Laminate Flooring Question - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Laminate Flooring Question

Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 748

Laminate Flooring Question

Last week I go to screw off 1/4 inch luan under layment installed by others I drove almost 400 screws in about 288 sq ft.

Home Depot to do install of flooring, materials on site flooring, soft cushion vapor barrier, Then about 12 packets of 3/8 backer rod and 10 tubes of GE caulk, what is the backer for and all that caulk?.

All this was delivered as part of the flooring package along with 1/4 round, there are no base boards in the home unless you consider the unpainted uncut uninstalled bundle on the floor, why 1/4 round ? it just seems like this is what we use when we do our floors.

There is more to this story I will start a thread in general discussion.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 128

Re: Laminate Flooring Question

Home Depot installs the floor and the trim. Check your invoice for what you bought. Salesman may have oversold you things you don't need. As I recall, they don't even caulk the trim. Caulk, paint, touch up is on the customer.
As for the backer... No reason for it.
On the luan, you could gave used a few tubes of construction glue with a 1/4" crown stapler. Staple the hell out if it. Would have taken 30 minutes.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 720

Maybe they glue the backer rod for an expansion around perimeter? Keeps the seams from separating while still allowing expansion? 1/4" quarter round seems awfully small. I've never seen luan anything but crown stapled.

Is this in a wet area? If so backer rod and caulk would be to seal kinda dumb unless it's waterproof laminate.

Last edited by avenge; 11-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
sparehair (11-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 128

Oh ya, I forgot about that pergo laminate that HD sells. They say it is only waterproofed if you perimeter silicone it.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,663

The quarter round part is easy. Those floors are supposed to "float", and they expand and contract, so you never butt the edges tight against anything. The quarter round is to cover that gap at the edges.

I've never used backer rod or silicone for that type of floor.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
Pro

As there are no base boards installed the 1/4 round is not needed, when the base is installed it will hide the gap, there is no where near enough backer rod to do the whole job around the perimeter and the thought of caulking the gap horrifies me.

I have been installing floating floors since the early 2000's and still have the blue Pergo spacers along with the nice taping block with the handle from Pergo, I am at a loss for these extras I have installed the so called water proof floors but how backer rod and caulk makes them water proof is beyond me surely all the seams need a bead of some sort of sealer ?.

Still wondering

The luan was stapled down but no glue so when it was taped on it was like a drum skin that's why I drove so many screws.

Last edited by sunkist; 11-22-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: A litttle more info
Old 11-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
As there are no base boards installed the 1/4 round is not needed, when the base is installed it will hide the gap, there is no where near enough backer rod to do the whole job around the perimeter and the thought of caulking the gap horrifies me.

I have been installing floating floors since the early 2000's and still have the blue Pergo spacers along with the nice taping block with the handle from Pergo, I am at a loss for these extras I have installed the so called water proof floors but how backer rod and caulk makes them water proof is beyond me surely all the seams need a bead of some sort of sealer ?.

Still wondering

This is all the least of your worries after eating that glue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
sunkist (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Oh, didn't catch that baseboard was going to be placed after install.

Sounds like a typical box store cluster. I did those for a couple of years a while back; glad I got out of that.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Oh, didn't catch that baseboard was going to be placed after install.

Sounds like a typical box store cluster. I did those for a couple of years a while back; glad I got out of that.
But are you scribing base to a vinyl floor?

Around here the only time we skip shoe moulding is on cabinets and we scribe the toe kick/base to the floor.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
Good point. I've done it, but generally that isn't in the budget for vinyl.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Pro

Do you think the installer for Home Depot leaves any unused caulk or backer rod after the install is done or puts it in is truck and returns it and gets a merchandise card/store credit, his little bonus on the job care of a unknowing home owner
cedarboarder (11-23-2018)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
Pro

So we did the install this week, the instructions on the box's of flooring it said to install a bead of caulk then the backer rod another bead of caulk on top then install baseboard.

I understand the backer rod acting as a shock absorber/cushion but I can not see what a bead of caulk on top and on the bottom does ?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Last week I go to screw off 1/4 inch luan under layment installed by others I drove almost 400 screws in about 288 sq ft.

Home Depot to do install of flooring, materials on site flooring, soft cushion vapor barrier, Then about 12 packets of 3/8 backer rod and 10 tubes of GE caulk, what is the backer for and all that caulk?.

All this was delivered as part of the flooring package along with 1/4 round, there are no base boards in the home unless you consider the unpainted uncut uninstalled bundle on the floor, why 1/4 round ? it just seems like this is what we use when we do our floors.

There is more to this story I will start a thread in general discussion.
Good chance the floor is a "waterproof" laminate product which requires a backer rod installation and a silicone sealer for proper installation.

NVM, just read where someone else spotted it.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
So we did the install this week, the instructions on the box's of flooring it said to install a bead of caulk then the backer rod another bead of caulk on top then install baseboard.

I understand the backer rod acting as a shock absorber/cushion but I can not see what a bead of caulk on top and on the bottom does ?
It is a "waterproof" product that requires the perimeter to be sealed.
These floors are sealed around the entire plank during manufacturing but are most susceptible along the perimeter where end cuts are made, exposing the fiberboard core (which wouldn't be sealed). This could lead to potential failure of the product and void the manufacturer's warranty should topical moisture from a spill or moisture from a leak adjacent to the installation area reach the exposed edge.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorFreak View Post
It is a "waterproof" product that requires the perimeter to be sealed.

These floors are sealed around the entire plank during manufacturing but are most susceptible along the perimeter where end cuts are made, exposing the fiberboard core (which wouldn't be sealed). This could lead to potential failure of the product and void the manufacturer's warranty should topical moisture from a spill or moisture from a leak adjacent to the installation area reach the exposed edge.
So if the installer sealed the cuts, would the perimeter need to be sealed?

Reason I'm asking, is I'm going to be installing LVP in a couple rooms in my house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcat View Post
So if the installer sealed the cuts, would the perimeter need to be sealed?

Reason I'm asking, is I'm going to be installing LVP in a couple rooms in my house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
In the case of the waterproof laminate, I would say yes because it's in the installation guidelines to do so. Water/Moisture travels through the path of least resistance so if there were a leak in a bathroom adjacent to the laminate and it was not properly sealed with silicone under and over the backer rod, moisture would travel and find its way to the edge of the floor.

In the case of LVP, I've never seen/read where backer rod or silicone is required for the edges. For all intents and purposes, vinyl is a plastic and pretty much impervious to moisture on its own.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloorFreak For This Useful Post:
mrcat (01-12-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
Pro

So how does a bead of caulk on the bottom of the rod and a bead of caulk on top seal foam backer rod?, and if we are sealing the floor for moisture should we not apply a bead of caulk to all the seams ?.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #18

Trade: c54 & c6

Make sure you use the caulk that can expands 400% times the original amount, so 4 times more then you're original application. Below feezing temps, caulk between wall and laminate, same goes for tile back splash, use a spacer first before the first row of tile (touching the CT)..i think its called elastic caulking, this way you dont see cracks in the caulk after a few months.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 690

and green-side up..
Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post

Around here the only time we skip shoe moulding is on cabinets and we scribe the toe kick/base to the floor.

really , shoe-moulding always?

that's a traditional look, allot of clients don`t like that at all.
i give the client a choice " you either have to have this 1/4 round , or i have to remove all your existing base board , and we have to install new after the fact , which will cost you more "

most likely the reason they gave it to you is because most people they sell to are home owners,
so the home owner is looking to up-grade a room
the room most times already has base board.
so you have to have the 1/4-round at the end , to cover the expansion space you need.
that way a home owner doesn`t need to remove all his base board , and can go right to work installing his new floor
you can return it ,cuz your doing it the right way.

Advertisement