Removing Dents In New Hardwood Floor - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Removing Dents In New Hardwood Floor

Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Removing Dents In New Hardwood Floor

Doing a floor and kitchen cabinet remodel. The downfall is the homeowner is living in the house while we try to do this. 1200 square of hardwood floor (OAK prefinish nail down). HO being there also means lots of furniture moving back and forth so no paper or cardboard protection during install.
Problem is this. We laid out cardboard runners to roll the fridge out of the kitchen area to finish wood floor and in doing so it appears the wheels of the fridge are riding on the outer edges of the wheels instead of flat to surface and left railroad tracks across the new floor. YIKES!!!

Owner is not to worried about it but it bothers me. I have started useing a steam iron and wet towel to try to lift the grain, with some success. Looking for any other ideas to help raise the wood grain back up

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,123

Re: Removing Dents In New Hardwood Floor

Steam it out like you are doing or sand it out. Those are your two easy choices.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
neolitic (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 94

Steaming it out is a good way to cause finish failure & potentially void the warranty on a prefinished floor. The only real solutions is to replace the damaged boards. It's really not that hard to do. Length cut 2 cuts per board with your skill saw to remove. On replacement boards, remove the tonge & put a 10-15 degree back bevel on the tongue side. Cut to length & use a little construction adhesive below them to hold them down. Personally, I like bostiks best in the tube for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,123

I missed the prefinished part.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Flooring & Remodeling

We always use masonite when rolling a fridge or any other heavy objects across wood floors. I buy a 4 x 8 sheet 1/4" thick for $10. Cut into half & put one in front of the other. It has saved me from all the bull with soft bamboo or thin 5/16 or 3/8" wood which you problably installed.

I make good money repairing damage like this due to painters or plumbers. I charge $350 to $550 to cut out the damaged wood & re-install. The only right way to fix it is to cut it out & replace.

We also use masonite when rolling hevy objects across tile like travertine or slate which cracks easy. Prevention is also the easiest solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to finaltouchfloor For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaltouchfloor View Post
We always use masonite when rolling a fridge or any other heavy objects across wood floors. I buy a 4 x 8 sheet 1/4" thick for $10. Cut into half & put one in front of the other. It has saved me from all the bull with soft bamboo or thin 5/16 or 3/8" wood which you problably installed.

I make good money repairing damage like this due to painters or plumbers. I charge $350 to $550 to cut out the damaged wood & re-install. The only right way to fix it is to cut it out & replace.

We also use masonite when rolling hevy objects across tile like travertine or slate which cracks easy. Prevention is also the easiest solution.

yep, yep, yep, I agree. We do the same. Masonite or luan. If I need a long runner, I keep a spare roll of quietwalk in the trailer & roll it out, then lift the heavy object with my piano dollies & roll it right down the runner & into place.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

I got you all beat...I use an airsled

Seriously, I'm in agreement. Only way to truly fix it is plank replacements and an ounce of prevention goes a helluva long way on pre-finished hardwood. It scratches and dents with an angry look.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

get yourself a set of those appliance slides the appliance installers use them all the time. they work great, cardboard is way too soft.
sorry about your damage, i'd suggest cutting out the boards and installing new ones.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #9

Trade: General Contractor

The HO doesnt want to bother with replacing the damaged boards. The fridge was a small fridge but the problem discovered after the fact was the wheels are rideing on the outside edges on not on the whole wheel like it should. I do agree about a masonite type product being used. We did not have it on hand and the small fridge was the only appliance that needed to be moved the way it did and truely felt it was not a problem. Wont make that mistake ever again.

The area we test steamed worked rather well and did not damage the prefinish. That was part of my fear when we walked in this morning. The product is 3/4" solid oak.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

masonite is too thick. these heavy plastic appliance strips are heavy duty and work wonders. the first time i saw them was several years ago and I knew I had to get some. last thing i'd want to do is scratch a floor i just put down. you can use them for all sorts of appliances and they are thin enough that it rolls right up on to. masonite is ok if you have nothing else but it's still thick enough to give you trouble with a heavy appliance getting it up over the lip edge.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Floors
Rewards Points: 594

The right way to do it is to patch the boards and sand the floor

Advertisement