Hardwood Flooring Strip Cracked... - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Hardwood Flooring Strip Cracked...

Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 280

Hardwood Flooring Strip Cracked...

I've been working in an 11 year old home this past week that has 2 1/4" hardwood strip flooring throughout the kitchen and hallway.

I've been in and out of the areas often and yesterday before I got ready to leave, the owner asked me to look at something.

It's a crack in a strip of the hardwood floor that raised up. It looks like it was caused by buckling. Bad enough it was a tripping hazard and I covered it with a throw rug.

The crack is probably 2' from a kitchen wall but more in line with the boards in the hallway...meaning, if you drew a straight line from the front door, at the end of the hallway, it would intersect with the cracked area.
The boards in the hallway follow the direction of the kitchen boards (all one plane) and are laid perpendicular to the hallway walls.

This pretty much had to have happened yesterday as there is lots of traffic in the area. She has an old dog that she is constantly tending to in the kitchen area...she is always in stocking feet so I think it would have been noticed if it was more than a day or two old.

The only thing that was different was...yesterday, I had 3 windows open and a fan blowing air out. I was painting and the paint bothers the husband. She still had the A.C on and I didn't think it was that humid inside...a little but not much.

I don't have a picture yet. I'll get one tomorrow.

It's hard for me to imagine 15' or so of this floor swelling and pushing against the end where the front door is down the hallway.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Re: Hardwood Flooring Strip Cracked...

Opening a window or painting won't make the floor move.

A thin floor might have a split tongue. Ie the top tongue gets so thin from sanding that it eventually splits off the board. It can happen on newer floor of the subflooring isn't level and the floor is sanded flat over a hump.

If it's not a split tongue it could be a replaced board where the glue or top nails have worked loose. If it's actually concave its wet, if its convex it was wet and it dried out leaving the edge raised. Only thing that will make the floor do that is water or urine.

So either the dog pissed on the floor or there is a leak at the fridge or the kitchen sink. Did you move the fridge and potentially yank on the waterline or do any work on the sink?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Robie (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more

That's a water issue, not a humidity issue. Humidity doesn't cause wood to move that much in that short of time span. Got a moisture meter to check the moisture of the flooring?
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Robie (10-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 280

There we go. The dog she has is old...very old and frail. She's constantly cleaning up urine. This is the spot where she would stand looking down the hallway at the gate they put up to keep her in.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
There we go. The dog she has is old...very old and frail. She's constantly cleaning up urine. This is the spot where she would stand looking down the hallway at the gate they put up to keep her in.

Thanks!

I put in thousands of sq ft of hardwood every year because of peoples dogs & cats pissing on the carpet. Little fido makes me a lot of money.

We refinish a lot of floors that are stained with pet stains. When I sand those stained area's, the urine stench is incredibly strong. Makes me wanna puke.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Robie (10-02-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #6

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
I put in thousands of sq ft of hardwood every year because of peoples dogs & cats pissing on the carpet. Little fido makes me a lot of money.

We refinish a lot of floors that are stained with pet stains. When I sand those stained area's, the urine stench is incredibly strong. Makes me wanna puke.
Haha wow I never thought about this. So much money being made off of cat and dog pee. I make sure to get my house cleaner to do a thorough cleaning of the carpet after I do the initial cleanup of cat pee.

Advertisement