Angie's List And Home Advisor Practice Should Be Illegal - Online Leads Services - Contractor Talk

Angie's List And Home Advisor Practice Should Be Illegal

Old 11-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #1

Trade: Cabinet contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Angie's List And Home Advisor Practice Should Be Illegal

So I have been with Angie's List and Home Advisor for more than 8 years. I pay Angie's List for ads in certain categories and buy leads from Home Advisor in certain high resale value zip codes. Right around June this year I started getting Home Advisor leads marked "via Angie's List" so Angies list appears to be sending me what are garbage leads to me, and sending the good ones to Home Advisor to sell to me. I think it should be illegal. Anyone else been having this happen?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,448

Re: Angie's List And Home Advisor Practice Should Be Illegal

what do you expect when you scoop from the bottom of the septic tank....

Advertisement

avenge (11-15-2019), Calidecks (04-26-2020), cedarboarder (02-23-2020), cwatbay (11-15-2019), pinwheel (11-15-2019), rselectric1 (02-23-2020), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (11-14-2019), tnt specialty (02-22-2020)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,374

Doing the same with me. Called both. Wasn’t thrilled with the answers I got, but I make money off both.

I closed a couple of the HA jobs that had than angies inquiry on it. Has only happened a handful of times. Here is what It looks like for those who are too high end to use these services lol. This is a HA lead I’m charged for. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,715

Translation; Angie’s people are cold calling customers offering/asking for permission to send them 4 FREE quotes. Customer says ok even though they aren’t in the market for Gutters.

You get the lead, you pay for the lead and the company calls it’s good lead.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 322

It seems they are doing more harm than good.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

These lead companies do nothing for us. We have to look at the problem before coming up with a price to fix it. For some other trades, it isn't that hard, but for more technical trades like us, it is.

I don't use them, I seen literally hundreds of posts on CT about how terrible they are, how great they are (for about 10% or less of the CT posters), or, mostly from the newbies or marginal grey area contractors, how good are they????

I think a lot depends on the trade and where you are in the country, or, state.

I actually get better leads off of the web and our sites, and, it's all commercial.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,136

Sounds like a scam to me.

I don't have anything to do with either of them, so my opinion may not mean much. Home Adviser (Advisor? sp) called me a few times. I already knew some contractors that were involved with them. I didn't want to be associated with contractors on that level. I probably went a little overboard on one of the calls, but they never called back.

I'm sure it's different everywhere, but the contractors I see using them are not of the highest quality.
One in particular is doing Home Adviser work, but he can't get on with them, due to his criminal background. His brother gets the leads, then hands them off to him.

These people have no idea who is in their house.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 394

This SNL skit nails it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caleb1989 For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (02-21-2020), cwatbay (11-18-2019), deckman22 (11-17-2019), Kowboy (04-25-2020), MOTB (02-21-2020), rblakes1 (02-23-2020)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
Cranky Old Bastard

Trade: Remodeling and Carpentry
Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Sounds like a scam to me.

I probably went a little overboard on one of the calls, but they never called back.
I think I just did the same thing last week with the fourth or fifth young lady that they have had call me to try and get me to sign up ….

I do usually string them along and tell them late in the afternoon or early evening is the best time to call me so that way I'm done with customers for the day and can keep them on the phone with stupid questions and making them answer about the class action they have against them. And then tell them "well Im not quite ready to make a decision yet so call me next week."

I got this one to call me for like 4 weeks in a row before I dropped the boom on her, maybe now they wont call me back again.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,416

Remember, they are the SAME company. Sign up for one, and you can bet the other knows all the details of what you spend, when you are about to cancel, etc., etc. Then the other brand (but same company) calls as if they do not know anything about you. Amazing how many people treat them like two different businesses. Its one business with two different brands.
tnt specialty (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb1989 View Post
This SNL skit nails it

https://youtu.be/RNmrR8SQ5Z0

This is so funny ... thanks for sharing ... the ending even funnier.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #12

So I was a speaker about Marketing at two recent events, and the lead generation companies had their booths at the show. Each has their own booth strategically positioned so they are able to catch people who may mistakenly miss them. Why not just have 1 booth so not to confused the innocent folk who do not realize that one company is actually many brands?

