Anybody Using Thumbtack? - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Anybody Using Thumbtack?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

Anybody Using Thumbtack?

I have gotten two profitable jobs through Thumbtack .. but I suspect many of the leads are FAKE!
So I have begun adding this to my 'Bids' to the customers. Your thoughts?
"I WANT YOU TO KNOW! -Many of the best Pros are withdrawing from Thumbtack because of the suspicion- many of the 'contacts' are bogus. It costs us to respond to you! Thumbtack is not a “free” service! Please respond if you are a human being. Hire us or not, could you please touch base? I will not contact you if you do not request it. Email, text, quick phone call? Else I must assume I wasted my money in this ‘contact’ and been ripped off by Thumbtack. Please, are you a customer, or an employee of Thumbtack?"

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Re: Anybody Using Thumbtack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfix View Post
I have gotten two profitable jobs through Thumbtack .. but I suspect many of the leads are FAKE!
"I WANT YOU TO KNOW! -Many of the best Pros are withdrawing from Thumbtack because of the suspicion- many of the 'contacts' are bogus. It costs us to respond to you! Thumbtack is not a “free” service! Please respond if you are a human being. Hire us or not, could you please touch base? I will not contact you if you do not request it. Email, text, quick phone call? Else I must assume I wasted my money in this ‘contact’ and been ripped off by Thumbtack. Please, are you a customer, or an employee of Thumbtack?"
Thumbtack is rad and their clicks are cheap cheap cheap.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Trade: Landscaping

How many bids have you sent? Do you have reviews and a professional picture?

I only get maybe 1 or 2 out of 15 bids, but the leads cost only $2-3 compared to Homeadvisor. Also, sometimes the customer will give you access to their phone number after you submit a bid. I typically call them right away and set up an appointment for an estimate.

Also, make sure to follow up with people. Ask them why they didn't hire you. I have had people reach back out through Thumbtack months down the line because I was polite and asked for feedback.

Don't expect results overnight, and always remember it is a numbers game - you can't expect to win all of them (or even most of them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfix View Post
Have good success with Thumbtack. It's a numbers game but still have had few good jobs come from no more than $200 worth of bid credits. Other side of the metroplex, so regionally the same.

You put that Chit in your bid, , you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy of failure. If it makes you feel better, tho - run with it. None of the clients I got from Thumbtack would even consider a contractor that'd at least pretend to think they were real potential customers or their project was REAL.

Last edited by Texas Wax; 05-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,433

Do they charge only if/when you respond? So if you decide not to respond, is it bad form and detrimental to your reputation, or are leads going to multiple folks?
Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Do they charge only if/when you respond? So if you decide not to respond, is it bad form and detrimental to your reputation, or are leads going to multiple folks?
You can choose which projects you want to quote, passing on a quote you do not want does not hurt you at all. You only pay for quotes you send, so you get to somewhat screen requests and locations before you pull the trigger on sending in a quote. We've had good luck with Thumbtack, most of our retail work this year has been from Thumbtack. My best tip for you would be to send quotes on jobs you like immediately, response time is critical in getting your quote in before the request hits its quote limit. Most of them seem to be set at 5 quotes per request.

The easiest way to quote quickly is to utilize their quote templates. Just customize it to fit your business and you'll be able to send quotes quickly. Anytime your quote doesn't get viewed you get your credits back. You can also report scam quotes to get credits refunded. The refund turn around time is pretty quick.
Serving Northern, IL and Southern WI

Last edited by ct79; 05-11-2017 at 06:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ct79 For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (05-11-2017), Stevarino (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,232

Thumbtack is the only PPC service I have ever used. I've gotten several jobs from them. I believe the cost of the lead is very reasonable. Have to get back to folks within minutes to have a good shot with them. I got about 50% of the jobs I got involved in. In my area most every job is within 20-30 minutes.

I get a good sense of them over the phone and I also present well. I don't think you're going anywhere with any contacts with the reply you're planning. You're already creating problems / doubt for the customer. However if two bottom feeders want to get together I think you'll do quite well....

That said I deactivated myself 2 years ago when the economy picked up. I would not hesitate to re-up if needed.
sparehair (05-12-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,298

Listen to this NBC story from May 19.

Within less than 30 Seconds it starts with "Hiring a contractor is difficult and we often hear horror stories"

Contractors should keep in mind that this type of negative perceptions is the exact reason I am so focused helping contractors with their image on their website, Google Reviews and Facebook .... starting yesterday.

Use these negative perceptions of the industry as a catalyst to build a solid image. This includes having photos, reviews and even videos.

