negative exposure isn't super helpful when it comes to consumer confidence. It takes a lot to get the District Attorney's attention of a major city, so you can just imagine how much actually was occurring to get to this point.

Happy Reading.
Bull Trout (04-07-2018), cedarboarder (04-04-2018), greg24k (04-07-2018), MarkJames (04-04-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,314

Re: HomeAdvisor Sued By San Francisco DA Over “misleading” Ads

will they quit calling me now?

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-07-2018), cedarboarder (04-04-2018), greg24k (04-07-2018), sidemouse (04-30-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post

Without focusing on the negatives of this story, this is an example why I guide my clients to have a strong About Us page, showing pictures where applicable and any other important information that allows a potential customer to feel comfortable for you to walk into their home.

I don't get the About Us Page??? I look at other contractors web sites and what I don't get is you click on the "about us" page to find out who they are and all they say is I'm a contractor I've done lots of work call me..............

wtf is wrong with people, why don't you list your hobbies, education, personal back round, how you got to where you are in life.......

I think its funny......

and for HA, well nothing will come of the lawsuit, there will be an even smaller asterisks with even harder to see fine print disclosing what they do or don't do when it comes to back round checks

as for me I could never work for HA, between me and a few of my guys we have too many felonies, wouldn't want us in your house right?Heck my ex had 64 felonies charged against her once, most of them got dropped, she's not a bad person, neither am I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred View Post
I don't get the About Us Page??? I look at other contractors web sites and what I don't get is you click on the "about us" page to find out who they are and all they say is I'm a contractor I've done lots of work call me..............

...., why don't you list your hobbies, education, personal back round, how you got to where you are in life.......
I agree which is why I guide people to personalize. For example, look at how this guy introduces his military background. We focus on "Proudly Served Our Country now Proudly Serving Our Community". He gets so many comments from personalizing his About Page.
http://tileandslateroof.com/about/

And some like showing a whole team bio, with individual pictures and a team picture too.
http://castileconstructioninc.com/about/meet-our-team/

I think items like this allow someone to get more comfortable with the person and/or company before they meet you.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,872

Quote:
............. why don't you list your hobbies,.........
I like 12th-century French cooking, underwater basket weaving and taking up-skirt photos with my shoe-cam.

Quote:
..... education, .........
I got's me a sicks-grayed edyoukashun.

Quote:
....personal back round,......
My back is round, my front is round, my legs, my arms, my neck, my head..... all round.

Quote:
......how you got to where you are in life.....................
I drove here.

Fouthgeneration (04-05-2018), Kowboy (05-31-2018), RickP (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,839

MOTB: I'd take a long hard stare at using strategy as an adjective, "strategy planning"? .
Is that easier or harder then planning strategy.............maybe strategic planning?

My buzz word detector was in the "red" zone....

Your posts reads like an United Nations policy statement.

If you are under 25 years old, you might still be able to sue your High School Board successfully for signing your Diploma.....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 04-07-2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: oops, reversed planning & strategy bygod.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
MOTB (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
MOTB: I'd take a long hard stare at using strategy as an adjective, "strategy planning"? .
Is that easier or harder then planning strategy.............maybe strategic planning?
I didn't put that much thought with that when originally setting it up. Strategic Planning would probably be better, but many more were using "strategy" as the more volume oriented search, and then "planning" as the second most volume oriented search. So I was just typing stream of thought. But thank you for the observation.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,788

I was wondering how long it will for this to happen.

Couldn't agree more with Irish, they just don't give up even after you tell them to go and FTS.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Pro

I tend to shop where there is an attempt to write English, and does being part of a large erroneous crowd make your mistakes smaller?

Says the man with a misspelled avatar name.....

Maximizing hits on a search Engines is not improving the language IMO.

Unless your market demographics are focused on the semi-literate?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
I tend to shop where there is an attempt to write English, and does being part of a large erroneous crowd make your mistakes smaller?
Nope, but mistakes are just mistakes ... And I admitted it, so really not sure if there is a point.

I was about to offer a comment pertaining to "how consumers tend to shop, so I went to click on Your Website from Your Profile ... but it says "This site can’t be reached and could not be found." .... Is that just a mistake or is it real?

In any case, happen to have any comments pertaining to Lead Generation services, or is this just an attempt to deflect others from the subject matter? I do realize there are some that do well with the lead gen companies, which is fine, but this was just an update about the topic at hand.

