Has Anyone Learned A Way To Make Service Magic Stop Listing Your Company Name? - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Has Anyone Learned A Way To Make Service Magic Stop Listing Your Company Name?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Has Anyone Learned A Way To Make Service Magic Stop Listing Your Company Name?

I need to know how to stop Service Magic from posting my company's name all over the internet with THEIR number and website.

I for a short time used them but not for the last year and they still post our information to get calls for THEM.

Please help.

FYI -Google your company name with quotation marks around it and see what comes up.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: All Trades
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Has Anyone Learned A Way To Make Service Magic Stop Listing Your Company Name?

DFW - my name is Shawn Trammell. I monitor the online reputation for SM.

Thanks,

Shawn

Advertisement

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 05-18-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: moderators note: This post has been stripped of contact information per service provider rules
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Has Anyone Learned A Way To Make Service Magic Stop Listing Your Company Name?

Simply this
Service Magic in their contract states they will use your name.
They may remove it if you make enough noise, but you agreed to their terms.
They should not use this tactic but it makes them money so the best thing is read the contract, but few people do.
Use that marketing money where you get all the benefits, not Service Magic.
The insanity of this situation is amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

Trade: carpet cleaning

Service Magic has hijacked my local listing with Google Maps and has put a link to their website inside my business listing at Superpages. It is unlawful and business piracy. Is their anyone who can assist with this
matter?

Last edited by jcmann01; 04-23-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Best to wait .
Old 04-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Making a living

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom remodel, general contractor
Rewards Points: 182

It is time for a class action lawsuit and put these guys out of business!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Trade: carpet cleaning
Thumbs down

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 7:44 PM
To: Trammell, Shawn
Subject: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Shawn:

I found this article on line:

Summarize the issue: My Servicemagic account is somehow linked to my Google Local Business Listing. This causes potential clients to go to ServiceMagic for "quotes" which cost me money for no reason. Would like ServiceMagic removed from my listing.

Link to the map or business listing in question if applicable:

My name is Shawn Trammell and I monitor the online reputation for ServiceMagic. I can help you with your Google Local Business Listing. I would like an opportunity to discuss this issue with you and look forward to assisting you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thank you,
Shawn Trammell
303-963-8130

So I was wondering if you can assist me with this issue:

I noticed that Service Magic has hijacked my Google Maps local listing and put their phone number on the listing. I would like this to be removed from all my local listings with Google and other search engines and directories please. This is unethical and business piracy, which is unlawful to do without the business owner's permission. My existing account with Service Magic has been closed and I would like all connections to Service Magic severed with no references or hijack links back to Service Magic. Here is the link to my local listing. I have no way to edit it out. Thankyou for your assistance in advance.

Jeff

Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 10:49:52 AM
Subject: RE: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Jeffrey,

Thank you for reaching out to get this issue resolved. I noticed your information was sent following a conversation you had with Theresa. This should take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of month for the removal of all your XM links online. Your Google listing should still be available provided you had one prior to SM. SM creates a separate listing and doesn’t hijack your previous profiles, including the Google Map Listing, these are new accounts that SM sets up for your company. Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with.

Thanks,

Shawn Trammell
Phone: 303.963.8130
Fax: 866.736.9119
ServiceMagic is an operating business of IAC

ServiceMagic is a Preferred Partner of Better Homes and Gardens

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:40 AM
To: Trammell, Shawn
Subject: Re: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Thats bull****!! All they have to do is completely remove Service Magic names and addresses from Google local Maps listings and this can be done right away. When I set up my local listing, it showed up right away and when I make changes to my local listings, they show up right away, so it will not takes weeks or months. I would do it myself, but the area for editing this out does not show up. Somehow Service Magic rigged it this way?

Details from servicemagic
Call For A Quote
(866) 616-3901

Get A Quote
Get A Quote

In Business Since

Services Offered
Tile, Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning

More from servicemagic-com

I want all the above information removed immediately, otherwise I will file a complaint with Google that your violating their service level agreements about trademark and infringing on other businesses, which Service Magic does on a habitual basis.

Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 11:50:52 AM
Subject: RE: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

This can not be done right away. We have dates that we can send the information to the syndicated partners and they will remove the profiles. The reason you aren’t able to edit the listing is because that is not the same page you had. Service Magic can not rig the profiles, those are the ones SM purchased when marketing your company. If you had profiles or listings on these sites prior to agreeing to market your company with SM then you should still have access to those sites and listings. Just as it takes time to get the links started it also takes time to remove them as well.

Service Magic has not violated any service level agreements about trademarks and is not infringing on your business. We were simply marketing your company through our XM program that you agreed to. I apologize for the inconvenience as it does take time to remove the links, which we’ve already started the process.

Shawn Trammell
Phone: 303.963.8130
Fax: 866.736.9119
ServiceMagic is an operating business of IAC

ServiceMagic is a Preferred Partner of Better Homes and Gardens
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #7

Trade: Remodel

I understand we contractors agree to let them advertise our name while we employ them to create leads for us, but I FIRED Service Magic for doing a bad job.
Just like anyone else I have done business with in the past (sign, website, radio) and fired; they do not have my permission to use my name in anyway.

