Should We Frame Flooring Joists? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Should We Frame Flooring Joists?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Trade: Painting & Decorating
Rewards Points: 10

Should We Frame Flooring Joists?

Hi,

I hope somebody can help. I currently have a builder in replacing our old wooden garage with a brick extension on the side of our house. All is well, walls are up, roof on etc. BCO is happy enough.

Now we are at the stage of laying the flooring joists. A 6inch breeze block wall has been constructed around the room (and down the middle) to support the weight of the joists. The builder is suggesting that the flooring joists simply sit on top of this without being bolted down, using the actual floor panels to hold them in place.

From my limited experience, I expected there to be a wooden 'frame' fixed around the walls of the room and the joists to be secured to this.

Can anybody tell me whether the frame is necessary? If not, is it acceptable to simple rely on the weight of the floor to hold joists in place? To me, it sounds like I'd end up with a very creaky floor!

Thanks
David

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Re: Should We Frame Flooring Joists?

I would ask the builder for an explanation.

I gather that this is no longer a garage?

People used to set joists directly on or in masonry, but modern framing doesn't call for this anymore. Today, the joist are set on a pressure treated plate. This simply gives us something to attach the joists to.

In the case of a roof, it keeps the entire roof from blowing away as well.

Regarding the floor of a structure in a non-windy area, I suppose it is not going to blow away. It may still collapse, so we use a 'rim joist' on the outside to keep the perpendicular joists from falling over. Of course the floor sheathing helps with this as well. You can put blocking in between each and every floor joist in place of a rim joist. It is a lot more labor. Or you can just use blocking close to the ends. I would miss something solid to attach the sheathing and siding to.

Good luck and let us know what the BOC is and what your builder comes up with.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
DavidReid1985 (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Should We Frame Flooring Joists?

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook