Temporary Fix For Gap - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Temporary Fix For Gap

Old 01-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 180

Temporary Fix For Gap

So, I purchased rental property recently of my own. I don't do flooring professionally (just sub it out on anything we do), although I have done basic repair/refinishing on my own rentals. On this unit there are gaps of 1 1/2" under casing apparently due to plaster being removed in rooms and replaced with drywall and apparently smaller moulding at some point in the past. Quarter round hides the rest of the gap except under casing in doorways.

So, I was thinking that cutting back the oak and fitting new pieces in that area under the casing is probably the best way to address this, however, since this is a rental and the floors will have to be refinished when these tenants move out judging the condition when I bought it, I was hoping to just address that when the tenants move out next year.. However debris is getting stuck in those areas and long story short, I need to fix it, even if temporarily.

I'll probably end up cutting small pieces to fit the gaps and slip under moulding, glued in or something to that effect for now, and fix it properly when I refinish floors.

However, I was thinking about it.. I'm aware that most wood fillers will just "pop out" for any gap that big, but, has anyone used some type of mesh or something in small gaps to keep the filler in? If so, what did you end up doing? Less concerned about aesthetics as long as it is "close" to the color. I doubt I'll go this way even if it is viable since it seems it would be a pain to remove when refinishing to repair properly.. but, thought I'd ask so I'm aware of options in the future anyway.

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,836

Re: Temporary Fix For Gap

Pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 346

How many doors? Could you cut the casing legs up a bit and install plinth blocks thick enough to cover?

Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 346

Just re-read. 1" is maybe too big a gap
Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,599

Gaps at floor level, right? The wood filler (the mustard yellow one at flooring suppliers) that floor guys use might still work well enough to get you through. You could even stain it after a couple days.

Or a block and filler combo.

Were thresholds removed? If it's within the doorway, saddles are another option.

Last edited by MarkJames; 01-14-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 250

Another vote for plinth blocks at the bottom of the casing. Use them to allow you to nail a block across the bottom of the jamb gap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,240

If it's just casing then plinth blocks. I'm a little confused how replacement of plaster to drywall makes the casing and base too short?
Old 01-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
If it's just casing then plinth blocks. I'm a little confused how replacement of plaster to drywall makes the casing and base too short?
My guess is there was also 1/4-round prior... 3/4" 1/4-round was more common on older homes back then...
Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Gaps at floor level, right? The wood filler (the mustard yellow one at flooring suppliers) that floor guys use might still work well enough to get you through. You could even stain it after a couple days.

Or a block and filler combo.

Were thresholds removed? If it's within the doorway, saddles are another option.
Floor filler will shrink too much & probably won't hold long term.

I'd give wood bondo a try if you don't want to go to the trouble of plank replacement. Wood bondo will take stain, but starts close in color to natural oak. Ive never used it on that big a gap, I imagine you'll have to go at it in 1 lifts. It sands pretty easy. Takes finish nice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (01-14-2018), SmallTownGuy (01-27-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:

I doubt it's the mouldings are too short, but that the flooring no longer goes to the wall, since the lathe & plaster was removed & replaced with drywall. He's got a gap all the way around the room, but the quarter round hides it everywhere except where the casings are.

Plynth blocks would actually be the quickest long term fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
I doubt it's the mouldings are too short, but that the flooring no longer goes to the wall, since the lathe & plaster was removed & replaced with drywall. He's got a gap all the way around the room, but the quarter round hides it everywhere except where the casings are.

Plynth blocks would actually be the quickest long term fix.
Still confusing you tear out plaster replace with drywall you bring it out flush with the jambs how do you end up with 1-1/2" gap on the casing or the floor? I could see maybe quarter round or other molding taken off and not replaced leaving a gap.

A pic would help.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Still confusing you tear out plaster replace with drywall you bring it out flush with the jambs how do you end up with 1-1/2" gap on the casing or the floor? I could see maybe quarter round or other molding taken off and not replaced leaving a gap.

A pic would help.

Drywall is 1/2" off the studs. Lathe & plaster are probably at least 1". Old base boards were 3/4" thick. New baseboards are 3/8 or 7/16. Floor didn't originally go under the baseboards or if it did, didn't go all the way to the plaster. Old base had quarter round to cover the gap. I've seen the scenario the OP described more than once on rental properties we work on. I usually upsale plank replacement when we refinish the floors.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 180

Looks like when it was re-modeled the studs weren't furred out for the 1/2" drywall, and the plaster+lathe was considerably thicker. All of the moulding is new as well, leaving a gap around the room in the flooring. Quarter round hides the gap except at the door ways. The gap is bigger in some areas than others.

Plinth block might be an option, but, thought it would look out of place due to the depth of the gap.

If I went the filler route, my initial thought was to sink a few drywall screws, sticking up from subfloor planks but 1/4" below the finished floor to give the wood filler something to "hold onto", and doing it in 2 layers.. Or maybe putting some kind of wire mesh square in there also. bottom layer with cheaper wood filler, top layer with timbermate to more closely match the flooring. Probably not the best idea though.

Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Temporary fix for gap-20180114_194020.jpg  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,599

Peel back the bottom of the casing, then drop blocks of hardwood floor (3/4" thick) in there and call it a day. (When you refinish, they stay)

Last edited by MarkJames; 01-14-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Log home builder
Rewards Points: 454

Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 250

Rental? Cut the casing at the height of the qtr round and extend the qtr round out to the end.

Take a pic and post it to the wall of shame.

Go home and have a few drinks to wash away the memory of what you did.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #17

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 8

adding some plinth blocks will be the easiest fix. But might look odd if you don't add them everywhere else too.

Advertisement