I also understand Service Magic could have trouble removing my info...because they have polluted the internet with fake ads and websites. Customers are loosing faith in what they find online because of companies like Service Magic.

Googel is not the only place they are using past customers AND COMPETITORS THAT HAVE NEVER USED THEM. Here are just a few places they put my info AFTER I FIRED THEM.

Citysearch

Insiderpages Expertise and overview provided by Service Magic.

YellowBot beta Posted by Citysearch on November 12, 2009

Judy's book
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Is it possible that Google merged the two advertisements or deleted one because of duplication? I agree, I would be pretty livid about the situation.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Trade: Painter

Same thing happened to me: I am literally on the phone right now with SM. They told me "very sorry, but your exact match was never cancelled." Seriously, I had explicit, specific conversations with them about cancelling all services last summer. I am beyond upset right now. Class action, anyone? Anyone?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

I have a thread “SM is stealing my business name”
https://www.contractortalk.com/f100/s...ss-name-68765/
Best cancel exact match ASAP!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
David Festa

k. In addition to all of the other terms and conditions herein, SPs using ServiceMagic's Exact Match services (not available in Canada) also agree to the following:

(i) SP hereby represents and warrants that the information provided by SP in the SP profile on the SP's online profile page is, and shall at all times be, maintained in an accurate, up-to-date and professional manner, and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations;

(ii) SP hereby agrees that it hereby has automatically pre-accepted any Exact Match Leads provided to it by ServiceMagic;

(iii) SP hereby agrees to pay for any and all Exact Match Leads, in accordance with the then current ServiceMagic fee schedule;

(iv) ServiceMagic may provide SP's phone number to any individual calling the Exact Match Numbers;

(v) SP acknowledges and agrees that not all consumers calling the SP's Exact Match Number or visiting the SP's online profile page will be directed to SP for reasons including, but not limited to the Exact Match consumer's request not matching the SP's profile, SP's account being on hold or no longer being a member of the ServiceMagic network, or the SP not having any available spend target. In such event, ServiceMagic may direct consumers from the SP's online profile page to the ServiceMagic website
;

(vi) SP hereby authorizes ServiceMagic to take any and all actions necessary to generate click-throughs to SP's online profile page and telephone calls to Exact Match Numbers, including contracting with search engines, Internet directories, and other online and offline advertising sources and making the representations herein on behalf of SP to such third parties, and

(vii) SP authorizes ServiceMagic to use, copy, reproduce, and sublicense SP's contact information, SP's profile, and any content on the SP's online profile page in furtherance of the foregoing.

Last edited by festerized; 04-29-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
David Festa

SP authorizes ServiceMagic to use, copy, reproduce, and sublicense SP's contact information, SP's profile, and any content on the SP's online profile page in furtherance of the foregoing.

Sell your soul to the devil when deal with SM
Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor

I did a search on my companies name a few weeks ago and found about 10-15 search engine postings with my info but another phone number was listed that lead back to SM advertising for another contractor. I was with them only a month and that was about a year ago. SM said it's my responsibly to contact each search engine and have the listing revised.
Life sucks! Thanks to ServiceMagic……….
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMsupport View Post
I monitor the online reputation for SM
Good luck with that.

Your company is so blatently unethical and shameless its stunning.

ALL you will do is offer lip service and then go on sucking.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeGC For This Useful Post:
Chris Johnson (04-30-2011), festerized (04-30-2011), kevjob (04-30-2011), Laketahoedan (05-18-2011), Splinter hands (10-26-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
David Festa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGC View Post

ALL you will do is offer lip service and then go on sucking.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

Just like we tell our clients, read your contract, we have to do the same.

There are so many un-ethical companies trying to make money off of us, put a stop to it by reading the contract and not putting up with BS from these types of companies.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 9,607

We have pages and pages on CT warning people not to use SM. You should do a good search of any company you plan on doing business with.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds
Rewards Points: 500

Same thing happened to us last year.

As festerized said, REMOVE EXACT MATCH IMMEDIATELY.

When we were doing the exact match lead campaign with them, you could do a google search with just our business name, and you could automatically see a paid sponsor link on the right hand side of the results page with the name of our company. If a homeowner clicked on that thinking they were going to be directed to OUR companies website, they were instead directed to one of ZILLIONS of pages servicemagic had constructed. Then, instead of our company getting an "exclusive" lead as the homeowner was thinking they were perhaps going directly to OUR site, service magic would in turn sell that lead BACK TO US and 3 TO HOWEVER MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS AS WELL!

Good luck with this issue, as I know it infuriated the hell out of me having to deal with it.

It literally took me MONTHS of phone calls, with me bitching and moaning, but again--months later they had removed all of the links.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: All Trades

Hi there,

I would like to apologize if you are having troubles with Exact Match listings. The intent of Exact Match is to provide your company with exposure and drive traffic directly to you. When Exact Match is canceled it may take some time to be removed because we have to wait for search engines to refresh their listings.

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 05-18-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: removed contact info
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Don't sign up in the first place.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Chasing Dreams (10-26-2011), Laketahoedan (05-18-2011), Splinter hands (10-26-2011)