Offset Drain In Shower??? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Offset Drain In Shower???

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Trade: Trim Carpenter /Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 10

Offset Drain In Shower???

I have a shower to tile and have a drain centered at 11" x 17". The overall size of finished base will be 61" x 35". If I use the 1/4" p.f. slope I'll have a rise of 1" to center of drain. If I keep the perimeter around the base level then I have a steep drop to drain from the 11" center side. I am using 4x4 tiles for the base but with this drastic drop to drain from one side makes me wonder if the tile will be hard to place without something looking out of whack. What do any of you guys have for suggestions or do you think this can work. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Tile Pro - Consulting

Trade: Tile Contractor-Manufacturers rep. Tile & Marble
Rewards Points: 352

Re: Offset Drain In Shower???

First of all you should measure to the furthest corner which will make it further. The 1/4" per ft. is minimum, 3/8" is better. You're right the other end will be too steep. That's why you need to move the drain to the center.

You mentioned you're using 4x4" tiles. What kind of 4x4, not regular ceramic I hope.

Jaz

Advertisement

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE - PERLATO SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - NAXOS - others, Slabs - Tiles - Custom - [email protected]
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. The problem with the drain is it cannot be moved. Am dealing with a concrete floor in a three story condo. There is no way that I can change what is there. Yes you are right about the furthest corner measurement but it is not that significant only gaining a few inches. The tile for the base is tumbled marble and the drain will be a 4x4 square style. I was thinking that I could drop the slope (that is making it slightly out of level around the perimeter to try to create a slighter slope at the short end). I know that it will show on the wall tile that it is not level but using the entire length of the base I thought that I could make the slope lesser thereby easing the change at the drain side wall. If you have any other ideas I would appreciate hearing what you can offer. I don't anticipate any standing water in the base. I am using a PVC liner with Durock walls. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Well if the drain is not movable, you have 2 choices:
1) Deal with the uneven first row.
2) Offset the pitches. Do 1/4"/ft on the long end and compensate to the short side by steepening the pitch.

Also, I also recommend to my customers to not use natural stone in a shower, especially on the base.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #5

What do you mean by steepening the pitch on the short side? The drain is at the 35" width wall how do I make that steeper? Here in Florida that is all people want for tile in their showers. The walls are going to be 3x6 subway tile. The floor is going to be what it is; their mind is made up and the tile was free. Believe me, I tried to talk them out of using the marble and go with a non-skid tile (2x2) but no was the answer. Thanks for Help!