Anyhow, what always surprises me is the many new folk who always raise their hand in a marketing class, with the eventual question along the lines of "So what do you think about ABC?". These same folks always have either a poor or non-existent website. They have an incomplete Facebook page. They are very weak at the Google My Business,

Usually people say to the audience that they did not have time or money for any of the above. But then they will say "I was spending $500, $750 and even more than 1K, PER MONTH on a lead generation service and was unhappy.

So the same people who do not have money for their own marketing do not view wasting a few K trying a lead gen service, but that could have already been a nice down payment to their own marketing forever.

The lead gen folk luck out on the shortsightedness. Same story from them over and over again at the shows. Nothing new at all to offer the industry, other than them fishing for newbies who do not know better.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,942

I had a great 12-year relationship with HomeAdvisor, but then some Einstien decided that if they couldn't verify my credit requests with customers, they would charge me for the lead anyway.

So I'm signed up for countertops and someone calls me for a swimming pool. I contact HA and tell them of the error. If they can't verify with swimming pool lady, they charged me anyway.

No way. That's stealing. I told them to stop or I'd quit. They decided that the new policy was worth trashing a 12-year relationship and 16K a year in revenue. I hope they burn in Hell. Bastards.

Actually, I am very grateful. I never would have changed my advertising if they hadn't boned me. I'm doing better now than I ever have. Thanks.

Last edited by Kowboy; 02-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
sparehair (02-23-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
I had a great 12-year relationship with HomeAdvisor, but then some Einstien decided that if they couldn't verify my credit requests with customers, they would charge me for the lead anyway.

So I'm signed up for countertops and someone calls me for a swimming pool. I contact HA and tell them of the error. If they can't verify with swimming pool lady, they charged me anyway.

No way. That's stealing. I told them to stop or I'd quit. They decided that the new policy was worth trashing a 12-year relationship and 16K a year in revenue. I hope they burn in Hell. Bastards.

Actually, I am very grateful. I never would have changed my advertising if they hadn't boned me. I'm doing better now than I ever have. Thanks.
You paid them $16k a year?
sparehair (02-23-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post

What did you switch to instead of HA ? Do your reviews with them still show up on google ?

Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 12,164

These lead generators was the last thing this industry needed. Buying clicks and access so some computer whiz can make easy money for all your hard work. And worse.......HO can treat you like a dime a dozen.

My buddy said he did HA and they made him a top rated pro after cashing the first check with literally no history there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
EricBrancard (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #17
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
These lead generators was the last thing this industry needed. Buying clicks and access so some computer whiz can make easy money for all your hard work. And worse.......HO can treat you like a dime a dozen.

My buddy said he did HA and they made him a top rated pro after cashing the first check with literally no history there.

The reviews hold a lot of value to many, as well as the overall rating. A lot of the jobs I get from these two companies are from people who have actually read the reviews. They tell me during the estimate that they’ve read many of them.

Some of the reviews are paragraphs. I have 110 total. 109 are perfect. I wouldn’t buy a product that has an amazing rating but only a couple of comments about it. These sites don’t work for every type of business.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General & Roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 516

Yes, HomeAdvisor acquired Angies List a few years ago. They all might as well be owned by one company - Throw the BBB's in there with them, as well as all the "celebrity" referral shenanigans, trade associations aren't much better. The bottom line is they'll all "pay to play"..... Sadly, the public actually perceives these lead-generating outfits to offer some type of credibility to the participating contractors, when as most of you know, some of the most crooked shysters are enrolled in these scams, (for lack of better words).

So, some, especially start-ups are more or less "forced" to participate, (at minimum to join the local BBB), until such time they can develop a brand of their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to tnt specialty For This Useful Post:
Tom M (02-22-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #19
Kowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
You paid them $16k a year?
Yep. Most cost-effective advertising ever.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #20
Kowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
What did you switch to instead of HA ? Do your reviews with them still show up on google ?

I advertise in a local home improvement magazine that only gets sent to qualified households. Now I spend 30K a year at least.

HA owns your reviews, so instead of quitting them entirely, I just signed up for Fung Shui in one zip code. Seriously. Of course I never get any leads, but people can still read all my reviews because technically I'm still a HA contractor.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (02-23-2020)