Underlayment Under Marble - Page 2 - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Underlayment Under Marble

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
Tile Contractor
 
HS345's Avatar
 
Trade: Ceramic and Natural Stone Tile Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherrodsville, Ohio
Posts: 1,030
Rewards Points: 886

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Actually, you're not.

2x8; 12" OC, 12' span is NOT close.

Last time I'll say it. In this case, marble is not the material to use.
Yep, 12" O.C. only gets to just over L/400. As I said before, he would need to triple sister glue and screw every joist.
__________________
Greg
HS345 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #22
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,265
Rewards Points: 1,144

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Actually, you're not.

2x8; 12" OC, 12' span is NOT close.

Last time I'll say it. In this case, marble is not the material to use.
The nightmare bathroom comes to mind.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
angus242 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
Pro
 
music9704's Avatar
 
Trade: class b contractor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 591

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Ok I must have been reading the calculator wrong. Anyway Its all good. I tell the HO and see what they want to do. If their heart is set we may change the joist to 2x10. I don't think it will be that hard anyway. I just hate telling a HO I can't .....
music9704 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by music9704 View Post
Ok I must have been reading the calculator wrong. Anyway Its all good. I tell the HO and see what they want to do. If their heart is set we may change the joist to 2x10. I don't think it will be that hard anyway. I just hate telling a HO I can't .....
You're better off tripling 2x8.

You also should address the 1/2" subfloor. At 19.2" OC, you will also have big deflection between joists.

I hate that guys are afraid to tell a HO "no". It's your job as a professional to tell the HO (& designers) when they're are going against industry standards. By giving in and risking a failure, nobody comes out on top.
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (04-19-2015), TNTRenovate (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #25
Pro
 
music9704's Avatar
 
Trade: class b contractor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 591

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
You're better off tripling 2x8.

You also should address the 1/2" subfloor. At 19.2" OC, you will also have big deflection between joists.

I hate that guys are afraid to tell a HO "no". It's your job as a professional to tell the HO (& designers) when they're are going against industry standards. By giving in and risking a failure, nobody comes out on top.
1/2" subfloor? There is no plywood down right now. I plan on using 3/4 TG or two layers 5/8 TG. I don't have a problem telling a HO no, after I've exhausted all possible ways. They are paying me to make it happen, If I can I will, not say well its to hard, sorry.
Anyway not to beat a dead horse, but if I added a traditional 2x8 to the
true 2"x 8".
I know today's 2x8 are 7.25- my span is also actually under 12'.

Thank you for using the John Bridge Forums Deflect-O-Lator :-)

For joists that are SYP or Douglas Fir, in good condition, 8 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide, 18 inches on center, and 12 feet long between supports, the deflection calculated is 0.179 inches.

This translates to a deflection of L / 806.

Sin
music9704 is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #26
Pro
 
music9704's Avatar
 
Trade: class b contractor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 591

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


So is this any good?
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

If it's OK and I'm correct it will cost less the $60 plus extra labor.
HO gets what they want, provided they're willing to pay extra cost.
music9704 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #27
Tile Contractor
 
HS345's Avatar
 
Trade: Ceramic and Natural Stone Tile Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherrodsville, Ohio
Posts: 1,030
Rewards Points: 886

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by music9704 View Post
So is this any good?
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

If it's OK and I'm correct it will cost less the $60 plus extra labor.
HO gets what they want, provided they're willing to pay extra cost.
I trust the John Bridge deflection calculator.

3/4" subfloor alone is not enough. Add a layer of 1/2" plywood to that, plus your underlayment, and you're golden.
__________________
Greg
HS345 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HS345 For This Useful Post:
music9704 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Pro
 
music9704's Avatar
 
Trade: class b contractor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 591

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by HS345 View Post
I trust the John Bridge deflection calculator.

3/4" subfloor alone is not enough. Add a layer of 1/2" plywood to that, plus your underlayment, and you're golden.
Thanks.
Back to the original question. What type of ply subfloor- OSB, Advantech, Plywood.
I guessing Advantech or ply. Also type of ply for second layer. BTW. I'm not installing the marble; I'll hire it out. Me and my guys are just doing the framing. My job though.
music9704 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #29
Pro
 
MIKE ANTONETTI's Avatar
 
Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CITRUS COUNTY
Posts: 1,751
Rewards Points: 3,514

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Supposed to be exterior grade glue plywood .

underlayment under marble-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1429569037.491455.jpg
MIKE ANTONETTI is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE ANTONETTI For This Useful Post:
music9704 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #30
Pro
 
GO Remodeling's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,523
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by music9704 View Post
1/2" subfloor? There is no plywood down right now. I plan on using 3/4 TG or two layers 5/8 TG. I don't have a problem telling a HO no, after I've exhausted all possible ways. They are paying me to make it happen, If I can I will, not say well its to hard, sorry.
Anyway not to beat a dead horse, but if I added a traditional 2x8 to the
true 2"x 8".
I know today's 2x8 are 7.25- my span is also actually under 12'.

Thank you for using the John Bridge Forums Deflect-O-Lator :-)

For joists that are SYP or Douglas Fir, in good condition, 8 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide, 18 inches on center, and 12 feet long between supports, the deflection calculated is 0.179 inches.

This translates to a deflection of L / 806.

Sin
Those are some weird dimensional lumber sizes you've got.

Since you say you can use 2x10, double the 2's and set 16" o.c. Add the 3/4 plywood glued and screwed then ditra and tile.
GO Remodeling is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GO Remodeling For This Useful Post:
music9704 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #31
Pro
 
music9704's Avatar
 
Trade: class b contractor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 591

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Quote:
Originally Posted by olzo55 View Post
Those are some weird dimensional lumber sizes you've got.

Since you say you can use 2x10, double the 2's and set 16" o.c. Add the 3/4 plywood glued and screwed then ditra and tile.
yeah It's an old home, back when a 2x8 was 2"x8".. I was able to use 2x10 sister joist, because the original joist were on jacks. I just shot each corner, pulled a line.... We're good, Level floor & ceiling underneath. Blocks between joist @2'oc, 2 layers ply glued screwed. The Tile guy can lay hardie or concrete, whatever he likes best. I've moved on to the second bath, Almost done with it.
Thanks for all the help.
music9704 is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #32
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Glad to hear you took care of it instead of just doing what the client wanted without regards to the materials.
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
music9704 (04-30-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #33
Registered User
 
Thunderlane123's Avatar
 
Trade: commercial flooring. Vct. carpet tile , broadloom , hardwood, concrete staining/sealing..
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 10

Re: Underlayment Under Marble


Make sure you choose your plywood correctly.. Because I quickly realized that the marble needed to breath.. The plywood can absorb moisture could expand or contract, stressing The marble.. Good luck.

Advertisement

Thunderlane123 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Underlayment for marble tile SMLWinds Tiling 10 04-25-2013 06:35 PM
Epoxy for tumbled marble CarpenterSFO Flooring 7 01-19-2013 09:26 AM
Best Epoxy Repair for Marble / Terrazzo We Fix Houses Tiling 0 10-25-2012 04:33 PM
Marble Wall / Floor Grout Maintenance ? We Fix Houses Tiling 4 08-14-2012 12:00 PM
Thin brick adhered to marble? accentstonework Masonry 6 05-27-2011 12:05 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?