Suggested Underlayment For 3/8" Engineered Over Painted OSB? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Suggested Underlayment For 3/8" Engineered Over Painted OSB?

Old 05-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #1

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 8

Suggested Underlayment For 3/8" Engineered Over Painted OSB?

I am in the process of installing a 3/8" engineered hickory 5" plank over 3/4" OSB in our personal home and I hope these don't seem like ridiculous questions but here goes....

Home is a 2 story with an unfinished and relatively humid / moist (not standing water wet) basement under the main level.

The home was purchased as a foreclosure and was in pretty bad shape. We planned to live in it while renovating and the first thing we did was to remove all the flooring goods that were badly damaged and outdated (carpets and vinyls) in the home.

We then painted all the exposed sub-flooring with BEHR Porch Paint (Home Depot) to allow for a decent workable living surface while we pursued the renovations.

The home is now ready for hardwood throughout.

On the second level we planned to use Red Rosin over the painted OSB under the hardwood and in areas were we have a a few low spots in the sub-floor we planned to shim with 30# felt (such as at the top of the stairs where there is a slight low area).

On the first floor since its over the unfinished basement there was concern for a possible need to install a vapor barrier in exchange for rosin paper...

1. Do you think the Porch Paint would act as a vapor barrier on the main level over the basement or should we go ahead and install
the Aquabar product over the painted OSB instead of using the rosin there? - Or should we use Felt paper on the main level to add SOME vapor protection in conjunction with the Painted OSB?

2. If the porch paint will act to some extent as a vapor barrier will adding Aquabar (or felt) over top of that create a situation were moisture could accumulate BETWEEN the painted surface of the OSB and the underlayment...possibly causing mold growth or other problems?

3. Has anyone had an off-gassing experience from using Auqubar (long term smell reports from clients)?

4. Has anyone had an off-gassing experience from using Felt Paper (long term smell reports from clients)?

Any suggestion you guys can give would be most appreciated...we just want to make the best choice for underlayment on both floors of the home and we want to make sure the Porch Paint won't effect anything we use.

Last edited by Wyndgate; 05-31-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Re: Suggested Underlayment For 3/8" Engineered Over Painted OSB?

1. I would address the moisture issues, rather than trying to trap it below the hardwood.

2. Paint does as as a vapor barrier, but am not sure if aqua bar over it would be much of an issue.

3. Moisture concerns need addressed with a moisure meter first, then determine protocol.

4. I've never smelled it after the floor was installed.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,444

Smells pretty homeownery in here

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-04-2015), CO762 (06-02-2015), slowsol (06-03-2015), tenon0774 (06-01-2015), TNTRenovate (06-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 01:51 AM   #4
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Aren't you a general contractor. What your company web address?
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Oh I agree. Every general contractor I know has been in a home with recently install hardwood and would know if it smells or not.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,140

Aquabar.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
lol, what, first post, right in the subforum that they have a "how do I?" question?
Nah. A professional 'general' that has never done this nor had any of their subs do this or never had a shop do it....

Personally, I think all non solid surface flooring discussions should be banned from this website. That'd get rid of a lot of cheap HOs coming here.....
Well, upon further review, carpeting is allowed.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoffer View Post
Aquabar.
allahu akbar to you too.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 8

Thank philcav7 for the replay. And to the rest of you other bashers - thanks allot!! Unreal that I'd get those kind of responses just for asking a question amongst other tradesmen and contractors.

We've been contracting for the past 6 years and quite honestly we have never ever used anything but rosin paper under any of our hardwood installs and quite frankly I have never been in a home that has been hardwood throughout that was installed with felt OR Auquabar (Auquabar new to us and most of the contractors in our area use rosin and 2 of which we know use nothing), otherwise I would not of asked.

This will also be the first instance we are installing over painted OSB.

As stated this is a personal home install. We flip about 4-5 houses a year and this one we have been living in for over a year.

Again thanks philcav7 for your response.

CO762 - How many times have you installed over painted OSB throughout an entire house???
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Hair Splitter

Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndgate View Post
Thank philcav7 for the replay. And to the rest of you other bashers - thanks allot!! Unreal that I'd get those kind of responses just for asking a question amongst other tradesmen and contractors.

We've been contracting for the past 6 years and quite honestly we have never ever used anything but rosin paper under any of our hardwood installs and quite frankly I have never been in a home that has been hardwood throughout that was installed with felt OR Auquabar (Auquabar new to us and most of the contractors in our area use rosin and 2 of which we know use nothing), otherwise I would not of asked.

This will also be the first instance we are installing over painted OSB.

As stated this is a personal home install. We flip about 4-5 houses a year and this one we have been living in for over a year.

Again thanks philcav7 for your response.

CO762 - How many times have you installed over painted OSB throughout an entire house???
How do we know your a fellow contractor? What's the company name? Got a website? Simple questions.

My company is Tried & True Services, Inc. out of Naperville IL.

www.triedntrueservices.com

See pretty easy.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

Paint peels, not sure of Perm rating, I would use anything but Rosin. aquabar or asphalt paper would be my choice.

Who really gives a flip what the haters say? Dam watchdogs don't know who to Bite. Well Bite me!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndgate View Post
When I do flooring, I only do dos equis. OK, solid surface, but I'm sitting on a bunch of painted particle board so I can partly commiserate.

This is your first time here, so you don't know this, but a lot of times non contractors come here and lie about being a contractor and their first post is "how do I?" I don't like liars and as their questions are pretty basic, I don't care for people too lazy to read directions or expend a little energy and buy a "how to tile" book, which usually both will answer their basic questions regarding tile. Tile and fake wood are the two big "how do I?" one post threads that I see.

So are you in the trades or are a fix/flipper? Or both?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE ANTONETTI View Post
Well Bite me!
allahu aquabar
Old 06-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Pro

Good to see some temper, some think better, shake off cobwebs, just depends how you handle it, will you use it to gain further understanding, improve yourself? Just a few hurdles in life.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Pro

Old 06-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE ANTONETTI View Post
Paint peels, not sure of Perm rating, I would use anything but Rosin. aquabar or asphalt paper would be my choice.

Who really gives a flip what the haters say? Dam watchdogs don't know who to Bite. Well Bite me!
You prefer asphalt over rosin? I know its done both ways, both as a vapor barrier and as a gliding surface and anti squeak.

Thing is, I always felt that asphalt would be worse for air quality.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
Pro

Are there studies out that say levels are too high? I am unaware of that. Most homes are not airtight.

Right now I'm concerned about my wife's e cigarette, no more going outside for the real deal.

Advertisement