Super Wide Plank Engineered Installation Best Practices - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Super Wide Plank Engineered Installation Best Practices

Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 4

Super Wide Plank Engineered Installation Best Practices

I want to install engineered plank flooring in my own home. It is 3/4" thick European (live sawn), 11 1/4" wide with a 6 mil wear layer.

This will be the largest flooring job I've done to date, and want it to be right. The manufacturer doesn't send specific installation directions, they just say reference NWFA guidelines, which is unclear for super wide plank installations.

This product will be installed above grade, over an unconditioned basement, over a plywood sub floor.

I am leaning toward adhesive assisted nailing. 18" vapor barrier running perpendicular to the flooring, with a 3/4 gap between rows of barrier and running a bead of adhesive down these rows, and then nailing the tongues. I want to start in the middle of the floor and go one direction, and then use a spline and reverse, and go the other direction.

Do you guys recommend this, or a different installation, and what products do you recommend? Including vapor barrier, and adhesive?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Flawless Flooring

Trade: Hardwood Floor Installer/Refinisher
Rewards Points: 32

Re: Super Wide Plank Engineered Installation Best Practices

You have some very nice material there, you're right, you want it to be right - the first time! Sounds like you've done your research here, because that's exactly how we install our wide products (anything 6" and over gets "glue assist"). However, you're dealing with some VERY wide material. To be safe, I would full trowel glue this floor down, as well as nail it in. Pain in the ass yes, but you can walk away from that job with full confidence. I like to use Taylors MSPlus+ for doing glue downs, easy cleanup.

For all our glue-assist jobs, we use Bona glue in a sausage tube. And the vapor barrier is Aquabar.

Good luck

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to FFlooring For This Useful Post:
Repede Emil (03-12-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 4

The flooring unfinished is around 5.80 a foot, which I think is a bargain considering what you get... What would the downsides be comparing full glue down vs the glue assist? worst case is I get squeaks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 474

Sounds like engineered. Your install is way overkill for engineered, even wide plank. Basically it's just pretty plywood, it's not going to move much.