Non-slip Epoxy Garage Floor - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Non-slip Epoxy Garage Floor

Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,622

Non-slip Epoxy Garage Floor

I have done several epoxy floors but I have never been happy when using non-slip additives.
I am looking at a residential garage, customer wants epoxy floor with color flakes added. They keep their car in the garage and wash their car in the garage.

Generally when I do epoxy I use Armorseal 1000 (solvent base) A and B components. Two coats with flakes broadcast over the wet second coat. I then seal over the flakes with clear Rexthane sealer - two coats.

Reason for the sealer is to lock down the flakes so hot tires don't lift them and for UV protection when overhead doors are open.

My concerns are the sealer will make for a slick floor when they wash their car in the garage. My experiences with adding slip resistance (shark grip) to the sealer is the finished result is not to my liking, either the floor turns out too dull and cloudy and the shark grip shows lap marks where the roller overlaps, usually both.

Does anyone have experience adding shark grip to the second coat of epoxy and sealing over it? (this is what SW product hotline is suggesting)

Gladly open to other suggestions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,762

Re: Non-slip Epoxy Garage Floor

If you go heavy with the flake, shouldn't be a slip issue. Armorseal 1K is a waterborne urethane vs the 8100 being epoxy.

I'm getting ready to do a small garage of my own and SW spec'd 8100 and if I wanted flake, to seal it with the 1K...curious to know your feelings on this.

PS. I don't think I'm doing flake so sharkbite was on my list as well to give me some traction...I'll be following this one.

Silica/blasting sand would probably be the next option as it's what I use for Vulkem deck coating...urethane as well.

Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Pro

Armorseal 1000 and Armorseal 1K are two different products.

I have used the 8100 which as you say is water based and sealed with clear 8100 but I believe the 8100 can not withstand hot tires on it, also there will be no UV protection, if that is an issue.

I will no longer use Armorseal 1K, it's been nothing but grief, as you say it is not an epoxy anyway.

My customer specifically wants a light flake finish, heavy flake could help with slip resistance. As I understand it the floors with 100% flake coverage are a polymer which I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 10-16-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

hmmmmm. are you scraping the floor after adding the flake? you need to scrape in each direction to knock down any flakes standing on end that may become sharp and cut feet. Then squeegie on a coat of poly aspartic or polyurethane or aliphatic urethane. i dont suggest 2 coats of any of the urathanes unless your recoat time is in 2 hours or less.

The urethanes are really too thin to add shark grit without mixing it in the product, but doing it that way does cause an uneven spread. You can always broadcast the shark grit on top of the sealer as you seal and hope it has enough time to sink in, but if you are doing two coats of sealer, just broadcast on top of the first one and then do your final seal. imo, the shark grit gets kicked off after time. A light to medium flake should provide plenty of nonskid, but why not broadcast the nonskid with the flake. epoxy is thick enough to hold the non skid in place for way longer than sealers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
dprimc (12-28-2018), Ohio painter (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post

I have used the 8100 which as you say is water based and sealed with clear 8100 but I believe the 8100 can not withstand hot tires on it, also there will be no UV protection, if that is an issue.
Well i must correct myself, spoke with my paint rep today about this project. Armorseal 8100 can be driven on and hold up to hot tires. Any clear coat offers no UV protection, on solid color Rexthane offers UV protection.

So in that case i most likely will go with using the 8100 as it is just so much easier to work with in a residential enviroment.

Mandrina, for this project the customer has specifically requested a very light flake, not enough to scrape. I am being told to mix shark grip in the second coat of epoxy, add flake, then seal.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

Eh, I don't like mixing it in but a lot of people do it like that. You e prob figured it out by now anyway. So how did it turn out

Advertisement