Did You Get Ripped Off By A Lead Generator? - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Did You Get Ripped Off By A Lead Generator?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Did You Get Ripped Off By A Lead Generator?

I had service magic for quite some time and was geeting 90% crap from them. I found out that they do not get all of there leads from there website, they buy info from other companies who do online surveys and such. This is fraud. They finally admitted this to me at service magic, not the fraud part, but the fact that they buy peoples information. Most of the people would never call me back even after pleading with them to let me know to take them off my list. If I got a chance to talk to someone, most of the time they never wanted any work done, how is this possible. I wasted hundreds of hours on these leads with no fruits for my labor. would it not be nice if they actually did what they say in there sales call. I currently have an attorney looking at a class action lawsuit against them, let me know if you are interested.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Did You Get Ripped Off By A Lead Generator?

Did you get ripped off by a lead generator?

Does a bear s**t in the woods?

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

i'm in
i'd like to see them pay for all the hard earned monies they took from all us hard working people
corporate ripoff is what i say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

interesting. about three months ago I started to get calls from what I suspect were fishing expeditions. They didn't ask for specific jobs at specific sites or address but asked if I do work (roofs or siding or whatnot) in "areas". I suspected these were calls from potential lead generator services and never called one of them back. I feel this tactic of pretending to be a potential client is misleading and dishonest.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Certified Remodeler

My favorite lead in is when I answer the phone, it's so and so from SM,RR or any of the lead companies and they ask if I can handle more work because they have people waiting to hear from contractors and the people are so desperate to get a contractor that they only want to talk to me if I am ready to perform the work.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
My favorite lead in is when I answer the phone, it's so and so from SM,RR or any of the lead companies and they ask if I can handle more work because they have people waiting to hear from contractors and the people are so desperate to get a contractor that they only want to talk to me if I am ready to perform the work.

if I'm home i don't even let it get that far. if I see "unknown number" or 'out of area" on my caller ID I let the machine get it. When they start their spiel I pick up and disconnect.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
I remember being feed that
Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Al Smith

ok very funny guys, service magic just left a message on my answering machine. Who gave them my contact info?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I'm glad to see somebody finally getting this going, I've been pushing for you guys to do this for awhile.

It would be pretty sweet to see contractortalk.com as the catalyst that generates this class action lawsuit!

Talk about giving this place legitimacy, what could be more than seeing contractortalk in the news for being involved in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against SM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Certified Remodeler

Talk about giving this place legitimacy, what could be more than seeing contractortalk in the news for being involved in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against SM.

I would be willing to work towards this. Is this attainable?
We are as a group a very strong presence, yet we still put up with HD not pulling permits and Service Magic screwing with us like we would never dream of doing to our customers. According to one source there are 800,000 contractors in the United States, I doubt that, but we are the builders of America and we get sh*t on like a bunch Dung Beatles rolling around for lunch.
"Not a bad metaphor actually".
I'm MAD as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Proprietor

Trade: TILE!
Rewards Points: 1,060

I would gladly get my lawyer involved.

He and I both LOVE money.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I would love to get involved too... But I never signed up with them. But I do want you guys to nail those bastards. Go after some of the other bastards out there too (just about EVERY lead company)
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylguy View Post
i'm in
i'd like to see them pay for all the hard earned monies they took from all us hard working people
corporate ripoff is what i say!
send me a e-mail with your info
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #14

Trade: Custom Builder
Rewards Points: 25

Just FYI,

I am enrolled with SM, and they do credit you back the bad leads, but the time to chase down all these clown leads is horrible...

My real concern is that they have used our exact match enrollment to take over the Google Business Web page ranking we just put up, that really has me concerned,

keep me posted on the situation

Jeff
Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

what's the status of the lawsuit?, I'm in and have documented proof they are scammers.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #16

I am interested in seeing Service Magic get justice. There seems to be good grounds for a big suit.

The lesson for us in this is that there is no magic pill or service to help us reach customers...it is the same old avenues & you need some marketing help to get that done. Stick with local people.

I would like to teach Service Magic a lesson as well: We may look goofy in our coveralls and seem clueless about marketing, but we don't tolerate thieves taking money from our pockets and food from our kids mouths.

Where do I sign up?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #17

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Come on guys.

I have spent a lot of money on SM. I have eventuallly made a lot of money because of SM. It is meant to get you a job or two, and THEN maintaining those relationships and growing those referrals should be the focus.

It's guerilla marketing to any 16 year old to 80 year old with a computer. I think the only reason we're all pissed is because we're all too stupid to stop dumping our cash into something that isn't providing good leads.

I've lost a lot from holding on too long. I started using them 4 years ago, I have seen a drastic decline in that service, SO I switched my marketing campaign to include a number of equally guerilla tactics.

I'm slow now, but no way will I dump more cash into that well. Was I the one guy who did get a decent lead every once in a while? Marketing rarely is a one stop shop.

I also happened across people whom to this day I still do regular builds for.
Bad mouth them if you want.

BUT THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Baths, basements, carpentry, int.remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Im in.....................................
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75

This is a great point. We were enrolled with RoofSmith years ago and the leads were pretty bad - never sold a thing. SM put us through the wringer in the signup process - I said forget it and started our website. I have noticed the use of company names to generate leads for SM - THAT LOOKS LIKE ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. SM has a bunch od little surrogates that run sites. Thes SEO (search engine optimization) guys will use anything to steal a lead. That is what this is - stealing. I would go after them with a vengence.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I just posted on SM before I scrolled down and found this one. I'm in on dooming them.

Back in the day, I told them that I did not work in the county just north of me yet half of the leads that they sent me were from that county. I also specified that I didn't do exterior work but half of the leads were for that. I think that they just hire minium wage telephone monkeys that don't know a hammer from a nail to conduct business.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein