If I Am Not Licensed In AZ, Can I Hire Subcontractors That Are Licensed And Supervise - Flooring - Contractor Talk

If I Am Not Licensed In AZ, Can I Hire Subcontractors That Are Licensed And Supervise

Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 6

If I Am Not Licensed In AZ, Can I Hire Subcontractors That Are Licensed And Supervise

I am licensed in California. A property owner wants me to do some flooring work on his poperty in Arizona and Colorado. I would rather avoid the hassle of becoming licensed in those states. If I hire subcontractors that are licensed in each state, and who follow my instruction and supervision, can I avoid getting a license?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,428

Re: If I Am Not Licensed In AZ, Can I Hire Subcontractors That Are Licensed And Supervise

You would be acting as a GC, which still typically requires a license. In other cases, you could be construed to be an agent, which would require a business license

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 190

Re: If I Am Not Licensed In AZ, Can I Hire Subcontractors That Are Licensed And Supervise

I believe that California and Arizona have reciprocity, that is the system set up to obtain a contractors license is streamlined between these states and may not be as difficult as you think.
I have not had a chance to go through this though so take this for what it is worth (not much).

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

I'm not an Attorney (but I play one on TV ), but I would think you could act as a consultant for your friend on the projects as long as HE's the one who signs the contracts, not you. In that situation, he would be the homeowner hiring out his project and signs all the contracts.

You, as his friend.... are there in his absence to make sure they go forward as he wishes them to go.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddono View Post
I am licensed in California. A property owner wants me to do some flooring work on his poperty in Arizona and Colorado. I would rather avoid the hassle of becoming licensed in those states. If I hire subcontractors that are licensed in each state, and who follow my instruction and supervision, can I avoid getting a license?
NO!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

From what I read, you apply with a waiver of the exam. It does sound like it might be a bit easier than thought
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineMD View Post
NO!
Timberline - I dig that catchphrase. Putting that on the wall in the office!

Cheers
Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Thank you for your replies. I have heard from other contractors that it is not uncommon (at least in California) for a contractor unlicensed in the state to use another contractor's license to get a bond. We're not trying to avoid responsibility, and plan to take all necessary steps to insure and ensure our work.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

i have looked into Arizona's license reciprocity, and at the very least I would have to take and pass a business management. There is no reciprocity for "speialty" contractors (including flooring), but all except for wood flooring do not require trade exams, and thus I would not need to take one to acquire a license. Despite that, my main concern would be to begin work on this project ASAP.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Edited: Do the owner a favor and tell him to find someone who can do it legally. Trying to do it illegally will expose the owner to liability, and will not be doing him a favor.

Advertisement

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 07-12-2015 at 04:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
sunkist (07-12-2015)