So while the story puts a negative spin on contractors as well as Thumbtack, I prefer to use the story to put a positive spin for contractors to do the right thing and market themselves to easily stand out from the negative perceptions. Yes, I agree there are those who are not good at what they do and they make it hard for the ones who are. But I more than feel there really are many good contractors out there who just don't do a good job at making they world aware they are ready to work for good customers.

Listen to the story and try to have the take away be the motivation to market yourself correctly since consumers are out there, they just have a hard time finding you.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...423198104.html
Old 06-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

Trade: Remodeling

I stopped adding that to my bids, but I have stopped responding unless the customer supplies a phone number for us to call after we bid.
My profile is 5 stars, my website is good, so I have no doubt that many of the anonymous 'leads' are bogus.
Yes I have gotten good leads, but the numbers don't add up on bid-response.
The Following User Says Thank You to smithfix For This Useful Post:
drhandy (06-05-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #10

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 4

A fried of mine used Thumbtack 2 years ago for his moving business and had good success with it. I think it got a lot more competitive since then so he stopped. I think it really depends on what type of industry you are in. It might work great in moving, junk hauling and furniture assembly, but in something like roofing,gc or flooring it might be tough.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,972

Is it possible to get paid to simply make people's phone ring, would love it...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Trade: Roofer Internet Marketing
Rewards Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Is it possible to get paid to simply make people's phone ring, would love it...
I think you're talking about what I do haha. Just in my case, the person on the other end wants roofing services.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #13

Trade: Design
Rewards Points: 2
Thumbs down

Thumbtack Survival Guide:

• Make sure to read the FAQs and the small hyperlinks. Prices are hidden in these areas.

• Don't engage a lead until you 100% understand the costs. We paid $60 for a single chat communication.

• Only buy leads with phone numbers and stay away from all leads where the phone numbers don't match up with the business zip.

• Check the leads to be sure the area code matches the business location (use online directories).

...And if they still don't pan out - report them to Thumbtack and pray they will refund... or just try something else.

Oh and this review below has to be some type of Online Reputation Management system. It's the only listing on the planet that gives this company a good rating.

https://www.google.com/shopping/rati...m&c=GLOBAL&v=1
Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

Trade: Ornamental Plastering
Rewards Points: 2

Would a moderator from thumbtack be prepared to answer some of the questions posed on this forum as when you ask legitimate questions on the thumbtack forum they are flagged and removed.
It would help clear up a lot of issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,433

A client recently use them a couple times for installing TV wall mounts and hanging mirrors and stuff...didn't want to bother me since I've been busy.

Well, they ended up with two jack wads, separately, who didn't know the basics and did some damage or strung out the jobs. I ended up there batting clean-up, twice. So there's my competition, I guess.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #16

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

I have gotten 5 or 6 jobs from thumbtack in the past few years including a $60K bathroom/flooring/painting etc job and a $35K steam shower job. That home owner has called us back for additional work several times. The cost to answer a thumbtack was very inexpensive ($10-15 each) but very few of the postings ever contacted you. Recently, they changed the system so you only pay if the homeowner answers you with something more substantial than thanks but no thanks. The cost has gone up to like $50-75 each lead. My last lead was $50 but when I got to the house they decided not to go forward with the project.

Once you answer an ad, you can see the names of the homeowner. I go to the tax records to see if that name actually owns property in that zipcode. Often times, you get real estate agents who are looking for ball park bids for sales purposes. In those cases, I have contacted thumbtack and asked for a credit. No guarantees of getting a credit though.

The cost of answering the ad doesn't always make sense on thumbtack. For example, the homeowner will list remodel bathroom which is like $60-- reasonable to make $5-6K for a full remodel. But when you read what the homeowner posted they only want the tile floor replaced. Not worth $60 to net $400.

Lately, we stopped using thumbtack. We have worked with Menards at putting our pro flyers at the contractor desk and participated in their Contractor Expo. Both are free of charge. We got three bona fide leads from the pro desk last week. Our first night at the contractor expo we got two solid leads, one for a $100k addition and another to remodel three bathrooms in one house. This didn't cost us anything except a bag candy to give out to potential customers. I think we are going to stick with Menards for the time being.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #17

Trade: Brookllyn Plaster Restorations
Rewards Points: 4

Any one noticed that the price of leads has increased by 400%
You will not get a phone number or an email address or any valid type of contact information.

Would some of the moderators from Thumbtack care to provide feedback and clear up some of the issues ,maybe Kameron or Meckell .
Old 01-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,878

A contractor buddy of mine who had reasonable luck with TT dropped them like a hot potato when they were bought out and changed their format . The cost went thru ceiling like you said and phony leads are now the norm.

Advertisement