Need To Bring Down Mc ASAP - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Need To Bring Down Mc ASAP

Old 12-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 8

Need To Bring Down Mc ASAP

I need to install some maple flooring that a homeowner purchased. It was milled up locally about ten years ago and was stored in a storage unit until about four weeks ago. It’s been in the heated home with fans and a dehumidifier and is stuck around 12% while the subfloor is 6%. Is there any way to speed things up or some fancy underlayment I don’t know about? The flooring is variable width. About 1000 sq ft

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,599

Re: Need To Bring Down Mc ASAP

Time is your friend unless you want it to warp or crack. Is it still in the package? Is it wrapped in plastic? How is stacked? Have you checked the moisture of other hardwoods in the room? If they have actual hardwood trim or casing or baseboards check that then report back. Also, I would be hesitant to use a dehumidifier.

Is the local mill still operating? You might give them a call and see if they’ll run it through their kiln again.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Need To Bring Down Mc ASAP

Thanks, it was just banded, not wrapped. I popped the bands on Thursday and stickered it. The trim and paneling in the house is poplar and redwood, both reading similar to the flooring actually. Unfortunately the mill closed a while back.