Hardwood Floor Install - Subfloor With Local High MC - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Hardwood Floor Install - Subfloor With Local High MC

Old 03-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2

Hardwood Floor Install - Subfloor With Local High MC

I have a customer in central Maryland with a 12 year old house. 1st floor has prefinished Santos mahogany 3/4" x 3-1/2" solid flooring on most of the first floor except 3 rooms (original to the house). The job is to rip out the carpet in those 3 rooms and install more prefinished Santos mahogany flooring (solid, 3/4").

House is on a full basement with 9 foot ceilings in the basement, not near any water, sloping away from house in all directions.

While ripping out the carpet, I found 3 spots where their dog had peed, which apparently they were well aware of. There was urine smell, but it wasn't fresh. Customer says the last time he did it was 6 years ago, which I can't validate. The subfloor was dry to the touch in those areas. I suggested to the HO that he seal those areas with BIN, which he did.

I checked moisture content in the subfloor in all the rooms in several locations (Lignomat SDM, subfloor is nominal 3/4" OSB). The subfloor is ~5.5-7% MC everywhere except those 3 spots where the dog peed. In those spots, the MC ranges from 9 - 13% MC. I have the new flooring (boxed) in the rooms acclimating, samples are ~6-8% MC. Will be using Aquabar B underlayment. The flooring has been in the rooms for 2 weeks, carpet has been ripped up for 3 weeks.

The area in the basement under the pee spots is finished, so I can't see the bottom of the subfloor.

Here's my problem: Those three spots where the dog peed are high in MC and aren't going down. I'm at a loss for what to do. The spots are pretty small and localized, like the size of a platter or really big dinner plate. I see 3 options:
1. Rest of the subfloor is just fine, the spots are relatively small, install the new floor right over it. This feels like the not-so-right option.
2. Continue to wait and see what MC does. Keep fingers crossed that it comes down.
3. Cut out the subfloor in those areas and replace.

Any other option? Anybody have a way to dry out the floor in local spots, like with a heater or something?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 302

Re: Hardwood Floor Install - Subfloor With Local High MC

I would lay a vapor barrier over those areas and move forward.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rjconstructs For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,482

Low risk scenario. Spot moisture like that is scary but I usually dont see major problems until 14-16 throughout the floor.

Spend 60 bucks on plywood and cut it out. Your customer will respect you and you can sleep at night.

Or get a change order and make an extra $200.00. If the customer won't pay it then they don't get a warranty and you can sleep at night.

Run fans over the wet areas for two days before install. Put down two layers aquabar in the wet areas. You can sleep at night.

Make the customer by two extra bundles of flooring. If there is cupping, cut out and replace offending area with leftover flooring. Charge the **** out of the client. You can sleep at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
asevereid (03-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,482

PS you could have cut and replace the subfloor by now...
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
mrcat (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 406

^^^^^^
This, you could have had it cut out and replaced in the time it would have taken me to type all that lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk