Solid Hickory Planks - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Solid Hickory Planks

Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 12

Solid Hickory Planks

hello all, I come to the best for advise. long story short. bought a house, included is 2400 sq' of solid hickory 3/4" 4" wide (master artisan brand). this will be installed in every room except bathrooms. house is an open layout in the Chicagoland area (typical Midwestern winters, cold/dry and summers). the house has a lot of large windows (floor to ceiling) and sliding glass doors. hvac vents are in the floor. the majority of the house has basement underneath and the remainder is crawlspace (neither of which have issue with dampness.) I have installed hickory before in dens and front rooms but not on this scale. given the nature of hickory in regards to humidity/moisture I am wondering if I'm setting myself up for a life of headaches. any advise is of course greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 322

Re: Solid Hickory Planks

Climate control is key to hardwood floor, especially hickory. Keep consistent humidity year round & you'll have no issues. If you open windows in spring & fall, expect expansion/contraction issues from time to time.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #3

Yeah, that’s the problem, it’s a wooded area so it’s perfect for having the windows open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,520

use to live in Delaware and had forced air (fuel oil) heat which would dry the solid wood flooring out in my drafty 80yo house. the gaps in the flooring would fluctuate wildly between seasons; had I stayed, a humidifier would have been installed to try to balance the seasons.

point-watch the humidity levels and compensate to create homeostasis.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #5

looks like ill be updating the HVAC too. thanks guys