Question About Floating Wood Flooring - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Question About Floating Wood Flooring

Old 01-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question About Floating Wood Flooring

Ok, this is my first time working with floating wood flooring, now I know the type of flooring to get, what I need help with is underlayment. Im not sure what would be good for area im working in. What im doing is replacing the carpets on the first floor of a normal house with floating wood flooring. theres a basement below and every thing seems good and dry. under the carpeting is old tongue & groove flooring. some of its painted, and the unpainted parts is a bit splintery. and the boards are a bit uneven. what id like to know is what underlayment I should use and how thick it should be. I came across some stuff that looks good but it doesnt give enough info for a sloid choice. I really like the underlayment I came across called Quietwalk. but I can only find it in 1/8 incl thickness and im not sure if its thinck enough. does that matter or should I go for something like rubber or cork. or does anyone have any recommendations on underlayment. I really like the everything the the Quietwalk has and it seems it would be great for the house its going in. anyway, any help and info would be greatly appreciate. well thats it for now, thank you for your time and for any help. any questions just ask.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Question About Floating Wood Flooring

Ok. You're making this too difficult on yourself. What you need to do first is choose the brand of flooring you want and then follow the instructions on the box. If you want to deviate from those instructions call the manufacturer's toll free number. Your application should be a piece of cake.

Oh, many times your dealer will be able to help you pick the right products for your flooring installation and make good recommendations for your application.

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Go with the padding that the specific manufacturer recommends, this holds any warranties.

I suggest getting rid of any imperfections with the sub floor before you continue with the new. These floors arenít made to span over hills and valleys in a floor. The padding will not act as a damper for these areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #4

I'm just kind of wondering what hardwood floor is currently in your house. You know, most fir flooring in these old homes can be refinnished to look really nice. If this is a rental, the contractor can finish it with a user friendly finish that you can easily maintain yourself.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #5

Heh, I didnt even know that they would have that kind of info right with the flooring, Ill have to check that out first chance I get. And to redo the original flooring thats there would either be a real lot of money or just impossable when you get down to it. either way everyone agreed that something like a floating wood application would be better. And as for the condition of the floor, well, this is one of those old houses build a long time ago for miners back in the mining days, alot has been added since then and by far its not a crap house but its not top of the line either, and its had a few owners. any way the floor isnt terrible or really uneven, and some people ive talked to that has done this stuff before and what not, said a thicker underlayment might be better for my condition. Oh and just incase, im not trying to put a small bandaid on a flesh wound here, the old floors are still dry, strong, and not rotted at all. there just not that great looking any more. well, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your help so far on this.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #6

I've refinnished some pretty narly fir floors and they all turned out better than when we first started. They have to be really, really bad for a refinnish not to improve them.

One we did in a burned out beer warehouse. The new owner was turning it into a restaraunt so our job was to sand all the char off the 2x10 planks. Turned out pretty good overall. Yours isn't that bad is it?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #7

heh, i'll admit, its no where near that bad. But I am having a bit of a difficult time explaning the exact condition of the floor. thats a proplem I have. any way, how much did it cost to redo a floor like that. and I did take a gander at one of the boxes of flooring. it didnt have any real info on what type of underlayment to use, it just says to use a typr of vaper barrier. But so far I think im just gonna get that quitewalk stuff. It sounds good for where its gonna go, i just wanted a bit of info before I go to far.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: hardwood floors

the sub-floor may rot out if you put plastic on it. It will draw the moisture through and get trapped under your floating floor. So if the quiet walk stuff has platic in it I dont know what to say.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #9

never thought of that, good to know, but as far as I know theres no plastic in the underlayment I mentioned earlier.

well I was gonna post a link but im not allowed yet I just found out, just google Quitewalk underlayment, and youll com across it if you dont already know what im talking about

well anyway, thank you all for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

An easy way to check your floor is with a stringline. Start in one corner and work the line around the room, find the highest point and install a push pin. Attach the string to the pin and recheck the room with the line. Anyplace that is out more than 3/16" needs to be dealt with.

There is more to it than this but it will get you started. A FLAT floor is a different subject.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #11

Hey thanks, thats a good idea.

Advertisement