Mohawk Homestead Retreat Engineered Flooring - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Mohawk Homestead Retreat Engineered Flooring

Old 09-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor/Remodel
Rewards Points: 136

Mohawk Homestead Retreat Engineered Flooring

I'm a general contractor, not a flooring guy. Looking to put in engineered hardwood in my house and went today to look at samples and the wife and I both like the Mohawk Homestead Retreat in heirloom hickory.
https://www.mohawkflooring.com/engin...irloom-Hickory

Slab on grade, going to glue down. Any experience/feedback? What's the word on the new TecWood they are doing? Looks like MDF, but supposedly using waterproof glues and is supposed to be stronger and more dent resistant. I'm a little dubious, just looking for a little first hand insight.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 362

Re: Mohawk Homestead Retreat Engineered Flooring

Quick question why glue down slab on grade ?, when there are lots of tile that's looks good and perform better ? slab on grade.

I have installed Mohawk flooring and never had a problem, but that said the problem I have with all the wood flooring is the thickness of the top layer (the stuff you look at) its not much more than a photograph of wood.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor/Remodel
Rewards Points: 136

Re: Mohawk Homestead Retreat Engineered Flooring

True on the thickness in many cases for the wear layer. It does come down to what the wear layer consists of too if I'm not mistaken, aluminum oxide finishes are very tough and durable. Looking at another brand as well and the wear layer is a good 4mm thick. As to why glue down on slab? Don't want the hollow sound, could save a bunch and go laminate or vinyl plank if I wanted that, but want the real wood feel. Tile? Sure, but hate the grout, is much colder and echoey and I have all the tools to do wood. Wood is so much more comforting and there's simply no replacement for it.