Would be nice to stay on track. Or should I say "It would be nice to stay on track."?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #11
Pro

MOTB: I don't waste any time on a web site, for me in my market it wouldn't break even.....

In a year or two it look silly as I'd didn't update it constantly.....

Now, If I made my living peddling electron farts, I'd act differently.

Concerning "Lead Generating (Services)", Most are just another info sucking device self inserted in the victims, some give the "client" a lolly pop to distract them during the hoovering of info and cash. IMHO

Your Post NEVER mentioned "lead generation services" BTW.....

I don't have time to translate your "flash" slang/argot of your original post, maybe some cloud based app could reprint your post in the American common usage vernacular?

The true influence of the increased speed of information flow is the reduced need for immediate parasites between the seller and buyer in a market place, My "steaks" will sizzle when the customer throws them on the grill.

I think I'll write an App to replace your ilk..... and give it away.....
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #12

Quote:
MOTB: I don't waste any time on a web site, for me in my market it wouldn't break even.....

In a year or two it look silly as I'd didn't update it constantly.....
Actually you would not need to update it as constantly as you would think. And since you seem to have a knack for writing, you would probably be better at updating it than you think. Look at the amount of thought you give into replying to me, when in all reality you could have probably created a fantastic page about one of your services in the same amount of time.
Fouthgeneration (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #13
Pro

The 'glass' walls of the current iteration of the InterNet has NEGATIVE appeal me, I want NO servants in my House or business that are guaranteed to be pimping data about me to any and all...

At some point in very near future, society will devolve into an EVIL tyranny based on 24/7/365 internet based Big Brother spying on its drones, or We will reestablish Our innate Natural rights to Privacy as the Default condition in almost ALL interactions.

As it is now, the Cloud and InterNet based apps are self imposed slave fetters. IMO

What fool wants their business/personal accounts on the Internet databases Forever?

You are a "nice Guy" running the train to the Gulag.....

One thing I've learned is the more lights in the window at a bar, the crappier the service.....
The 1000.00$/hr whores don't advertise much....the 20.00$ crack jobs are all over Face Book...etc...

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 04-11-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #14

Thanks for the compliment, but I do think you are missing a major opportunity. You write well, even when I do not agree with you on the perceptions of the internet. You would do wonders for yourself if you adequately packaged the best of yourself on the web. Good luck either way.
Fouthgeneration (04-11-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #15

Related News Report, HomeAdvisor under fire after lawsuit, consumers allege misleading ads

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/loc...sleading-ads#/
Old 04-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Related News Report, HomeAdvisor under fire after lawsuit, consumers allege misleading ads

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/loc...sleading-ads#/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 04-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 PM   #17

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 106

Waste of time and money, all of it, every last bit of it.

The whole kit and kaboodle from web sites to newspapers to Google adwords and anything and every form of paid advertising under the sky, some is better than the rest but it's all a big waste of time and money.

Here's what a couple of us figured out during the Great Recession, and you can believe me we tried a lot of different strategies but this is how we got through:

Give them a good product or service for a fair price.
And you'll never be short on work.

You with me?
Good product or service.
For a fair price.

And that is ALL you have to do.

That having been said, the whole schmear with HomeAdvisor doesn't surprise me. In ways I should be glad but unfortunately I don't think anything's going to slow that guy down, they used to be called "service magic" and we found the magic of the service was how fast they made money disappear.

Thumbtack's not much better, Angie's List and teh BBB right behind them, all the same if you ask me.

Give them a good product / service for a Fair price, and you'll never be short on work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidemouse For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (04-30-2018), GregB (05-02-2018), Navigatorgt (05-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #18
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,944

I was a very satisfied homeadvisor customer for 12 1/2 years, but then they started charging me for leads for jobs for which I was not subscribed.

For instance, a homeowner would mistakenly ask for a new countertop when I'm only signed up for countertop repairs. I would call the potential customer, confirm they didn't need a repair, then contact HA requesting a credit. If HA couldn't confirm with the customer, they would deny the credit. I told them that was stealing and if they didn't change their policy I would quit. They didn't and I did.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

The truth is: San Francisco sues everybody

Or, should I say everything and everybody the politicians in SF don't like.

Big deal, it makes the news for a few months. Get's tied up in court for years, then silently disappears.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #20

Group of contractors who say the sites leads are overwhelming bogus

https://businessden.com/2018/07/23/c...lmingly-bogus/

Advertisement

sparehair (08-23-2018)