Any Opinions On Yext.com - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Any Opinions On Yext.com

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Pacific Electric

Trade: Electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Any Opinions On Yext.com

So a guy calls and pitches yext.com
He tells me to google electrician and "find electricians online" is the very forst link that pops up, which is yext.com.
Then one would type the zip code and voila. Your company profile along with a few others pops up. They charge a flat monthly fee and nothing per lead.
I can't find any info on these guys here or on ripoffreport.com

What do you guys think, does this sound like a spinoff of some different scam or could be a good SEM?
www.pacificelectriclv.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Dr Heat

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 306

Re: Any Opinions On Yext.com

I was on Yext for about three months never got a call.

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Do a few searches to find out how long they have been in business.
I would check the BBB and do a domain search to find out how long their web site has been active, sure why to find out if they are a fly by night outfit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Trade: Garage Door Services
Rewards Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificElectric View Post
So a guy calls and pitches yext.com
He tells me to google electrician and "find electricians online" is the very forst link that pops up, which is yext.com.
Then one would type the zip code and voila. Your company profile along with a few others pops up. They charge a flat monthly fee and nothing per lead.
I can't find any info on these guys here or on ripoffreport.com

What do you guys think, does this sound like a spinoff of some different scam or could be a good SEM?
I know this post is old but I would like to post my experience with yext for others looking into purchasing there product.

First of all I got called from a yext guy who talked me into buying a year service for $450, which seemed like a great deal for unlimited leads and the original price was $1000. Later I found out they tried to talk to a friend of mine and offered him $350, my friend didn't go for it.

It is has been almost a year since I paid that $450 and I can safely say I have got a grand total of 0 leads from them. Essentially I paid a company to list me on a bunch of free sites that have little traffic, and I am likely deep down in the system. Like I said, not one lead the entire time. I track my leads and forms of advertising carefully as well as ask my customers where they find me.

Long story short, its a complete waste of money. The only tiny upside is that google likely recognizes that my website and company exists on all these directories and boosts me website ranking, but I don't know if that's true.
The Following User Says Thank You to KJGarage For This Useful Post:
BugmanBCE (05-20-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGarage View Post
I know this post is old but I would like to post my experience with yext for others looking into purchasing there product.

First of all I got called from a yext guy who talked me into buying a year service for $450, which seemed like a great deal for unlimited leads and the original price was $1000. Later I found out they tried to talk to a friend of mine and offered him $350, my friend didn't go for it.

It is has been almost a year since I paid that $450 and I can safely say I have got a grand total of 0 leads from them. Essentially I paid a company to list me on a bunch of free sites that have little traffic, and I am likely deep down in the system. Like I said, not one lead the entire time. I track my leads and forms of advertising carefully as well as ask my customers where they find me.

Long story short, its a complete waste of money. The only tiny upside is that google likely recognizes that my website and company exists on all these directories and boosts me website ranking, but I don't know if that's true.
Another dirty thing they do is that if you try to cancel the auto-renew/subscription feature they remove everything! I paid for a year but no matter when i try to remove it they cancel everything. So now I need to wait a month or so before it renews so i cancel it. Garbage!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Laborer
Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Another dirty thing they do is that if you try to cancel the auto-renew/subscription feature they remove everything! I paid for a year but no matter when i try to remove it they cancel everything. So now I need to wait a month or so before it renews so i cancel it. Garbage!
RIPOFF - run.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Trade: Website Design
Rewards Points: 60

Yext builds citations.

A "citation" online is anywhere your business name, address, and phone number appear. The inclusion of your website is a bonus. Citation sources include YellowPages, AngiesList, SuperPages, etc...

Yext publishes your information to a bunch of these directories. But as another member pointed out, once you stop paying your info goes down.

You can build your own profiles on these sites for free, although it is a little time consuming. It doesn't result in much traffic directly - but it's incredibly important for search engine optimization purposes.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseKemmerer View Post
Yext builds citations.

A "citation" online is anywhere your business name, address, and phone number appear. The inclusion of your website is a bonus. Citation sources include YellowPages, AngiesList, SuperPages, etc...

Yext publishes your information to a bunch of these directories. But as another member pointed out, once you stop paying your info goes down.

You can build your own profiles on these sites for free, although it is a little time consuming. It doesn't result in much traffic directly - but it's incredibly important for search engine optimization purposes.
Yes, after I cancel yext I think I'll find an out of job friend or younger family member a hundred bucks and have them get me on those sites. I would have done that in the first place but yext spouted all this stuff about being partnered with google and yahoo and that it would generate a lot of leads.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

Trade: Website Design
Rewards Points: 60

Yeah you're not going to get many leads out of being on the directories. Like I said though, they're very important for search engines. Here's a list we commonly submit to for our clients:

1. ExpressUpdate 2.
Localeze 3.
Acxiom 4.
Factual 5.
D&B 6.
Citysearch 7.
Bing Places 8.
Yelp 9.
Facebook 10.
Yellowpages 11.
Yahoo! Local 12.
Superpages 13.
Local.com 14.
Foursquare 15.
Chamberofcommerce 16.
Yellowbot 17.
Yellowbook 18.
Kudzu 19.
Merchantcircle 20.
Manta 21.
Mapquest 22.
ShowMeLocal 23.
MojoPages 24.
HotFrog 25.
Brownbook 26.
Cylex-USA 27.
InsiderPages 28.
EZLocal 29.
eLocal 30.
Tupalo 31.
ForLocations 32.
CitySquares 33.
GetFave 34.
2FindLocal 35.
Nokia Here 36.
Yasabe 37.
Angieslist 38.
SaleSpider 39.
FindTheBest 40.
Yellpedia

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure the details business name, address, phone number, fax, website, etc... are all the EXACT same on every directory.
BugmanBCE (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 537

Quote:

Take a look at Jesse's list above. It's a good list of directories. You should never pay to be listed on someone's website. Ever. You can get on thousands for free.

These websites are like blogs. The listings are the content that draws in the web traffic and banner ads are how they make their money. Or at least that's how it ought to be. You should never expect to get an actual customer call from one of these things. All that they are for, should you choose to be on them at all, is a backlink for search engine optimization. Most put you on their directory without your knowledge anyhow.

I see them as vampires. Google should block the darned things. They're useless. I will never go to one when I am personally looking for some service online. All they do is clog up the search results and bump actual legitimate businesses off of the list. I just googled carpenter new york and the local results had businesses but all of the top ten search results were spam sites and directories of one type or another. Yelp, houzz, angieslist, homeadvisor, craigslist, etc. Not a single carpenter.

Advertisement

JesseKemmerer (05-20-2015)