How To Remove Turf Glue From A Porous Exterior Concrete? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

How To Remove Turf Glue From A Porous Exterior Concrete?

Old 09-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Trade: Concrete Resurfacing / Decorative Concrete
Rewards Points: 12

How To Remove Turf Glue From A Porous Exterior Concrete?

Hi guys,

I've spent all day yesterday trying to remove 300 sq feet of glue. I'm a concrete resurfacing contractor, and the client hired me to remove the glue and stain the floor.

I can normally remove glue of a 300 sq foot room, and prep the floor in two-three hours.

I tried pressure washing, and it didn't work. I tried several strippers from home depot (which all seemed very much the same), and pressure washing, but that also didn't work. Scraping is not an option because of the porosity.

I also tried grinding with a 10" grinder. Between the concrete being too porous, and the blades constantly getting clogged with residue, it did almost nothing.

I'm thinking I need to soften the glue up with some sort of chemical, and then pressure wash it. I just can't seem to find the right chemical.

Have you got any advice?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC

Re: How To Remove Turf Glue From A Porous Exterior Concrete?

Check these guys out:

https://www.jondon.com/chemicals/aba...-removers.html

I've also seen the abatement guys use a soy based solvent that worked really well to remove glue from concrete.

Advertisement

concretestain (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, I saw a video of those guys on youtube.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your reply. I'm not familiar with the abatement guys, nor with the soy-based solvet. Do you care to expand on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretestain View Post
Thanks for the link, I saw a video of those guys on youtube.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your reply. I'm not familiar with the abatement guys, nor with the soy-based solvet. Do you care to expand on that?
When removing asbestos VCT and the stubborn mastic (glue) the asbestos abatement guys use a soy based glue remover/dissolver.

California is VERY stringent on what solvents/chemicals can be used for various purposes, especially in schools.

First time I saw the soy solvent everyone, including the abatement guys, were leery as to how/if it would work.

Worked awesome.
BlueRidgeGreen (09-19-2019), concretestain (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for the clarification! I'll call Sentinel and see which specific product they recommend
Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,295

I once used the soy-based stuff (Bean-e-doo) to remove black cutback adhesive on a concrete floor basement (used under 9x9 asbestos tiles), in order to prep for epoxy. The stuff was amazing. It softens the adhesive, and then you apply something to absorb the mess and scoop it up. I forget what they recommended, but something like sweeping compound or cat litter..whatever to absorb it. (Orange contractor solvent worked to clean up any remaining residue..if you run out of the soy stuff)

Then you reapply as needed for what you missed...clean it up...and finally you neutralize the floor with "Emerge". It came out great. Finish coat was one-part epoxy, and it was nice and tight for a long while.

Since it's environmentally-friendly, I would imagine that you could pressure wash it, but first wet the surroundings down...and rinse everything thoroughly afterward. This is just a hunch....but possibly worth a try.

Last edited by MarkJames; 09-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
concretestain (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 AM   #7

Thank you for your thorough reply. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try it out. I picked up a sample of the 747+, upon contacting Sentinel directly. By then, though, the customer got scared about the whole thing taking too long and decided to cancel. I really wanted to know if this would work for future references. And there's the money, of course.
I'm not sure why that happened since I specifically told him that I have gotten a free sample, and if it worked, I was going to charge him for the project as initially agreed upon. What are ya gonna do

Last edited by concretestain; 09-23-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #8

Trade: Painting and Flooring
Rewards Points: 2

I do a lot of concrete staining work as well. I normally use the carbide blades on a grinder to remove the thick adhesive. They are square blades with multiple sides meant for scraping adhesives and what not. Then I go back over it and grind the surface to open the pores and get the top layer that has glue soaked into it off. Just something to try for next time.

Advertisement