Flooring Question - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Flooring Question

Old 02-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Flooring Question

Can you put that Square peel off the back flooring in a bathroom. Don't no what it is called. I sure you know what I'm talking about. Seen it advertise at menards on sale for $1.29 a square. or will it just come unstuck after about a year being in the bathroom where I take a shower in ? Small full bath. Sink,Toliet, Bathtub/shower combination.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Flooring Question

You sure can. I hope that you're planning on moving out shortly. The adhesive on them sucks and they have a way of moving around. The corners will also lift and lacerate toes until someone wearing shoes knocks them off. If money is a problem, cheap tile is about $.99 a sq.ft. and only takes a little longer to install.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Pro

You seen me in the other forum ask about peeling paint in bathroom. So I just thought hey if I'm going to final get those walls looking good what about the floor. I thought that type of floor tiles probably are not good for bathrooms. Meaning good maybe for like small entrance when you walk into a house. I just have carpet down now. Ceramic tile would mean cement board over existing plywood I assuming because thats the way I seen them done on this old house. I would then have to have plumber raise cooper baseboard heat up in room because once i put cement board down no clearance underneath cooper base board heat for air to get under. I seen tile mart this big tile warehouse in chicago was having a sale the floor is only 7 feet to bathtub and 6 wide. You no If i got tile and a couple of pieces of cement board I don't think a guy would charge very much to knock it out because of its size... :Thumbs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Can you put that Square peel off the back flooring in a bathroom. Don't no what it is called. I sure you know what I'm talking about. Seen it advertise at menards on sale for $1.29 a square. or will it just come unstuck after about a year being in the bathroom where I take a shower in ? Small full bath. Sink,Toliet, Bathtub/shower combination.
yes you can use it. but an average bathroom is about 25 square feet .why not go ceramic tile? you only need around 25 12 inch tile one bag on this set a quarter bag og sanded grout. and new wax ring and longer bolts for toilet less than 40 dollars and you have it forever. go ahead and use the stick down vct or what we call vinyl squares they will work just fine. be sure to caulk real good between base boards, tub, toilet and cabinets. and check once in a while to see if re caulking is needed. tile girl in florida wishes u luck
Old 02-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

I don't think the caulk will matter much. It'll take about a week for water to penetrate between every single vinyl tile. You're better off with ceramic or even a cheapo sheet vinyl.

Don

Look, I know the voices in my head aren't real, it's just that lately they've had some really good points.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

747, I was speaking from experience. I have seen it all too often.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Pro

:Thumbs: Thanks everybody for you input sorry I didn't get back sooner. Did a international flight to philippine(Metro Manila) Aqino airport. My laptop didn't work in the hotel room there.

Advertisement